IT'S A STRUGGLE

Before peeps jump to their keyboards and start yelling "oh no, here we go again" I'm sure this subject has been done to death on here. In fact I think I even joined in a previous debate on the subject, but now can't find it.

Anyway, despite my birthday in a couple of months seeing me just one click away from the inevitable Pension Book, and health issues including heart problems and diabetes, in turn creating painful feet, ankles, knees, hips and back, all helping to make life as much of a problem as possible, I still manage to get out at least once every week to do my bit on the 1200 acres on which I am extremely fortunate to have sole shooting permission.

However, despite all my perm having considerable tracks around all the fields, these are conservation tracks and not maintenance tracks, and cannot be driven on. There is one maintenance track next to a huge hedgerow pretty much cutting through the entire permission, so I can take my vehicle some way toward my chosen set up position on any particular day, some closer than others, but some of the best decoy positions on the land will still require a walk from the car of approx 250 yards each way.

To add to the problems, I have acquired an unhealthy habit of purchasing more and more equipment, all of which I am convinced are necessary for the successful day of pigeon shooting. (Yeah right I hear you say).

But even when I break the equipment down to just what I sensibly need, that will still include quite a load of stuff that will make 250 yards for me feel like a marathon.

So, finally to the point, and I'm sure this would help more people than just me, what great ideas have all you guys had to assist in carrying equipment to/from vehicle, if a burly SAS type shooting companion is not available?

I have been looking at things like . . . . . . . . . . . .

Cyprinus Carp Fishing Wheel Barrow Trolley

quite expensive, but willing to go for it if anybody offers a glowing report. But would be happy to hear of any other ideas that have worked well.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Blimey, I think it's time to concentrate on clay pigeons. At the moment I carry a bergan and that has everything in it except the hide poles and gun.

That carp barrow that you posted an ebay link to looks like you could carry five times as much stuff as you really need.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

I've been here since the 80s. Not because of health or age problems but the sheer distance of kit that has to be dragged across fields. On previous threads about this people have put about how they just drive the landy up to the hide. It is not a good idea to drive across crops and conservation headlands etc. Do that on my farm and the finger would be pointed towards the exit quite quickly. The problem that I see with this modified wheelbarrow is that it is great when you are on open ground or grassy headland, but if you've got to travel through standing wheat along a tramline then it gets hard to walk through it without getting crop drag. And bearing in mind that it may be a hot day it is not easy. Sometimes I’ve had to make two or even three trips from the hide to get all of the kit and the shot pigeons back to the vehicle. I thought about >> but never made a sort of single wheel drag thingy that would be high enough to suspend the kit on but that would keep it up out of the crop. Light enough to handle and able to be folded up to get in the vehicle. Basically what that barrow in the link is but a high level version to keep the kit up above the standing crop.

I have the same on my farms conservation strips.Cannot drive on them and if i did i do not think it would go favorably with the farmers.

I have a carp barrow and a builders barrow and i use both depending on where i am going to shoot.

Much handier to have someone with you to share the pushing.

I'm only just knocking 50 but I feel your pain.

In recent years I would carry a bergan stuffed with kit and pigeons that a Marine would be proud of but not now, my knees and hips just wont tolerate it any more.

I've taken to carrying a builders barrow in my van and use that. It makes life easier and can be emptied and thrown over locked gates if needs be.

You still feel it if going long distances over rough ground or up hill but I think I'd be stumped without it now.

I'm also looking for a quad bike that's small enough to get in the back of my Berlingo van to make life even easier.

Got to keep shooting :good:

Gents, check out carp porter, they arent cheap but will outlast the one mentioned previously several times.

How do I know?

Along with my longterm shooting habit, carp fishing is the alternative addiction.

I've had the same carp porter for 9 years or so, my carp gear weighs an awful lot more than all my pigeon shooting gear.

Fortunately though I have the farmers blessing to drive my landy anywhere on my permission.

Otherwise the carp porter would have a second job to cope with...

So dnm26 - you're saying that the carp porter is a good way to go, but seem to be suggesting the one mentioned in my original post is not so good !

Do you know anybody who has purchased that one, and what one do you have ?

Edited by Guerini Guy

Carp Porter is a particular model made by a company called Prestige.

