Need some advice...

Wookie

Lads, I could do with a bit of advice.

I'm rapidly realising that my air rifle is not going to stop the advancing hordes of bunnies that are invading our paddocks and so my thoughts naturally turn to that mainstay of the rabbit world, the .22 rimfire.

however... I only have permission to shoot (as yet) on 15 acres that I live on. Do you think I have a hope in hell of getting a ticket?

To give you a bit of background on our area: 15 acres of paddock set about 200 meters from the road with fields and woodland all around. There's a footpath about 100 yards away from our boundary across one field, but we have a hill the blanks it out at its closest point.

I know that the bill come round and inspect, so what do you think are my chances? I'd also be looking to get a moderator for it.

ANy suggestions on dealing with the inspecor when he/she comes round would be a good thing too.

Wookie

p.s. how much could I get a decent .22 for second hand these days?

Make sure you are clear in your mind about safety. make sure you can demonstrate good backstops. Know the danger areas such as telling the FO " I wont be shooting here because there is nothing to stop a bullet/ricochet from hitting a person on this footpath/road" and "this will be the direction i will shoot in as stray bullets will go into this bank". If he knows you think like this there is more chance of getting one.

Like nghost says,make it clear you know the dangers of the gun if you should miss your target,or even go through it.Emphasise on the back stop and safety.When the flo came out to see me he asked me 'you see a stag standing on the horizon what do you do'i said 'admire it there is no way you can shoot it'.He told me he had asked the same thing to somone they replied 'shoot it'.when he said you 'might miss,and what could happen then'the answer he got was 'I won't i'm a good shot'.Needless to say he was refused

Exactly right RG.

If its against the sky Dont shoot.

and never put squirrel down as a quary, as they take a dim view of shooting targets in trees for the same reqason.

Our local flo regulaly gets requests for 22RF for squirrel, but he will not grant one for that reason alone.

Morning chaps.

Two bits of news about the FAC project... Actually, make that three!

Firstly, I scored an extra 30 acres of rural parkland to shoot on at the weekend that's just up the road from my house. Lots of rabbit, stacks of pigeons and a good supply of grey squirells.

Secondly, I have gt the .22 FAC application forms (with the silencer bit thrown in too) waiting for me at Suffolk Police HQ and I am going to pick them up tonight after work. had a good chat with the licensing officer too, seems like a nice bloke.

Thirdly, I might have [possibly] scored a rifle and stuff. A mate of mine is going to have to give up his .22 soon and I'm thinking of asking him if I can "borrow" it from him. It's a complete setup with silencer and scope, so with any luck I'll be able to use that.

Things are moving... Watch this space!

Wookie