Frozen Shoulder

Mike737

So, after suffering with a frozen shoulder for some 12 months, (and being unable to shoot for all that time!), the consultant has decided I need an operation. It's going to be a keyhole arthroscopy, into my right shoulder, and I'm booked in for the 18th March. I put the cat among the pigeons a bit when I told him we were booked for a fortnight's holiday some 4 weeks later, which gave hime cause for concern, as he said I could still be in discomfort, though after a second discussion he agreed it would be alright to go.

Now, as the consultant himself has never undergone this procedure, only performed it on others, I wondered if anyone here has had one done, and long it took to recover from it. He says it's not a 'magic bullet' op, and will take time to regain full mobility and the pain to pass. I'm 62.

Thanks,

Mike.

My wife had it done about three years ago,she reckons it was four to six weeks for it to settle down,my daughter had the same op,but it took quite a while for it to settle,everyone heals at different levels,i have had a frozen shoulder twice before so i know what your going through,good luck :good:

I've had it done twice on the same knee. The most recent about a week ago. It involves a general anesthetic and a local one in the knee or shoulder. Arthroscopy involves a relatively small tube and in my case they trimmed some cartilage, in your case it looks like they are 'browsing'. The affected joint is initally pumped up a touch with sterile fluid to give a bit of 'wriggle room' and in my case it took about an hour. The first time (15 years ago) I was in overnight and the knee had a drain, which was removed the following day - no problem at all. This time they were tidying it up as I'd had stiffness and a bit of discomfort after walking (beating) 5 or 6 miles. I went in at 7.30, was prepped for the procedure at 8.00 and collected at 2.00 pm after being cleared of drowsiness after the anesthetic. I was walking immediately. A big bandage on the knee to protect it which I took off when home. Plasters over the entry and drain holes (remember saline solution) for 7 days and that was it. The knee is better than the one which has had no surgery and I'd happily do it again. All I can say is, question your surgeon so you know he's up to the job and go for it - I can say that, apart for a swollen knee for 2/3 days it was back to normal almost immediately.

Good Luck.

I hope and expect your problem will be resolved an hour after you go under.

Let me know !

if what your having done is whats called a decompression then 4-6 weeks with physio sounds about right, but the change from what you are going through now is so good you won`t care, had my left shoulder done 6 years ago and now need the other one doing, they can be reluctant to do the op as it may need to be redone at a later date but they can do mine asap, not shot even an air gun since November and getting fed up with a mix of painkillers and anti inflamatories, besides, the mrs is starting to complain that the only place I can sleep (when I can sleep) is propped up on the sofa and the beds cold

Thanks to all for the positive responses! Neil, I think that's what they call it, they are going to remove some gubbins from inside the socket, relieving pressure on the tendons and muscle. I haven't been able to shoot for 12 months, struggle with most everyday tasks, can't pour the kettle out right-handed, can't get comfortable in bed or a proper night's sleep etc. etc. Months of physio has achieved nothing except pain, so I am really looking forward to the op. and getting it sorted. I'm self-employed though, so there's no sick pay...

Mike.

Thanks to all for the positive responses! Neil, I think that's what they call it, they are going to remove some gubbins from inside the socket, relieving pressure on the tendons and muscle. I haven't been able to shoot for 12 months, struggle with most everyday tasks, can't pour the kettle out right-handed, can't get comfortable in bed or a proper night's sleep etc. etc. Months of physio has achieved nothing except pain, so I am really looking forward to the op. and getting it sorted. I'm self-employed though, so there's no sick pay...

Mike.

24hrs in hospital, arm immobilised for 3 days, negligible painkillers post op and sleep like a baby, whats not to like, seriously tho, do what your physio tells you to do post op and no more, the relief after the op compared to constant pain interspersed with total agony every time you twist your arm the wrong way will make you think everything is ok from the word go, take things easy as the muscle wastage from ages of underuse is easy to forget about,, good luck, hope you have the same result I had (and hope to have when the other side is done later this year)

I had the rotator cuff op, radial reduction.

Don't skive on the physio no matter what and you'll be fine.

My shoulder sounded like a bag of marbles before the op but is fine now

v similar...if you are having bit of rotator cuff shaved off,hurts alot for few days but after 3-4 weeks should be good...

• 4 weeks later...

Well, no pm requests for the address, so that's a bit disappointing, looks like I'll have to buy my own grapes... :unhappy: , but in at 08.00 tomorrow, nil by mouth, all being well home the same day. Really frustrated watching the flocks of one to two-hundred pigeons on the field opposite my house, never seen so many! Hope to be back on them in a couple of months! :good: Of course by then, there'll be no flocks, will there? :no:

Mike.

Just watch the lifting Mike!

I know it'll be tempting to think "Ah, I can just turn that chair round", but leave it - It only takes seconds longer to call someone else over.

I'll echo Ian's comment and say "make sure you let it heal properly."

Take it easy.