Aya xxv Churchill

rwade545

Like this one

[url=http://www.guntrader.co.uk/mobile/gunDetail.php?NewGunID=130319115749001&skipNo=0&perPage=15&Filter[NewType][]=Shotgun&Filter[NewMechanism][]=Side+by+Side&Filter[Calibre][]=12+gauge&Filter[Make][]=AYA&Filter[Model][]=MODEL+28&sortField=poa&sortOrder=asc]http://www.guntrader.co.uk/mobile/gunDetail.php?NewGunID=130319115749001&skipNo=0&perPage=15&Filter[NewType][]=Shotgun&Filter[NewMechanism][]=Side+by+Side&Filter[Calibre][]=12+gauge&Filter[Make][]=AYA&Filter[Model][]=MODEL+28&sortField=poa&sortOrder=asc

Well, I'm blowed; they did make one after all. Obviously, I'd never heard of them.

Edited by wymberley

AyA have always built 'custom' guns to order; one of the options being the rib style, concave, raised filed and Churchill being the three I can remember. You could order the model, barrel length, rib style, stock (pistol grip, straight etc), single or double trigger, splinter or beavertail forend. Basically - they would build whatever was requested.

I have a friend who has a model 53 sidelock with 25" barrels and sunken rib. I have seen a number of 28" barrels with Churchill ribs and one of my own AyAs has a set of 28" barrels with concave rib and a set of 30" barrels with raised filed rib.

• 5 years later...
8 hours ago, David Campbell said:

I wondered if anyone knows if I could get an extra set of 28” barrels for it.

It would almost certainly be easier (and cheaper) to buy a whole gun.  Barrels are not interchangeable.  It might be possible to have a set fitted, but it is possibly a lot of work.  Side by side guns second hand (such as AyA) are plentiful and good value.  That would be my route.

13 hours ago, David Campbell said:

I have shot with a AYA 25” for the last 30 yrs . My father passed on his Churchill 25 to me and I wondered if anyone knows if I could get an extra set of 28” barrels for it. It is a Sidelock and I thought it would be interesting, can’t get any worse !! Thanks 

As others say it'd be cheaper to buy a second gun. Far, far cheaper. Pre-owned AYA No2 can be had for around the £600-£1200 figure and for the four figure sum if you are patient you'll get one that is in tip-top order,

The other factor regarding two sets of barrels is that supposedly the gun won't be stocked correctly for the longer set. As according to some the 25" set will have more "flip" up when fired and the 28" set will have less "flip" upwards.

The counter argument to that often deployed is that as the shot is in the barrel for less time in a 25" barrel that it exits earlier in that "flip" than does the shot charge in the longer 28" barrel. But certainly most good gunfitters will put a different drop on the stock of a shorter barrel gun than a longer barrel gun,

Since posting on here in '15, I have discovered that an AyA XXV boxlock with a scalloped action isn't. It will be on a par with their best quality boxlock and will only have been made in c1963/4. Aya themselves have very little information on this other than they were only made for a very short period, were called a "Churchill" and very quickly were somewhat down graded when they morphed into what we now know well as the XXV. However, as we know, there have been so many variations by AyA over the years, there'll probably be a rule breaker somewhere, but in all likelyhood if it's the period mentioned it'll be the Churchill.