shotgun licence-pls help

Tattooed

They probably want to make extra sure you are ok, especially if you have had incidents in the past of breaking the law and depression.

If they don't do all the extra checks and hypothetically you aren't ok and you go on a killing spree then the force will be under scrutiny for not doing extra checks considering they had reason to do them (I would suggest 'due diligence')

I'd reckon that if you doctor, gun club and FEO think you are fine then there shouldn't be a reason to not grant you one.

Best of luck :good:

If you are refused, how much does it cost to appeal?

Edited by Tattooed

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In North Wales, even a simple application can take several months - my neighbour's application went in in March last year, and it was August before he got his SGC. Absolutely nothing of note on his application (he is a court officer who works with vulnerable children), and it still took 5 months.

If you've had depression, etc. in the past, then they HAVE to make absolutely certain that you can be entrusted with firearms. If may still take a while.

If you're getting stressed over the application taking a long time, then stop. Take a step back. Accept it will take a long time, that the police have a responsibility to society at large, and be patient.

If it helps, my process from application to getting the certificate through the post was 7 months! Granted, most of my delays were caused by having a GP in the Thames Valley and applying for my license in Hampshire, so neither was aware of the others process. But I'd still say 4-6 months is reasonable.

No not yet.

Don't worry too much yet, the process will be a bit longer than usual with your declaration that you have been treated for depression in the past.

I was in a similar position to you (I too have previously been treated for depression) and my application with Humberside took around six months from beginning to end, I believe they contacted my doctor more than once. In the end it all went quiet for a month or so (I was too busy with work to chase) and I came home from work to find a letter containing my SGC waiting for me.

Don't worry about the appeals process unless you are refused, and they may not refuse you outright, just suggest that you re-apply at a later date.

The police are told me I can just use the club gun and don't need to own a gun. Even though I go to clay club every week when it's on.

My doctor has told me there is nothing on my medical records to stop me getting a licence. She has been giving the police good reports about me.

Edited by Tattooed

The police are told me I can just use the club gun and don't need to own a gun. Even though I go to clay club every week when it's on.

My doctor has told me there is nothing on my medical records to stop me getting a licence. She has been giving the police good reports about me.

So they've rejected your application? There must be something they don't like as you don't have to show a need for a shotgun as such, I don't even think I was asked what I wanted one for in my interview.

• 4 years later...

Why do people put minor driving offences on applications? The form asks for convictions for which you would have to go to court not fixed penalties or awareness courses.

If the police stop you on the road for an offence and you get a fine through the post, that is not a conviction as you haven't attended court.

• 2 weeks later...