Which breed?

peek-at

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because for a retrieving job I'd use a retrieving dog, not a hunting dog.

So would I. But that's got nothing to do with the point. Which was that as the OP seems like he doesn't want a retriever, which kind of hunting dog would be likely to be to cope best. I didn't say "Get an HPR instead of a retriver"; I said "maybe certain HPRs would be easier to train for what you want than spaniels". Which is true. A Bracco or a Spinone would be better for that job than a working-bred spaniel, which would be ill-suited to it.

I don't know much about Bracco's and the Spinone's I have known are noisy, I have shot over a lot of HPRs. I know a little bit about spaniels and would take my chances with an appropriately bred springer before I'd have an HPR beside me, that's for sure.

I don't know much about Bracco's and the Spinone's I have known are noisy, I have shot over a lot of HPRs. I know a little bit about spaniels and would take my chances with an appropriately bred springer before I'd have an HPR beside me, that's for sure.

Fair enough. I'm the other way round, spaniels put me on edge; but each to his own. And we agree that the best thing for just retrieving would be to get a retriever.