Which breed?

peek-at

I do rabbit control using rifles which might entail walking up or sitting tight on a warren. At some point I fancy getting myself a dog that can come with me and do the fetching.

I love spaniels and would like a springer or cocker but wonder if they are really the right breed for this. The obvious dog for the job is a Labrador but I would like to tap your knowledge to see if a spaniel might do just as well. Would the breed be happy to be quiet and retrieve without running around like an idiot?

Cheers

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about a Sussex or Clumber Spaniel.

Or even a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. :)

Why would you even consider one of the lesser known or show breeds?

Stick to the obvious and he'll have a much better chance of getting a dog that does what he wants.

Personally I can't see why you would need a dog for picking up shot rabbits off a warren?

There not going anywhere.

Spaniels were bred to find game, retrievers to fetch it back, choice seems obvious

Totally agree with WGD.

All three are working breeds. The Sussex are particularly good at wildfowling and can carry a goose. The Toller were bred for ducks hence the name. The Clumber is a gundog too.

Even if you don't "need" a dog they are good company and something warm to snuggle on a cold weatherday in the hide.

My Setter who I inherited when we lost my Dad is from a line of show dogs. He has Crufts supreme champion in his bloodline. No field trialers in there at all. He is flushing now and retrieved his first pigeon recently. He will never win do a field trial as he won't retrieve a dummy, but if it warm and bloody he will fetch it for me.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

All three are working breeds. The Sussex are particularly good at wildfowling and can carry a goose. The Toller were bred for ducks hence the name. The Clumber is a gundog too.

I think if the sussex was particularly good at wildfowling we would see some on the marsh , I have yet to see one nor know anyone that has one.

The Toller traditionally named piper we'd bred to look similar to a fox and entice / lure/ drive ducks into a decoy

The retriever bit has only recently been added

Not suitable for the op in my opinion

Lab or golden good companion steady dogs

Would do the job

All the best

Of

I think if the sussex was particularly good at wildfowling we would see some on the marsh , I have yet to see one nor know anyone that has one.

You must have missed this one. Half way down the first page of this thread.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/300604-chewing-toys/?hl=olde&do=findComment&comment=2704317

You must have missed this one. Half way down the first page of this thread.

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/300604-chewing-toys/?hl=olde&do=findComment&comment=2704317

No I have seen the picture and thread before , just because a dog can carry a goose does not make it a good wildfowling dog , I had a cocker that could carry a goose , he would never have been good enough for wildfowling , sending that sussex across a fast flowing tide in the middle of winter to bring a large goose back would probably lead to a dead dog , they are long haired , will soak water up like a sponge and will freeze

No I have seen the picture and thread before , just because a dog can carry a goose does not make it a good wildfowling dog , I had a cocker that could carry a goose , he would never have been good enough for wildfowling , sending that sussex across a fast flowing tide in the middle of winter to bring a large goose back would probably lead to a dead dog , they are long haired , will soak water up like a sponge and will freeze

This is the point. Newfoundlands are very long thick hair too. They are bred to swim in Canadian Waters which are normally far colder than ours.

Anyway all that is irrelevant as it will be fetching rabbits. A border terrier or plummer can do that.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

This is the point. Newfoundlands are very long thick hair too. They are bred to swim in Canadian Waters which are normally far colder than ours.

Anyway all that is irrelevant as it will be fetching rabbits. A border terrier or plummer can do that.

But we were not talking about a newfoundland were we , we were talking about the suitability of a sussex spaniel as a wildfowling dog , which is also irrelevant to the OP's question , a wet spaniel will do little but suffer on a freezing marsh and will be limited in the retrieves it can make .

T

I do rabbit control using rifles which might entail walking up or sitting tight on a warren. At some point I fancy getting myself a dog that can come with me and do the fetching.

I love spaniels and would like a springer or cocker but wonder if they are really the right breed for this. The obvious dog for the job is a Labrador but I would like to tap your knowledge to see if a spaniel might do just as well. Would the breed be happy to be quiet and retrieve without running around like an idiot?

