stoeger poor accuracy

fieldwanderer

The farmer recently asked me to help his son set the scope up on his air rifle. It's a stoeger break action with plastic stock and built in "silencer".

I got the lad to put 5 shots in a target at 25yds (measured) but the group was about 6"! Frankly, his technique was pretty awful though so I gave him a few pointers and tried again with exactly the same result.

So, I had a go and put 5 very carefully aimed shots down - yet again though a 6" group!

I think he's over oiled it to be honest but I've had a few air rifles apart over the years and I'll offer to take it away to see if I can sort it for him. I think a real good clean and check everything over would make quite a difference. But, I thought I'd ask first if anyone's had the same issues and if they found the cause?

Could just be the wrong pellet for the barrel as already suggested .

Make sure he has not put any oil down the barrel , and that he is not cleaning the barrel between uses , if the barrel has been oiled it will need cleaning through with some dry patches and a good few pellets running through it before things start to improve.

I've got a stoeger x20 had the same issues with changed the trigger on it and made a difference but again was only getting 2 inch groups with it, gonna try a diff scope at some point as it never groups in the same place

Yeah, not expecting miracles but it could do with being a bit better. My airsporter used to put groups down all day long that were smaller than a 5p at 35yds (.177).

My feinwerkbau p70 is in a totally different class though; put 10 shots through 4.5mm at 10mtrs when I had ammunition batch tested at h&n, the tightest group that year from what was said!

A Stoeger is a cheap and cheerful springer, and unfortunately it is what it is. I suppose some might be better than others, but at the end of the day it is made for shooting tin cans and very little else.

I think you'd have a job hitting a tin can with this one to be honest, takes the fun out of it somewhat.

Thanks chaps, I'll have a word next time I see him and, if he lets me, I'll see what I can do :good:

Just noticed this thread.

I have a Stoeger, X20 , which the first owner got rid of because of the poor accuracy.(4 inch groups)

The breech end of the barrel , has NO lead in for the pellet, (its not slightly countersunk or even , de burred 'carp' workmanship).

So I got a stepped hole cutting tool from the tool shed, and put gently a 1 mm chamfer/lead on the barrel hole.

Instant accuracy. WW Trigger and spring kit. great gun.

But it was the lead in for the pellet, that changed the accuracy. And even better with Superdomes , than AA Diablos.that the HW95 likes.

• 5 years later...

I have a Stoeger X20 which I bought in 2013. It was pretty accurate in the beginning.  I began to have accuracy problems like going off zero 4 to 5 inches up or down.  I thought that the rifle recoil had damaged the Stoeger 3-9x32 scope that came with the rifle.  I have other guns so I didn't bother with it for quite a while.  Recently tried it again with the same results. It would shoot fine then go off 4 to 5 inches. I tried another scope and it happened again.  The scope I used was another cheapie.    I just got a Leapers UTG 4-16x40 scope and tried it on the gun.  The same thing happened.  Now I was quite sure that it was the gun.  I noticed that the barrel seemed to be sagging and not lined up with the spring tube.  I fired some rounds grouping ok.  Then the POI jumped again.  I checked the barrel  and it now appeared to be lined up with the spring tube. I was keeping track of the alignment angles between the barrel and the spring tube.  The barrel had moved up 2mm.  I was only shooting about 10 meters and the variation was over 4 inches. I don't know how to fix this.   I hope that this helps someone.                                                                                                                                                                                                      

On 28/02/2015 at 08:56, Longbower said:

Just noticed this thread.

I have a Stoeger, X20 , which the first owner got rid of because of the poor accuracy.(4 inch groups)

The breech end of the barrel , has NO lead in for the pellet, (its not slightly countersunk or even , de burred 'carp' workmanship).

So I got a stepped hole cutting tool from the tool shed, and put gently a 1 mm chamfer/lead on the barrel hole.

Instant accuracy. WW Trigger and spring kit. great gun.

But it was the lead in for the pellet, that changed the accuracy. And even better with Superdomes , than AA Diablos.that the HW95 likes.

Hello, you can do the same with a round head brass slotted screw in a drill and cutting paste it is what most people use when chopping a barrel down, can do same with pellet seat, 

Tell him cack and best buy a better rifle. Saves any Hassel and time messing with a dud.

The lad wants to enjoy shooting. Nothing worse than doing it all right and gun lets you down no matter how hard you try. Even the best would get disheartened.