another what gun thread.

storm in a teacup

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3.5 inch in 12ga is good to have if you do not have a 3.5 inch you can not use it, but if there you can use it if you want too,38 to 43gram of shot at anything up to 1400fps is a good foreshore load if its patterning, and patterning is where i start to lose faith in 3.5 inch 12s with the above quoted BBB 4.83mm steel shot. I only ever seen patterns that i class as decent from Mosberg 935 . The back bored Brownings and winchesters you would expect to be close i have never got them to get near the mosberg on the pattern plate.

It can vary how they fall flat can be too centraly dense too spread out or uneven but BBBs and 12s .725 to .736 inch bores in my oppinion dont like BBB.  BB fine in 12s but anything bigger i want a 10ga or a 935 which is .775 10 bore anyway, only ones i know ever did this and they pattern great.

On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 18:56, B525 LIGHT said:

If your only interested in geese then the ten gets my vote. Gamebore steel loads are easy enough to come by and they handle large steel far far better than a 3.5” 12. 

Whilst I have shot most of my geese this season with 10s, I think a 12 is plenty capable in the right hands, even with steel. I have shot (and have seen others shoot) plenty of high pinks with the good old 12.

20 hours ago, motty said:

Whilst I have shot most of my geese this season with 10s, I think a 12 is plenty capable in the right hands, even with steel. I have shot (and have seen others shoot) plenty of high pinks with the good old 12.

Shot many geese 'up there' with steel through the 12 (and 20).... But the 10bore is still the better gun for the job