Shooting Socks/Stockings

Brixsmaid

This year I am determined to actually getting around to buying some new shooting socks/stocking (knee length) to be worn with breeks and either boots or wellies, before the season comes around again and I realise mine are very tired and need replacing :lol: .

Can I glean some advise from the collective massive on their recommendations for good, durable shooting socks/stocking (knee length) they don't need to be waterproof and I'm guessing they need a high percentage of Merino wool?

Please name names for your recommended preference.

Thanks and cheers.

Have a look in the adverts in The Field or similar.

Lots are advertised and I guess buy in early summer when they're keen to generate some sales.

Pennine make some good ones. a quick search of shooting stocking will bring up loads.

Many thanks - the fact that there is so much choice, is exactly why I asked the question - just want peoples recommends, as I'm not sure dearest is necessarily best when the word 'shooting' is in the product!! but happy to pay reasonable price for proven recommendations!

Thanks again.

Usually wear out a £25 pair of socks every season. Picked up 3 pairs in aldi last October for £2.99 a pair, red, purple and blue. Thought I might wear them 2/3 times before the heels wore through but they've lasted all season and I'm sure they will do another. They are proper knee length and suitable to wear with breeks. Trouble is not seen them on sale since but will buy 10pairs if they come in again!

Get a pair knitted - will be warmer, hard wearing, a better fit and you will never regret your decision!

You mean there are still people in this country that actually can knit - have to say since my old Mum passed on a good few years ago, I don't actually know anyone who still knits :no:

I have house of Cheviot house of Bruar, Webury along with some others and have to say the most expensive merino ones are the most comfortable and stretch round my massive calves but do get a bit saggy by the end of the day but wash back in to shape great.

Hi NickB65

Got to worth a couple of pairs to try, at those prices - even if I just use them for beating!

How do the sizes come in - are they fairly accurate, I have normal size legs, no over large calves etc!

Pricey but superb. http://www.almostunwearoutable.com/product-category/socks-stockings/

Mine get won at least twice a week between September and March for Beagling, which means they run through covert, streams, get dragged over barbed wire and christ knows what else. Still look and feel excellent (get the thicker weight).

Look good which model do you recommend - please tell me that its not the £120 pairs - that's nearly as dear as my best breeks :lol:

Won't help you, but I make my own welly socks using an old circular sock knitting machine. The actual machine is around 125 years old and is a very rare example - among other attributes it is slightly larger than the 'standard ' machines. I can choose my yarn and make socks that best fit my feet. My boss can, if it were needed, remove the feet and reknit a new section. I am not so clever as she is when it comes to extile crafts!

RAB

Hi NickB65

Got to worth a couple of pairs to try, at those prices - even if I just use them for beating!

How do the sizes come in - are they fairly accurate, I have normal size legs, no over large calves etc!

I have used mine for a whole season and they were great and still hold their shape - also use them for dog walking so they do get a lot of wear. :-)

Brixmaid, yes there are still thousands of skilled knitters. SWMBO currently working on a pair for a farmer friend who 'bought' a pair at an auction of promises and has worn them for 2 seasons but commissioned a second pair because he could not see himself going back to manufactured socks. Your local WI may know of a little old lady who wants projects to keep her occupied, otherwise cost may be prohibitive.

Pricey but superb. http://www.almostunwearoutable.com/product-category/socks-stockings/

Mine get won at least twice a week between September and March for Beagling, which means they run through covert, streams, get dragged over barbed wire and christ knows what else. Still look and feel excellent (get the thicker weight).

Ordered a pair of the more expensive tomov recommended and just going to order a cheaper pair as recommended by NickB65 to give a comparison, hopefully it will be at least a couple of seasons before I can give you my scientific assessment :good:

Thanks to all for your advice :)