Nicest Whisky Ever

Spike Chess

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of mine was whiskey tasting in Scotland somewhere and was allowed to taste a £100 whiskey which he said was gorgeous but would not allow him to taste the £200, however it was for sale so he purchased it on the assumption it must be better than the £100 bottle.

He said it tasted like ****

So it may be expensive, doesn't mean it's nice on the palate.

Meanwhile, at the opposite end of the scale I picked up a bottle of "Ardmore" from Tesco as it was on offer and looked good- :no: :no: -going to use it to clean out my drum brakes.

Best use for it !

A person we used to know had relatives who owned a winery a few years back, and she brought a case of wine back from a visit to France. The stuff was truly vile.

When she asked if she should pour it down the drain, my wife (ever the wit) asked "Why, do they need unblocking ?"

Oddly, we've never been invited back since ...

Everyone will have their own favourites, but I'd say that just because a whisky is expensive doesn't mean it is spectacular. It might just be one of the last remaining bottles from a long gone distillery. Rare, yes. But lovely to drink - up to you.

I like Dalwhinnie at £25-30 per bottle - whilst I might buy a more expensive one, I'd rather buy some good shooting kit - just me.

I like Dalwhinnie at £25-30 per bottle - whilst I might buy a more expensive one, I'd rather buy some good shooting kit - just me.

I have to agree there jimmy, best for the money imo

Everyone will have their own favourites, but I'd say that just because a whisky is expensive doesn't mean it is spectacular. It might just be one of the last remaining bottles from a long gone distillery. Rare, yes. But lovely to drink - up to you.

Spot on piebob. Once had a taste of 30 yo Caol Ila but didnt taste as nice as a 17yo Caol Ila i tried a week before and there was a £250 price difference

You've tried it and reckon its great which is good enough for me, most of the time the expensive ones go un tasted (certainly by us mere mortals lol). As has been said just because they have sky high figures on them doesn't mean they are in anyway nicer to taste than a 40-50quid bottle. I have a bottle of Rosebank that's currently sitting around the 550-600quid mark, I will put money that a 100quid bottle will be better tasting whisky, but I aint going to find out as its being held as an investment. Its only worth 550-600 quid because there are very few bottles left on the open market, not because its a truly fantastic whisky ;-)

Drink what you enjoy :good: but I am willing to bet your spot on and that Port Ellen is lovely!!

It

You've tried it and reckon its great which is good enough for me, most of the time the expensive ones go un tasted (certainly by us mere mortals lol). As has been said just because they have sky high figures on them doesn't mean they are in anyway nicer to taste than a 40-50quid bottle. I have a bottle of Rosebank that's currently sitting around the 550-600quid mark, I will put money that a 100quid bottle will be better tasting whisky, but I aint going to find out as its being held as an investment. Its only worth 550-600 quid because there are very few bottles left on the open market, not because its a truly fantastic whisky ;-)

Drink what you enjoy :good: but I am willing to bet your spot on and that Port Ellen is lovely!!

Port Ellen was best whisky. I only get to taste these on tasting sessions at local whisky shop, charge anything from £5 to £40 an open a bottle at the end from £125 to £1000, depending on ticket price, otherwise no way would i get to taste anything in that price range.

If you can manage to see a re run (pops up on BBC 2 from time to time) of wild harvest with TV chef nick nairn (spelling) the one that featured Islay and a group of divers, I am one of them :yes: and during the meal we were served, we were given a bottle of extremely expensive Islay whiskey that originally belonged to the Aga Khan no less problem was only two of us like a drop of the hard stuff so as you can imagine I ended up well and truly pie eyed, and for the total cost of nowt :lol: :lol:

KW

If you can manage to see a re run (pops up on BBC 2 from time to time) of wild harvest with TV chef nick nairn (spelling) the one that featured Islay and a group of divers, I am one of them :yes: and during the meal we were served, we were given a bottle of extremely expensive Islay whiskey that originally belonged to the Aga Khan no less problem was only two of us like a drop of the hard stuff so as you can imagine I ended up well and truly pie eyed, and for the total cost of nowt :lol: :lol:

Going to Islay this year but doubt i'll be given anything like that. Hope it was a good un,

• 4 months later...

Meanwhile, at the opposite end of the scale I picked up a bottle of "Ardmore" from Tesco as it was on offer and looked good- :no: :no: -going to use it to clean out my drum brakes.

I made The "Ardmore mistake" once also. Took years to get rid of it on unsuspecting guests!! :)

I don't like whiskey makes me boke. My late father however, he loved the stuff and preferred the Speyside malts. His favourite was inchgower. The smell of whiskey still reminds me of him. Its one of those drinks I wished I like.

You can teach yourself to like it!!!

Glenfiddich have a 50 year old Rare whiskey for sale at £22,000 a bottle.

I do like there 15year old single Malt, would never dream of spending that much can't see how it could be so much better, Unless it comes with a busty barmaid to poor it for you.