Canada goose

ShootingEgg

I know they are not the nicest and can be tough as old boots, but I got one last week, con'd a mate into breasting them. Then got the breasts back and used a fillet knife to remove the 'grey skin' once i had done that i marinated them in chili, sweet chili, garlic, dried chili that i grew last year and a splash of orange juice. Slow cooked it for 6 hours two days later and it was like eating tender steak.. I was plesantly surprised by it. Last one i roasted upside down and i was having a workout when eating it. Any one else been able to get these birds to taste good??? And not be like chewing on a boot.

A couple of years back I shot a Canada and some pinkfoot. We had friends round for Christmas so roasted the canada and a pinkfoot. Both weere delicious and not tough, however, the general concesus around the table was that the Canada was the tastiest. I know there's all the tales of roast a brick inside the goose, eat the brick etc but when they're not old birds, I reckon they taste great, and eat very well.

I've always wanted to try Canada to see if the rumours of them tasting awful are true. Never had a chance of a shot at one yet though. The advice I've been given is don't shoot the one at the front - it'll be the old bird that knows where the skein should be going. Shoot the second one instead - younger, stronger fliers keeping up with the one at the front, so better meat - theoretically, anyway.

I've always wanted to try Canada to see if the rumours of them tasting awful are true. Never had a chance of a shot at one yet though. The advice I've been given is don't shoot the one at the front - it'll be the old bird that knows where the skein should be going. Shoot the second one instead - younger, stronger fliers keeping up with the one at the front, so better meat - theoretically, anyway.

That is the theory, my first one was in a group of around 150-200 flock so didn't have time to choose the tender tasty one haha, the last one i just breasted. Alot less hassle..... And slow cooked after the first one being roasted wasnt tough.

The advice I've been given is don't shoot the one at the front - it'll be the old bird that knows where the skein should be going. Shoot the second one instead - younger, stronger fliers keeping up with the one at the front, so better meat - theoretically, anyway.

I reckon that's got to be an old wives tale surely. The geese fly in a V for areodymamic advantage, the front bird (which has the most work to do) is changed regularly so you could get any age of bird at the front.

I have found that it's best to shoot a bird towards the back of the formation as the birds in front will keep more to their original flight path with the birds behind the shot chinking away, which makes it easier to take a second shot at the birds in front.

Casserole is good for Canadian Goose, just cook as long as possible. I like the recook the day after lol

Its basically a beef flavour. Grind the mean and mix with alot or pork mince (for lots of fat as Goose is Lean!) and make beef burgers for the summer.

Topgunners loves my Goose Burgers and Muntjac sausages!