Camo is it really needed

ChrisAsh

i Remember the video with Archie Coats & John Batley in it - they bang on about camouflage then batley sets up with a green waistcoat but with a white shirt - he still shot pigeons though.

I always wear at least dark coloured clothing, but keeping still in a good hide with decent background is more important

Edited by Mark74

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is a time and a place for cammo / army surplus.

I wear my surplus trousers when rabbiting as i can wipe my bloody smelly hands on them and hot wash them later because they will stand it and are cheap, and I also wear trousers/jacket for HFT especally in the mud again so I can hot wash it and its cheap to trash aswell as having zip pockets that keep my mags safe in my pocket.

Roost shooting I wear my my green moleskin trousers and MTP jacket as its cheap and warm and I can stick a handfull of cartridges in the chest pocket, cost me £25 off here and there isnt a wax jacket/jackpyke jacket or shooting jacket thats going to come cheaper than that.

I never wear camo to a clay shoot or beating/ pheasant shooting!

Your not going to beat: £15 trousers and £25 jacket for value for money for trashing !

Edited by salop sniper

I agree.... define camo, stalking has been carried out (as far as I am aware) in traditional tweeds for decades... is tweed camo? or does it have to be DPM or MTP?

A tartan with greens, browns and greys in a large pattern is probably as good as anything. Wearing gloves and something to hide your face is a must, as far as I am concerned.

Any one who has stood in the shade of a large tree in the summer will know that they do not see that well into shade so a large hat is a good option. As regards to camo we wear it as it's in the shops Musto etc! I wear ex mod greens and never felt the need to wear camo as the hide does the work of concealment and silhouette and that's all you need.

But then isn't dark clothing camo as such, you don't go in bright colours to go shooting as it looks out of place. Some situations when pigeons are coming down to feed nothing seems to put them off.

Why use hides then when all you need to do is stand still? I can tell you you won't be shooting much as your white reflective face stands out a mile.

Because a hide helps hide you when you are not keeping still and stops your shiney white face putting birds off when you do not wear a face mask .

I

I bet that when I go crow bashing in a minute if I were to wear a day glow mankinie and sit the the hedge as still as can be that the crows would see me from miles away, swap that mankinie for a bit of camo and sit in the same hedge I'd have a good chance at bagging a few.

We all wear camo in a way, camo is anything purposely worn to blend in with your surroundings, yes your tweed is in fact old school camo gear, you didnt see the toffs out in their top hats and tails shooting did you?

I wear surplus gear, its cheap, hard wearing, comfortable etc etc.

Hence needing camo or dark clothes to shoot.

I usually wear drab clothing and have the odd piece of cammo cloathing , can't say as I think it particulary needed though if you are using a hide .

When we shoot together Motty often turns up in his favourite purple and white shell suit , it does not appear to scare the pigeons .

Something to match the surroundings. I normally wear green trousers /green fleece and yes it's normally army clothing but that's because it's cheap .

My mate wears his blue jeans and spoils it every time

Deer see very much more in the blue spectrum than they do in the red which is why you can stand stock still dressed head to foot in hi viz and have a roe buck calmly walk past you and look over his shoulder at you less than 3 metres away, yes it happened to me last summer whilst out at daybreak for muntjac on the edge of an industrial estate.

'Camo essential' is a total fallacy but it gives you confidence then that is not a bad thing even if that if the only advantage you have paid for.

Deer see very much more in the blue spectrum than they do in the red which is why you can stand stock still dressed head to foot in hi viz and have a roe buck calmly walk past you and look over his shoulder at you less than 3 metres away, yes it happened to me last summer whilst out at daybreak for muntjac on the edge of an industrial estate.

'Camo essential' is a total fallacy but it gives you confidence then that is not a bad thing even if that if the only advantage you have paid for.

I shot a munty only last month wearing cammo in the middle of a wood :) 80 yards away it didn't notice me

I shot a munty only last month wearing cammo in the middle of a wood :) 80 yards away it didn't notice me

How about this then, couple of hours ago squirrel shooting.

I was stood out in the open on a ride, two roebucks looking straight at me, 15 yards away tops...

I wasn't wearing camo just green trousers/smock/gloves, no facemask or ghillie suit etc

IMAG1733 (Small).jpg