Why was our military reduced in size so much?

OJW

The change in spec is often due to the change in situation of the platform being developed. If you're fighting a conventional war, and expect to be doing s for a while, you want stuff that works in that environment. If you change to something else, the widget that you ordered might be useless and so will either have to be canned before delivery or changed before deployment.

Think about how much money the RAF spent making it's whizzy new fighters capable of dropping bombs. Or putting the cannon back in that they had originally ordered, then had removed. Think Navy with the carriers' catapults and arrestors.

In the meantime, the Army gets to use 30+ year old rifles with new bits bolted on and Landies.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would willingly pay more tax if it meant having a properly salaried and more capable armed forces at this point in time . 100, 000 does not seem enough with only a fraction of that combat soldiers . The countries who oppose us can field many more . Cant help recalling the Iranians capturing uk sailors making us look like pussies .

I dont think it would actually cost that much, if anything, because they would just be reducing the unemployment figures so its just moving money from one budget to another. And they could use the soldiers for practical work as well.

23 Feb 2015

I would willingly pay more tax if it meant having a properly salaried and more capable armed forces at this point in time . 100, 000 does not seem enough with only a fraction of that combat soldiers . The countries who oppose us can field many more . Cant help recalling the Iranians capturing uk sailors making us look like pussies .

Ha ha ha Hms Cornwall my old ship, I'd just left her when that happened, I was good friends with those that were captured, all down to politics and they had just mistakenly crossed into their territorial waters.

23 Feb 2015

Ha ha ha Hms Cornwall my old ship, I'd just left her when that happened, I was good friends with those that were captured, all down to politics and they had just mistakenly crossed into their territorial waters.

No disrespect intended whatsoever . Just referring to Iranians crude tv antics at the time . Less professional navy might have provoked a big conflict . See they got the Aussies about that time too .

It was a huge blunder, the US basically created a box to patrol but failed to recognise they'd took part of Iranians waters, not much either but enough, and when the Cornwalls ribs were intercepting the suspecting smuggler on the chow they crossed the line unknown to them provoking a response. A massive political gain for Iran and another blunder for us.:-(

I wonder what the (real) Russian defence budget is as a proportion of its GDP and also what is the percentage of the population, men and women that have had military training and are therefore capable of bearing arms against its perceived enemies?? :hmm: