Recommendations for reliable road legal supermoto/enduro bike

Joshua1993

Hello everyone,

Soon I will be looking to buy my first proper bike. I say that because I've only owned a 125 before and only had it a few months and rode it once.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a road legal supermoto/enduro bike as I would love to go down some green lanes and do a little off roading.

My concern is that I want something fairly light and reliable. I see most of these bikes require a lot of maintenance, I don't mind doing some work myself but I don't want to be doing an oil change ect.. every few outings.

I've been looking at the following 4 bikes in particular but I would be grateful if anyone could offer some advice:

WR250 - They seem quite costly and require quite a lot of work

DRZ 400 - Very reliable and great all round but they are quite expensive, hard to find and are a little heavy.

CRF250

KTM 250

Thanks for reading :good:

I've had 3 of those bikes.

Wr250 - nipped up twice on me and I was meticulous with maintenance as I raced it. Hated being started if hot and requires oil changes and Pistons regularly. Think I did Pistons at 40-50 hours use. Same as the crf and ktm I had.

Drz is heavy but reasonably reliable. Oil doesn't need changing as often either same with piston.

Have you looked at a Honda xr for road and trail? Far better if you're doing more road work than the more specific enduro bikes.

I've had 3 of those bikes.

Wr250 - nipped up twice on me and I was meticulous with maintenance as I raced it. Hated being started if hot and requires oil changes and Pistons regularly. Think I did Pistons at 40-50 hours use. Same as the crf and ktm I had.

Drz is heavy but reasonably reliable. Oil doesn't need changing as often either same with piston.

Have you looked at a Honda xr for road and trail? Far better if you're doing more road work than the more specific enduro bikes.

Thanks for your reply.

Ah, that's what really puts me off buying this style of bike as I was originally looking for a naked street bike - but I would really like to go a little off road, nothing to serious though.

I've just had a look at the XR's, there doesn't seem that many around and they look quite old. I'm guessing they only have a kick start to so not quite what I'm looking for.

The DRZ looks like the best option so far.

Edited by Joshua1993

i had a drz400 for ages, it was an E model so didnt have indicators, decent speedo etc and had the better flatslide carb + other more 'off roady' stuff,

006-4.jpg

other than 1 oil + filter change every 6 months it needed nothing,

another good en was my crm250.....

003-8.jpg

just fed it decent 2t oil and the occasional spark plug when starting went to 3 or more kicks and it was faultless

or for something older, reliable, fun and fast enough......

006-5.jpg

i had a mtx125 when i was 17 but never had the 200 so i bought one a while ago to scratch that itch, obvs not as focused as the others but just nice for a gentle plod along a greenlane or to blat to work on a nice morning to help start the day with a grin on your face :good:

i had a drz400 for ages, it was an E model so didnt have indicators, decent speedo etc and had the better flatslide carb + other more 'off roady' stuff,

other than 1 oil + filter change every 6 months it needed nothing,

another good en was my crm250.....

just fed it decent 2t oil and the occasional spark plug when starting went to 3 or more kicks and it was faultless

or for something older, reliable, fun and fast enough......

i had a mtx125 when i was 17 but never had the 200 so i bought one a while ago to scratch that itch, obvs not as focused as the others but just nice for a gentle plod along a greenlane or to blat to work on a nice morning to help start the day with a grin on your face :good:

Thanks for your response.

Okay the DRZ400 is certainly winning it for me at the moment.

Sorry but the MTX looks a little old and I've just looked at the prices, they seem quite rare now and expensive. Also sadly 2 stroke isn't really an option for me - so sorry to say this but I can't stand the sound of them, their like buzzy bees :lol:

I appreciate the information :good:

Edited by Joshua1993

I have one for sale ! 02 plate mint condition rare red 7300 On the clock !

Atb Dave

Thanks for your response Dave,

To be honest with you I wasn't looking to buy one until nearer May, as my Birthday is then and insurance will be cheaper for me.

Out of curiosity though where are you and how much would you be after?

Regards,

Joshua

If your not racing a wr 250 is perfect by 2006 on get the ally frame.. 450 even better coz I guarantee who ever had owned it before you wouldn't be able to ring the neck of it like most 250s. Very reliable capable bike.

Thanks for the advice. I certainly wouldn't be racing a WR250, nor would I go going fast. It does still worry me about the regular maintenance compared to a DRZ 400.

Hi Joshua I am after 2k for the bike mate

Atb Dave

Thank you for your message.

I appreciate the offer but to be honest with you I will probably wait a little while as I still haven't made my mind up for certain on what I want to buy (I don't want to make any rash decisions and regret it), you're quite a way from me as well (I'm located in Cambridge) and I still need to complete my MOD 2 in the next few weeks, just completed the MOD 1 today. :yahoo:

Regards,

Joshua

I've a WR450 2004 unmolested with 1800km on the clock

Very nice! I would certainly consider the WR450 too. Is it for sale? :whistling:

I have s Honda xr 400 r would highly recommend this bike.

I've had a look at those but there doesn't seem many around, probably due to their age.

Edited by Joshua1993

Guest Mick.j

As you don't want to do much or any maintenance, that rules out any KTM, Yamaha WR series, or any proper supermoto or enduro. Perhaps a CCM with the Suzuki DR engine, or an MZ Baghira with the Yamaha 660 engine would better suit your needs .As has been suggested a Honda FMX also fits the bill.