So dnm26 - you're saying that the carp porter is a good way to go, but seem to be suggesting the one mentioned in my original post is not so good !

Your post sounds like me , I have a light kit and normal kit depending which area I am going to (and dependant on how I feel on the day)

I have and used to use a converted wheel barrow that works reasonably well, but since getting rid of the lady for something more economical It sits redundant now through lack of vehicle space.

Before peeps jump to their keyboards and start yelling "oh no, here we go again" I'm sure this subject has been done to death on here. In fact I think I even joined in a previous debate on the subject, but now can't find it.

Anyway, despite my birthday in a couple of months seeing me just one click away from the inevitable Pension Book, and health issues including heart problems and diabetes, in turn creating painful feet, ankles, knees, hips and back, all helping to make life as much of a problem as possible, I still manage to get out at least once every week to do my bit on the 1200 acres on which I am extremely fortunate to have sole shooting permission.

However, despite all my perm having considerable tracks around all the fields, these are conservation tracks and not maintenance tracks, and cannot be driven on. There is one maintenance track next to a huge hedgerow pretty much cutting through the entire permission, so I can take my vehicle some way toward my chosen set up position on any particular day, some closer than others, but some of the best decoy positions on the land will still require a walk from the car of approx 250 yards each way.

To add to the problems, I have acquired an unhealthy habit of purchasing more and more equipment, all of which I am convinced are necessary for the successful day of pigeon shooting. (Yeah right I hear you say).

But even when I break the equipment down to just what I sensibly need, that will still include quite a load of stuff that will make 250 yards for me feel like a marathon.

So, finally to the point, and I'm sure this would help more people than just me, what great ideas have all you guys had to assist in carrying equipment to/from vehicle, if a burly SAS type shooting companion is not available?

I have been looking at things like . . . . . . . . . . . .

Cyprinus Carp Fishing Wheel Barrow Trolley

quite expensive, but willing to go for it if anybody offers a glowing report. But would be happy to hear of any other ideas that have worked well.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Oh for an electric trolley that doubles up as a road trailer.

Trolleys and the like are fine, until you come to fences, locked gates, etc. and many can't cope with rough terrain.

The best thing I have used is a lightweight garden wheelbarrow.

Package everything, put it in the barrow and be prepared to carry it where the wheelbarrow can't go.

I am happier leaving a cheap wheelbarrow tucked in a hedge , than an expensive carp fishing trolley.

Your post sounds like me , I have a light kit and normal kit depending which area I am going to (and dependant on how I feel on the day)

I have and used to use a converted wheel barrow that works reasonably well, but since getting rid of the lady for something more economical It sits redundant now through lack of vehicle space.

Did you mean LANDY!! :lol: :lol:

I managed to pick up a folding wheelbarrow, it is superb. It is not one of the frail things from the local garden centre but a sturdy heavy canvas thing that resembles a stretcher, but with an inflatable wheelbarrow wheel at the front. It is all held together with steel pins and spring clips, even the handles are 2 piece, so it all folds up small. I know someone is going to ask for pictures and I would if I could !

Edited by Westley

It is made by a company called Prestige, and the model is carp porter.

They also do powered carp porters if you have the budget, they have a really good reputation also.

http://www.carp-porter.com/

Trolleys and the like are fine, until you come to fences, locked gates, etc. and many can't cope with rough terrain.

The best thing I have used is a lightweight garden wheelbarrow.

Package everything, put it in the barrow and be prepared to carry it where the wheelbarrow can't go.

I am happier leaving a cheap wheelbarrow tucked in a hedge , than an expensive carp fishing trolley.

The carp porter by prestige can handle rough terrain.

One of my carp syndicates is accessed across a field and this is regularly ploughed!

nice thing about the carp porter is it folds up flat and will fit in a car.

I also used mine to carry 5 days worth of camping gear, food, clothes etc. from the car park to the camping area at the download festival, best part of a mile and a half, it has managed 3 years worth of that as well.

That is challenging terrain and with my Mrs going too, heavily loaded!

Mine is a Nash carp barrow.Comes apart into four pieces and i have had it and all my gear in the back of a Citroen C1 with the back seats down.The only piece that does not fold flat is the metal bit with the tyre.Even having to stop a few times to get your breath is no hardship if your saving doing your back in.