Thanks to Fandango!!! (Late) (Very Late)

Tim85

For a number of weeks now i have be meaning to write a short report and most importantly a note of thanks! Since then we have had a bit of an up and down time in the family plus i turned 30 so I just lost track of time so here goes!

Last year I posted on PW regarding a Holiday the family was taking to the lake district, to see if any one knew or was a memeber of the wild fowling clubs in the local area as part of the BASC memberships.

To my suprise a member of PW (Fandango) responded and turned out he was a memeber of the South Solway club, which was not far from where we were staying! Result!

We had a few chats on the phone and after sending some of my details the date was soon on us and I was in the lake district with the family!

I woke at 3am to much amusment to my cousins who were still up drinking from the night before and met Carl in Cokermouth not long later, it was a chilly morning but this was what we needed! Carl drove us through some of the thickest fog i have seen for a long time (I wouldnt have found the place) and soon we were outside having a quick coffee waiting for others to join us on the Solway. I could hear the Geese in the distance already and the excitment was building for me anyway!

After a short walk in the dark across gutters in the pitch black (which i fell down one) and crossing a fence or two we were in position, light coming up, Geese becoming louder and guns at the ready in the hope that a skeen or two would come our way! I was amazed at how the dogs were able to sprint around the shore jumping these gutters playing on our way down with the grace of the ballet!

Before long we could see the Geese taking to the air, an low and behold they were coming our way! I have done a fair bit of inland Goose shooting over the past couple of years but this was something else..... I managed to spend at least 10 of Carls home brew 10 guauge cartridges on 3/4 skeens whilst we were there only to miss :-( I was pretty embarresed in all honesty but i still enjoyed massively enjoyed the experience!

Carl not accept a penny from me for the motor, his time, load of his 10g and cartridges, maybe he felt sorry for me lol but it was an experience that i will never forget ever and i just can't thank him enough!

Carl, if your in the midlands let me know and we will get out on the pigeon (if they ever return lol) or Deer etc.

Top bloke, Top day, if you havent had a go at proper wildfolwing chaps you need to give it a go. I have been looking at a 10g since :-)

Tim

A good read that pal i have met carl and he a sound bloke and he was the one who helped make up my mind to get a 10 bore. You cant beat the sounds of the estuary as the day breaks and all the bird life is waking up getting restless. Not to worry that you never bagged a bird its a blessing just being out there in those surroundings with like minded fowlers.

Cheers Tim

Very good write up,,,

It really was my pleasure taking you out and I am glad you had a memoral morning , even though we never took anything home it's always a pleasure being there,, and even better with good company,, really enjoyed it myself.

Glad you enjoyed the 10g maybe next time you could have a crack with a 8g or the 4g,, you would be really hooked then.

Mark is right about when the estuary wakes up, though you have to be there to experience it, and it's not all about putting birds in the bag..... Though its a bonus when you walk of with a few..... I can say that some of my most memorable mornings have been without a shot, just observing a good flight is something to take home,,,

Hope see you again next season if you fancy it,, you may even have a 10g by then, might take you up on your offer of shoot down your way as I do get down there some times with work.... Will get in touch if I can.

Cheers again Tim and thank you for being there....... And thank you Mark,, hope you done ok with your ten this season and I hope you had a good one,, might see you also next season.

Cheers all till next season when the geese won't fly to high, and we all have dry feet and hot barrels.

No thank you carl you give me the push i needed to get a ten and its took a bit of getting used too but still enjoyed using it. I have had a fantastic season and even had the pleasure of putting two good friends under there first ever pinks and too see the joy on there faces gave me great pleasure but best of all my 13 yearold son got his first and second pink on only his second and third trip to the foreshore. I am sorry i never had a trip up your way with you Carl but will definetly but taking you up on your offer of a trip next season pal but just do me a favour and keep the 8 and 4 bore away otherwise i might want one for myself ha ha