New laws when buying a shotgun

viking

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe if this is the way it's going to go people will be buying guns from their own rfd rather than private sales and use the rfd as a courier. Keeps the trade going longer!

Down side is less choice for the customer tho!

something simmilar to paying for a gun for your rfd and he then transfers the gun on your cert !!! similar to that of buying a gun for my son ( who is not old enouhgh to purchase one BUT can own one ) >>>>> loads of loopholes imo

I really can't see where this topic is worth so many pages.as long as there are dealers out there willing to transfer your guns onto their books then send them on as if they have sold them what is the problem.on paper nothing illegal is being done.And your certificates are safe in your hands.

Just had our local Firearms Enquiry officer round to deliver my new SGC (applied for it on 25th September last year!). I asked him the question and his reply was "haven't heard of any change - use the RFD to RFD procedure, don't send your licence off to the seller.

I spoke to my RFD about this yesterday. It certainly isn't new. It's always been the suggested method, however due to the aggro involved, few RFDs use it. There's nothing illegal about an RFD transferring a gun to another RFD. Then if he decides to sell it as soon as he receives it, again nothing illegal.

Edited by walshie

Sorry to ask a stupid question but if I buy a second hand gun off someone and use the RFD to RFD method to have my certificate completed. Then wouldn't the RFD I collected the gun off be liable for any defects and repairs etc as I had on paper "bought" the gun off them?

I have no idea as it something I have never done.

Edited by storm in a teacup

Sorry to ask a stupid question but if I buy a second hand gun off someone and use the RFD to RFD method to have my certificate completed. Then wouldn't the RFD I collected the gun off be liable for any defects and repairs etc as I had on paper "bought" the gun off them?

I have no idea as it something I have never done.

No.As you will have paid the other party for the gun.You may even find it comes under commission sale where no warranty is implied or given by the dealer.I believe that if anyone tried to claim against the rfd it would not be to long before private sales via rfd method would dissappear.