Cheers[/quote

I keep a springer and a clumber and four labs if you want something to fetch a few rabbits the lab is just the job some springers are hot the bitch that's here is a FTW and sharp so need constant handling the clumber is a great gundog but would not be my choice for your type of work as they can and will be hard headed from time to time.

What about a Sussex or Clumber Spaniel.

Or even a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. :)

Great possibilities in both, people get too hung up on pure breeds when so many cross breads do the job just as well if not better now a days!

Fen boy you are a new comer to wild fowling I believe...so unless you have shot the foreshores country wide then it would be true to say you wont of seen many breads during your short time eh? :lol: Fixed your recall problems yet btw? ^ ^

Edited by Jame

Great possibilities in both, people get too hung up on pure breads when so many cross breads do the job just as well if not better now a days!

Fen boy you are a new comer to wild fowling I believe...so unless you have shot the foreshores country wide then it would be true to say you wont of seen many breads during your short time eh? :lol: Fixed your recall problems yet btw? ^ ^

Yes thanks , Jame , I dont know what I have done to personally upset you but you keep popping up acting like a arrogant ***** when I have a opinion on something , as we live in the same county would you like my address so you can come around and discuss your concerns like a man instead of acting like a tool on here ?

I do not need to shoot the foreshore country wide to know the sussex spaniel is not suitable for work on the foreshore.

Great possibilities in both, people get too hung up on pure breads when so many cross breads do the job just as well if not better now a days!

^

Must say I've not seen many BREADS out on the marsh Seen a few at my local lake getting fed to the ducks ! Usually Tesco value sliced or if the ducks are on a health kick they get wholemeal !!!

If all you need is a retriever, then get one, in my limited experience spaniels are far too enthusiastic to sit around waiting for hours for you to plink one, I'm not saying it can't be done but a lab would find it easier to sit around for long periods. It's possible a spaniel could drive you nuts.

I have tried different breads but only on my sandwiches!

Yes thanks , Jame , I dont know what I have done to personally upset you but you keep popping up acting like a arrogant ***** when I have a opinion on something , as we live in the same county would you like my address so you can come around and discuss your concerns like a man instead of acting like a tool on here ?

I do not need to shoot the foreshore country wide to know the sussex spaniel is not suitable for work on the foreshore.

Awe no need for that kind of talk! We all have our own opinions to offer based on own experiences of shooting, obviously you don't like anyone whose view differs from your own? I keep popping up what where and when? again nonsensical ranting from your part, chill out a tad...Throwing insults that are obviously malicious does not bode well on a public forum, as to "acting like a tool" well...you need to look closer to home imo.

Must say I've not seen many BREADS out on the marsh Seen a few at my local lake getting fed to the ducks ! Usually Tesco value sliced or if the ducks are on a health kick they get wholemeal !!!

Who needs a spell checker :P

Edited now :)

Awe no need for that kind of talk! We all have our own opinions to offer based on own experiences of shooting, obviously you don't like anyone whose view differs from your own? I keep popping up what where and when? again nonsensical ranting from your part, chill out a tad...Throwing insults that are obviously malicious does not bode well on a public forum, as to "acting like a tool" well...you need to look closer to home imo.

Who needs a spell checker :P

Edited now :)

Not ranting at all , just speaking as I find you .

You really think I would not know what I am talking about when discussing suitable dogs for the foreshore , just because I have only spent two seasons wildfowling ?

I live a mile at most from the marsh , I have known many, many wildfowlers and had many friends who have shot the marshes for years and none of them have or would consider a sussex spaniel .

You however would , so perhaps you would like to fill us in on your wildfowling experience and all the sussex spaniels you have met on the foreshore , perhaps the rest of us are missing a trick.

Perhaps you should put a what dog for wildfowling thread up in the wildfowling section and see what answers you would get from members that have been doing it for 30 - 40 years and more.

Sussex's are steady determined hunters but they will not make fantastic retrievers. Even their muzzle dimensions male this more difficult. Handling wise they are more of a challenge, given this is rifle shooting, handling at longer distance is essential. there is good advice and bad advice. For what the OP has said the dog will be used the good advice is get a lab