Have you ever been hit by a broken clay?

PeaceFrog

over the years have been hit...never badly..seen some cuts,most memorable was when helping out at a charity clay day and a guest thought a diving catch on a half broken clay would be funny......it was'nt, a nasty deep gash saw the end of his day and I think 8 stitches required...

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

over the years have been hit...never badly..seen some cuts,most memorable was when helping out at a charity clay day and a guest thought a diving catch on a half broken clay would be funny......it was'nt, a nasty deep gash saw the end of his day and I think 8 stitches required..

I went shooting today and saw a chunk flying towards me and my first thought was that it would be humorous to catch it, then in the split second moment I recalled this thread (and all the gruesome imagery of getting stitches) and side stepped it instead. I was wearing glasses and a hat today, I reckon I always will after this thread!

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, got hit on Saturday

Doing grouse butts on a simulated day near Newmarket

Didn't see it coming from an adjacent trap, probably a full clay

Left me slightly stunned with a ringing noise in my head for the next ten mins

They supply caps and glasses, good choice!

The cap took the blow and saved a cut

N

on my last eye as had an accident with a bow an arrow as a kid, always wear glasses as wont take any chances. used to use an air rifle as a young lad couldn't understand when I came out of hospital why I couldn't line the open sights up, the accident had changed my dominant eye from right to left, learnt to shoot left handed.

Dinge in the bonnet and paint taken off to undercoat in 2 places

Going to have it looked at tomorrow - SMART I recon will be towards £200

I didn't hear it hit - driving out the second peg sporting is on the left. I saw the guy on button following something with his head . I did stop as I had an idea there was a clay heading my way - but didn't hear a thing unless my breaking on the gravel masked the sound.

It was bleeding windy

Just my luck as I dropped the last (nominated) clay on a round of skeet - would have been my first Straight :(

After reading this thread I am overly cautious when I see bits hurtling towards me!

It seems to happen with more regularity on some stands than others.

At least I am doing my bit to keep everyone safe from flying clay fragments by never hitting the high driven!!

Many moons ago I was shooting at Sporting Targets with a couple of friends on a very gusty day. We notcied that one of the loopers was repeatedly getting caught in the wind and blown very close, if not into one of the cages.

Someone had the stupid idea that we should have a competition to see who dared leave it the lates to shoot it. Come my turn, I stupidly waited, gun down, for it to turn and start coming toward the cage. Anyone who has ever been hit in the face by a football will be familiar with the way the ball doesnt seem to move, it just gets bigger and bigger until impact - well that's exactly what the clay did.

I was a bit mesmerised by it, but I snapped out of it when the realisation came that it was coming straight toward my head at nose height, and was so close that I could clearly make out the ribs on it.

I threw the gun up and must have shot it pretty much at or within a couple of feet of the muzzle of the gun. Somehow none of it hit me, but the two I was with, who were standing behind, got a load of clay dust and tiny fragments, luckily none of which were big enough to injure but they did dance a bit. All of us were wearing safety gear, but I hate to think what a decent chunk would have done.

Stupid, stupid thing to do. We stopped after that and moved on.

After reading this thread I am overly cautious when I see bits hurtling towards me!

It seems to happen with more regularity on some stands than others.

At least I am doing my bit to keep everyone safe from flying clay fragments by never hitting the high driven!!

RDP, don't wish to be contentious but you wont see the clay or piece of clay that hits you, I've been hit a few times (luckily non seriously) and I definitely didn't see it coming!

A friend of mine lost an eye about ten years ago to cancer and when he started shooting again after about 3 or 4 months he was paranoid about wearing safety specs (mainly supplied by me, "borrowed" from work!). This lasted a few months then they were mainly in his bag or pocket unless he was shooting a driven stand or a low incomer, we used to "remind" him but all he'd say was don't tell the mrs.... Within a short time after that the glasses where consigned to history, these are all non registered shoots but to be honest a few of the registered I go to the markers wouldn't pull you up. He got quite upset with me when I told him one time that he should start wearing them again as I didn't want to be the one stood next to him on the day he was blinded. Unfortunately it didn't do the trick and he still shoots without glasses.

Mr Potter

These clays are serious SOBs, if it wasn't for these damned chokes I've got there would be less of them flying around causing trouble.

:whistling:

Kinda realised my joke there doesn't really make sense as the problem is mostly the shards and not the untouched clays..... so thank god for wrong chokes, the reason we miss....?

Do you reckon wearing sunglasses is sufficient, quality ones like Ray Bans? Made a habit of not going without after this thread but did just wear Ray Bans last time, haven't heard of a story yet in which the clay shard broke someone's glasses causing an even worse eye wound.

Do you reckon wearing sunglasses is sufficient, quality ones like Ray Bans? Made a habit of not going without after this thread but did just wear Ray Bans last time, haven't heard of a story yet in which the clay shard broke someone's glasses causing an even worse eye wound.

They might do a reasonable job on little bits of clay, but I reckon with a big sized lump then you would be in trouble.

You can get a set of Bolle tinted saftey glasses for £6, why take the risk to either your eyes or more expensive sun glasses?

They might do a reasonable job on little bits of clay, but I reckon with a big sized lump then you would be in trouble.

You can get a set of Bolle tinted saftey glasses for £6, why take the risk to either your eyes or more expensive sun glasses?

+1

This was the fingers on my left hand after a broken clay shattered on it. It doesn't look too bad really but I bled like a stuck pig at the time and was in A&E for 3 hours while a few nurses took it in turns to pick pieces of bitumen out of my knuckles with tweezers. Talk about sweat. :unhappy: The fore-end of my gun didn't look much better.

IMG_0397_zps9c55eaa9.jpg

Edited by Scully