now tv

Paddy Galore!

Hi gents, i'm sure this has been done before some time ago but I can't be bothered to search for the thread.

Do any of you use Now tv? how much meg does it use a month?

we were thinking of sky but the cost is a tad more than I want to pay, i'm now due to renew the phone and BB contract which plusnet reckon they can do me a good deal on fibre with unlimited BB for a few pence more than I pay now, what with now tv costing all of £7 a month I thought this might be a viable option.

Also, does it matter that my telly is a bit old now? it's a Panasonic vierra plasma which is supposed to be HD ready but i'm not so sure, i'd rather not have to buy a new one as I've just spunked the last of my tax rebate lol!

thanks for any advice,

Paddy.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on how much you watch via the now tv box , I usually wake in the night and either end up watching a film or catch up tv on it i.e. BBC ,ch 4 ,5 etc , it will work on most TV sets but needs a HDMI outlet on the tv set for good quality picture , don't know if its common or not but I get problems sometimes with freezing on progs. particularly I player .

I would also suggest that you have your wifi close to it - it only connects via wifi and it can affect your picture quality.

TBH I wasn't that impressed and jacked it before the end of the month (before the billing started) - instead I got a Amazon fire which has a network port (will work via wifi as well) and installed Kodi on it.

I am hoping to be getting rid of sky shortly once I get my wife trained up :)

Depends on how much you watch via the now tv box , I usually wake in the night and either end up watching a film or catch up tv on it i.e. BBC ,ch 4 ,5 etc , it will work on most TV sets but needs a HDMI outlet on the tv set for good quality picture , don't know if its common or not but I get problems sometimes with freezing on progs. particularly I player .

Ta muchly, the telly in question has HDMI ports up the kazoo, 4 I think in all, and the other thing about buffering is why i'm considering fibre BB, it's not much use to me at the moment, but after a few box set weekenders I reckon it'll chaw right into any allowance I might have.

I have the basic £10 one from Sky. Its handy for the odd time I might need catch up channels. My main setup is Virgin 100mg BB with free tv and a Google Chromecast. Add Showbox on your phone and stream through WIFI for free films and shows.

I've bought a few and installed Plex on them for friends and family to access my Plex server so I couldn't say what the subscription content is like. Now TV boxes are basically re-badged and slightly crippled Roku boxes so they're quite capable, have to say I've been quite impressed.

I would also suggest that you have your wifi close to it - it only connects via wifi and it can affect your picture quality.

TBH I wasn't that impressed and jacked it before the end of the month (before the billing started) - instead I got a Amazon fire which has a network port (will work via wifi as well) and installed Kodi on it.

I am hoping to be getting rid of sky shortly once I get my wife trained up :)

Just got a Amazon fire box after seeing this and put kodi (xbmc) on it, trouble is now I don't know what to watch!!!

what chanels does the kodi box pick up, in what way is it better than now tv

All content is streamed through the Internet, kodi isn't a box, it's a software, added to a tv box like Amazon fire, I'm currently watching American sniper, it has everything you can think off, all films made, films currently in the cinema, every tv series you can think of, it has live streams of sky channels sky sports etc you can get them all ready and set up to go, or you can buy the box and do it yourself, you can get the boxes already set up of the bay just search xbmc box

The only trouble with a xbmc box is finding something to watch! There is just so much to look at, by the time you've flicked through the latest movies, docu's,sports channel's you've wasted an hour!

If you know what you want to watch eg a specific movie or footy game then its very very good.

say if i want to watch a specific film on xbmc how do you find what channel its on? also would a 8 Mbps connection speed be fast enough? also is there a major difference between the boxes on ebay, one i have found is about £80, its supposed to be the very latest version of box with android 4.4 and jail broken what ever that means plus wireless keyboard , the other is £45 with android 4.2.2

I've got a mx2 android box. Its pretty unstable to be honest, maybe its to do with all the add-ons I run?. Also it really needs to be connected via Ethernet to my router, but I've not got round to wiring it yet, so it plugs into my sonos sound bar and uses that wireless signal.

To watch stuff once you've installed the add-ons you want you just click on the add-on, say genesis or entertainment hub etc, click on movies and take your pick .

Sometimes the links are down so you have to try somewhere else for that specific movie like navi x and find it on there.

If there's a regular tv station you watch you can add it to your favorites so its easy to go straight in.

But honestly you can look for hours at various tv stations from around the world, sometimes you can't find them again so you must add to favourites.

I was on 3meg and it struggled sometimes with movies, if you let it buffer for a bit you might be ok.

We are now on 10meg and it seems ok so far.

The box to buy is a Prometheus box but its still very expensive.