Which breed?

peek-at

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wj939

I suppose that would meet the needs of the wildfowler a steady hunter with double coat and Webbed toes that will not make a fantastic retriever, I think not they must be good retrievers full stop.

I've seen them work quite a bit, they are not great retrievers, they don't take handling as well as a lab. But yes they can swim well. I'm not slating them, but there's no way your telling me they are great wildfowling dogs.

Bringing this back to the original point, a sussex is a poor recommendation for the requirements of the OP.

Most dogs can swim pretty well , but swimming through a good tide in freezing water carrying a goose is a different ball game , that is what a good wildfowling dog needs to do .

If you are only shooting the odd duck inland then perhaps one of the lesser breeds will suffice , I have always had spaniels , but as soon as I decided to start wildfowling I brought a Lab .

I've seen them work quite a bit, they are not great retrievers, they don't take handling as well as a lab. But yes they can swim well. I'm not slating them, but there's no way your telling me they are great wildfowling dogs.

Bringing this back to the original point, a sussex is a poor recommendation for the requirements of the OP.

Read my post properly I pointed out to you it matters not how well they swim hunt have great big fat webbed feet if they aren't good retrievers they are no good for wildfowling hope that helps.

But then there are the hardcore breeds that will out perform a lab....... Unnecessary for most as a lab is the easiest choice

I quite agree , if I was wildfowling and only wildfowling I personally would have a chessie .

What about the cheapeake bay retriever..thats got to be the right choice for the hardest weather for fowling ..

You beat me to it !

So... about this OP that wants his dog to pick rifle shot rabbits...

Oh yeah I had forgot about that , I sort of answered in my first post that a dog will do what its trained for to a degree , but to be honest in the case of rifle shot rabbits , I really do not see a need for a dog at all, but then I guess plenty of us have stuff we want rather than need.

Oh yeah I had forgot about that , I sort of answered in my first post that a dog will do what its trained for to a degree , but to be honest in the case of rifle shot rabbits , I really do not see a need for a dog at all, but then I guess plenty of us have stuff we want rather than need.

If you don't have a dog which hole do you know to put your hand down to find the rabbit? Looks like rifle shooting rabbits is another thing that ain't done much of.

So... about this OP that wants his dog to pick rifle shot rabbits...

Thanks for that WGD...... :)

In the not too distant future I will be in the fortunate position of retiring and having plenty of time on my hands (once the wife's inevetible 'to do' list is done)...... I would like to have a 'buddy' to go out walking & shooting with so he/she will be for company, as well as being useful.

I did expect the concensus to be to go for a retriever to retrieve but as said, I do love the springer/cocker......I would welcome any further opinions as to whether these can be trained 'to be a labrador' (if you know what I mean) or if I am just barking up the wrong tree!

:good:

I've had several Cockers, they are usually affectionate & have a good nature, I'd say you can train them to be a Labrador. They are harder to train than a Labrador though, their desire to hunt can make them awkward. I've never had one not pick game but they can lack an interest in dummies, (****** that, I'd rather hunt) this makes training them to do long retrieves, blinds etc a bit of a con job rather than a simple ABC game you'd play with a Labrador. I'd also say that a Cocker is more likely to be fractious when you're out shooting. They're bright, inquisitive dogs & there's a good chance that whilst you're sat tight waiting for bunnies a cocker will be trying to get up to see what's going on.

If i was going to train a Cocker purely as a retriever, from an early age -

I'd get it to be retrieve daft

I'd not allow it any free hunting & I'd keep it off gamey ground.

I'd put Labrador skills into it, lead work, sit & stay etc

If you've got some real rabbit ground, get rid of the rifle, train a cocker the proper way & shoot them with a shotgun. You can't beat the fun of rabbiting over a decent dog.

I'd not allow it any free hunting & I'd keep it off gamey ground.

Which basically means don't take it for a walk. I agree with everything Perce says, it is perfectly doable with the right dog, but unnecessarily complicated when a lab fits the bill better, IMO.

Somteimes in these which reed threads it appears some of the posters just look at pretty pictures of a dogs/breeds and reccommend that without ever training 1 or working 1, some complete nonsense as usual.

I'd say perce and wgd above are spot on as usual, Yes the right trainer can train the right dog to do almost anything, but very dependent on the trainers experience/knowledge (and being honest if u had the experience/knowledge u would just buy the breed u want and not ask online) but not all spaniels would be suitable some will just be too hunting orientated no matter how good u are.

I'd say an hpr would be even worse than a spaniel, they have be bred for generations to hunt/quarter at massive distances so even more likely to be fidety or noisey when sat still, same again the right indivdual may be ok but plenty won't. I have seen some of the best hpr's in the country FTCH and while brilliant on the moor/open ground, none off them handle anything like a well trained lab

The sensible choice is a decent working/beating line strain lab, doesn't need loads of FTCH's in its pedigree, will do exactly wot u want with a minimum fuss and fairly easy to train.

If u fancy something different (other than a fancy coloured lab) u could go with a Flatty or Golden but both generally slower to mature and harder to train than a lab and less geniune working stock about.

If it's ur first working dog and u want to get it to a decent standard a lab is the only real choice.

Somteimes in these which reed threads it appears some of the posters just look at pretty pictures of a dogs/breeds and reccommend that without ever training 1 or working 1, some complete nonsense

I'd say an hpr would be even worse than a spaniel, they have be bred for generations to hunt/quarter at massive distances so even more likely to be fidety or noisey when sat still

I'd say you don't have much experience, except as a spectator, of HPRs. They're nothing like as fidgety or wired as a spaniel. Bracchi and Spinoni, for instance, are incredibly laid back dogs.

I agree a lab is the obvious choice for this work, but complete nonsense to suggest that, for instance, Bracchi and Spinoni are more fidgety than spaniels.