Barn Owls

Zapp

Last night wabbitbosher and I went over to near Downham Market to pick my truck up after its engine rebuild. On our way back, for some reason his satnav had a bit of a brain dump and ended up taking us along every single lane road from west Cambs into Northants, and on the way we saw no fewer than 4 barn owls out and about.

I remember a time not too long ago when, unless you knew where to look, it was a bit of a treat to see one of these birds once in a while. Is anyone else noticing increased sightings of them?

Yes, I see more and more about now.

As an aside, did you see the Wildlife programme on BBC2 last night about owls? Featured two hand reared Barn Owls.

Last night wabbitbosher and I went over to near Downham Market to pick my truck up after its engine rebuild. On our way back, for some reason his satnav had a bit of a brain dump and ended up taking us along every single lane road from west Cambs into Northants, and on the way we saw no fewer than 4 barn owls out and about.

I remember a time not too long ago when, unless you knew where to look, it was a bit of a treat to see one of these birds once in a while. Is anyone else noticing increased sightings of them?

Edited by Penelope

We had one on one of the smaller farms where I shoot a couple of years ago. I had seen it a few times whilst out and about and guessed it must be nesting nearby but didnt know where.

Then one day I got caught in a downpour and ran into an open sided machine shed to take shelter. I was there for a couple of minutes when I noticed a movement very nearby in my peripheral vision. I looked up to see a big, round ghostly white face about 6 feet from me, staring right at me from around a pillar. Having (almost) stifled a girl-like scream and done that little "surprised" dance, I realised that it was our resident owl, and not Jason from Friday the 13th.

Its something that I don't get too exited about, merely due to the fact I see enough around not to think its an odd sighting, Yes i appreciate them the same with Tawny Owls those to i see plenty around, little Owls are another.

One thing that does cause the odd comment is when your out calling Foxs and the barn Owl dive bombs either me calling or an electronic caller out in the field. Having a Barn Owl swoop just inches from your head when your not expecting it makes you jump.

We are very fortunate in this area Lincs / Norfolk / Cambs borders in that there are a lot of owls , infact when travelling to work or going shooting early morning / late evening it is rare not to see one or two.

This is very true, and really good numbers of Kestrels in Lincolnshire, I've seen dozens over the wayside, Fens and Wolds.

Is anyone else noticing increased sightings of them?

Yes. I was nearly knocked out by one last autumn whilst investigating a derelict farm with a work mate who was familiar with the site. As i walked through a doorway my pal said something and as i turned to hear better the mack daddy of Barnys came bombing past my swede nearly resulting soiled under crackers. When i asked him what he said, he said "watch out for the Barnowl". Needless to say, had i known it resided there prior i would have not have disturbed it but i was had proper!

Great to see so many down here, i reckon the 1m headlands have made quite a difference, i find alot of small mammal fieldsigns when surveying.

had 2 fledge out of a brood of 4, on my fathers farm, had them ringed, also had little owls breed for the second year in a row.

where I could this year put my feeders on the edge of cover crops so any rodents could be taken by owls of a evening. snow is the real killer, the chap that ringed ours said both birds hunt to feed the young and at the peak will be looking to catch 4-5 mice size prey per bird. had several evenings at dusk sat in the car watching them return with food.

We had a couple on the farm we live next too. But no sign at all of them all of last year (I suspect due to the barn being disturbed by its new billionaire owner). However since the start of this year 2 are back again and fabulous to see - especially as one seems quite happy to hunt by our back garden about 630 / 700am as I am leaving for work. Needless to say I've been late every day that I have seen it !

My favourite bird of all.

We have Tawny owls on our rough shoot but for the first time ever last season we spooked a Barn owl on our syndicate shoot; wonderful.

I recall as a small boy, my Dad bringing one home with him after it had bounced off the windscreen of his wagon, but it sadly died within a couple of days, and a few years ago I had a similar experience when driving the works wagon when a sudden flash of white and a tremendous bang left a perfect powdered imprint of what I realised was a Barn owl on the windscreen. I pulled over but couldn't find it, but the 'ghost' of it was on the windscreen for days. Crying shame.

We have owl around here quite often see a barn owl fly past our window in the evening but worryingly we also see it fly right along the center of the road about 3ft off the ground as it goes past its been lucky so far but I would imagine its days are numberd. Also see little owls but more in the summer. But in the last couple of months have been hearing a tawny owl but haven't seen it.

Not seen one for a while, used to watch two quartering the fields behind our house. One of our most beautiful birds in my opinion.

Was out one night last week for a couple of hours or so on one of my permissions trying out my new diy add on night vision for the first time watching fox,rabbit and badger at 100+ yards distance and then a barn owl appeared and kept circling the same area.

Magical bird and great to watch for 10 minutes or so.I saw my first Tawny Owl on this same permission last year.

Didn,t fire a shot in all this time out as I was too preoccupied watching all the normally unseen activity. Probably do it again and leave the gun unloaded.Or put together a NV spotter,now that I have done my first add on.

PS I found the Owl program last night to be fascinating and worth a watch if it repeats.

Edited by Good shot?