sxs left in the cab

2meterpeter

lol not a horror story but i like the comment, the horror is i have found lots of friends that can't use a sxs double trigger they seam to be v cheep and they just sit doing nothing in the cab , i have trouble using a o/u as my up bringing was with a sxs it is a wast leaving these sxs in the cab un used gunmark sxs are my thing but they never seam to be for sale except the basic ones and they are not used so left to sit, the o/u have taken over the shooting seen rightly so as they are more advanced i would just like to gauge just how many of us have them sitting unused and forgotten , and how many of us are old school , you never know it may just turn up a gun i would not mind buying and put back in to use , also it may give people a chance to think about them and brush the dust off to give them a try again ,

I've got all sorts of guns. sbs > O/U > single barrel > pump. Single and double triggers. I dont even think about what it is. as far as I'm concerened it is just a tube. I concentrate on the target and dont worry about what cartridge I'm shooting or what choke is fitted

I'm with Fortune , I have one of each but the regular one that seems to fall into my hand (As it did today in fact) , is a single barrel Cooey 12g Hammer .

Roost shooting today it bagged 3 woodies and 2 Magpies. Non of which made any derogatory comment about being shot by a £20 gun.

The only type I don't have is an O/U, they just don't float my boat. My single trigger sxs Zabala really rocks!! :good:

lol not a horror story but i like the comment, the horror is i have found lots of friends that can't use a sxs double trigger they seam to be v cheep and they just sit doing nothing in the cab , i have trouble using a o/u as my up bringing was with a sxs it is a wast leaving these sxs in the cab un used gunmark sxs are my thing but they never seam to be for sale except the basic ones and they are not used so left to sit, the o/u have taken over the shooting seen rightly so as they are more advanced i would just like to gauge just how many of us have them sitting unused and forgotten , and how many of us are old school , you never know it may just turn up a gun i would not mind buying and put back in to use , also it may give people a chance to think about them and brush the dust off to give them a try again ,

Although not a gunmark but I shoot with a webley & Scott sxs d/t and get on fine with it, don't mean to boast but I can generally pick up most guns and shoot ok with them providing they fit properly. After using a s/t o/u for years I enjoyed changing to a d/t sxs, still prefer the o/u for clays though!

Brought up with sxs double triggers, it is second nature to pick up the rear trigger. Best system by far as less to go wrong. I have happily shot duck behind a o/u gunner whose gun did not fire the first barrel which of course in this instance cancelled out firing the second barrel as this apparently needed the recoil from the first before it went lethal. I think my best duck flight ever with the old A&N hammer gun.

Blackpowder

I love the look and feel of a nice sxs, but can't get on with the double triggers. My nephew has a gorgeous little Joseph Curry sxs, and I've had a shoot with that, and also with our syndicate landowners exquisite Churchill XXV, but I have very long fingers and always find I have to adjust my grip to comfortably get on that back trigger. Using the other trigger first doesn't seem to make any difference unfortunately.

I don't understand why you guys are having all this problem with two triggers. Are you using one finger per trigger so that each trigger has its own operating finger or are you using one finger that moves from the selected trigger to the next?

One finger, it hadn't occurred to me to use two. :whistling: We're getting into Joan Collins and Kit Kat territory here.

I have always had a side by side as one of my guns, they deliberately have double triggers with the left barrel (back trigger) having 3/4 choking and the right barrel (front trigger) has 1/4 or 1/2 choking.

For long/high birds I can easily select the back trigger and I sometimes even have different load cartridges in the gun with this in mind.

None of this probably makes any difference to my kill/shot ratio, but it makes me feel confident and thats all that matters.

Regardless of where the barrel selector is on an under and over (on the safety catch, or by the trigger guard), I have never found it easy or quick to use, far too fiddly.

I've got right gorilla hands I don't have any problems going from one trigger to the other

Hitting stuff now thats a different story

I do love my old aya countryman I shoot mostly clays and hit about as much as anyone in the gang I shoot with

Even if I do have more triggers,fixed chokes and use lighter cartridges auto safety did my head in so I took the push rod out

thank you all for the response so far / interesting that the gunmark, kestrel is used so much with the pople on this site , as of yet it is still a minority we have yet to hear from the masses that leave them sitting in the cab,s and what they are , when i look at the guns for sale the cheapest are the sxs yet so little used is anyone using any other type of gunmark, ? and what is sitting un used hidden in the dark ?

I have both OUs and SxSs in the cabinet the over and unders hardly ever get used, I have 3 english / scottish side by sides and an AYA no2 which get an airing very rarely, my main gun which I use for all my game shooting is a Gunmark Royale sidelock which is a copy of the Holland and Holland Royal.

As i have mentioned many times before on this forum they represent the best value side by side around, find a suitable cartridge and stick with it - I think the double trigger thing is all in the head you have to give it time, I think spanish sidelocks really are so underrated - bear in mind many of these were still finished by hand. I will confidently stand on any peg and shoot high birds as well as the next man with his EE LL and perazzi etc.

I have noticed a few more SxS in the field over the past few seasons maybe they are making a bit of a comeback !

Edited by Bungle The Bear

I have always had a side by side as one of my guns, they deliberately have double triggers with the left barrel (back trigger) having 3/4 choking and the right barrel (front trigger) has 1/4 or 1/2 choking.

For long/high birds I can easily select the back trigger and I sometimes even have different load cartridges in the gun with this in mind.

None of this probably makes any difference to my kill/shot ratio, but it makes me feel confident and thats all that matters.

Regardless of where the barrel selector is on an under and over (on the safety catch, or by the trigger guard), I have never found it easy or quick to use, far too fiddly.

I could have written the above as it's exactly how I use my SBS.

I currently have a Gunmark Merlin 27" ejector, which is my go-to pigeon and game gun. It has double triggers and weighs 6lbs 2oz only.

It's made by V Bernardelli of Gardone, Italy and is comparable to a Beretta in quality from the same era - 1974. It does have some patchy blueing and scuffing, not pitting, in the barrels but it is my "rough gun" which I don't mind getting muddy round the farms.

£325 bargain !

I really notice the extra weight of the Browning OU in the hide or on a walkaround. I find that the Browning is also not as fast on those snapshooting opportunities.

theres something real nice about a side by side, i bought one from a neighbour a while back that was in a state. i stripped the wood and oiled it, had the barells re-blacked and cleaned / degreased the action... its lovely but other than firing a couple of test shots when it went back together ive not used it. i half heartedly tried to sell it as i do like it but couldnt... so its just sitting in the corner of my safe, i keep saying im going to take it out but havent

have just bought a 10 bore side by side muzzle loader tho... thats going in the hide with me this weekend

Edited by kiffy