Budget 2015 - what are your thoughts?

grrclark

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seemed sensible to me, things do feel like we are moving in the right way as a country and certainly I feel like I have more money in the pocket. Economy wise we seem above most so fingers crossed we don't get a change at the next election

wait till the ******* get in again and see the enormouse cuts we have ever seen

deficit down what ******* osborne is borrowing more than ever

totall ****

yep people dont seem to or dont want to understand that the next 3 years will be the cruelest should the con men still be at the helm.

KW

Why will it be KW? tell us why and what would you do?

er read the chancellors intentions its all out there.what would I do? stop the big boys fiddling billion upon billion for a start and then get our national infrastructure back of the overseas investors and start putting money back into the country as opposed to taking it out!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/budget-spending-cuts-this-chart-shows-the-worst-is-still-to-come-10118181.html

KW

Edited by kdubya

er read the chancellors intentions its all out there.what would I do? stop the big boys fiddling billion upon billion for a start and then get our national infrastructure back of the overseas investors and start putting money back into the country as opposed to taking it out!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/budget-spending-cuts-this-chart-shows-the-worst-is-still-to-come-10118181.html

KW

Then you are reading something into this, they are cutting back on public spending( needed to bring money back into the system) and whilst i agree that we should control our own destiny doesn't the NI and taxes that the overseas investor or owner pay bring money back in? Or should we just say "thanks, we'll have that back now"

There were some very needed changes announced today, but they were overshodowed by the huge pain that is to come in the next 3-5 years. I predict a lot of hardship for a lot of people if I read and understood the news reports correctly. In the short term though there is some easing. Two months before the election, I am not surprised...

Ah, so you are speculating that an announcement made today about eliminating paper based tax returns will somehow mean a mandatory link between your bank accounts and an automated tax calculation regime based on debits and credits to your bank account.

I do run my own business now, prior to that was a director of a much bigger business.

What was announced today was that instead of paper returns businesses or individuals as appropriate will have their own dedicated tax account. If you choose to then you can link that to your bank account or company accounts system. This linking of systems could eliminate some of the burden of reporting.

My accounts system allows me to link to my government gateway and submit returns automatically if I choose to do so, it saves double keying. No difference.

If you choose to do all your accounting off system and simply update your tax account with the relevant information, as you do with your paper submissions now.

Nowhere today, that I have seen, was there any Machiavellian announcement of a plot to spy on your bank affairs through some tenuous link.

Perhaps I am jumping the gun, and as with most things, the devil is in the detail, detail we have yet to see but with comments like these being reported widely, it's pretty understandable: -

"As of next year, HMRC will automatically collate the tax affairs of millions of UK taxpayers from employers, banks and investment firms into a single digital tax account which can be checked at any time online."

"We will abolish the annual tax return altogether. Millions of individuals will have the information the revenue needs automatically uploaded into online accounts."

Forgive me if I'm missing something but those statements do not seem to describe an opt in elective system to me. The changes described, at least so far, seem to suggest the default position will be one of automated data collection and that those with more complex tax affairs can chose to opt out. At the very least, such a default position would require financial organisations and investment firms to provide details of interest payments and income, employers are already providing income data very regularly since the introduction of 'real-time' (HMRC's description, not mine) updates. If that were the case, the job of linking millions of financial accounts with individual tax records will be, or perhaps has been, no small feat. The lack of a truly unique and widely shared identifier would mean any matching process to achieve the desired result is likely to generate very large volumes of exception cases and take some time to resolve so yes any link automatically established would be tenuous indeed.

Like I said, the devil's in the detail and it's early days so I guess we'll just have to wait and see..

Perhaps I am jumping the gun, and as with most things, the devil is in the detail, detail we have yet to see but with comments like these being reported widely, it's pretty understandable: -

"As of next year, HMRC will automatically collate the tax affairs of millions of UK taxpayers from employers, banks and investment firms into a single digital tax account which can be checked at any time online."

"We will abolish the annual tax return altogether. Millions of individuals will have the information the revenue needs automatically uploaded into online accounts."

Forgive me if I'm missing something but those statements do not seem to describe an opt in elective system to me. The changes described, at least so far, seem to suggest the default position will be one of automated data collection and that those with more complex tax affairs can chose to opt out. At the very least, such a default position would require financial organisations and investment firms to provide details of interest payments and income, employers are already providing income data very regularly since the introduction of 'real-time' (HMRC's description, not mine) updates. If that were the case, the job of linking millions of financial accounts with individual tax records will be, or perhaps has been, no small feat. The lack of a truly unique and widely shared identifier would mean any matching process to achieve the desired result is likely to generate very large volumes of exception cases and take some time to resolve so yes any link automatically established would be tenuous indeed.

Like I said, the devil's in the detail and it's early days so I guess we'll just have to wait and see..

Another way of looking at it is if the accounts are linked it saves you a heap of work, finding the information for your accountant at the moment can be a nightmare with most interest taxed at source. I can't see it being a big issue.

One of the other things that the chancellor has to juggle with the deficit is while the economy has been pants tax receipts are down these do have a lag on picking up due to the payment schedule of corporation tax etc. more people in work companies doing better tax receipts rise and people spend more its a circle that means they may not need to cut as hard as expected. I struggle to see why an amateur **** artist that kW would like to see in power has all the answers if it is so simple......... A vote for him is effectively a vote for a cretin in red

I hope HMRC website improves: tried to input my meagre beaters wages (pension and pt wages are PAYE) and couldn't complete. Had to phone the £600 earnings through. Really p****d off that for 2 years now despite giving them one simple figure under 'other earnings' they have managed to over-tax me by £2 and £5. Can you get through to them to get it corrected - NO! I'm sure George needs my money more than I do at the present time.

KW

and if you think Balls is the man for that then you need a Doctor..

Every time Balls talks of the ecomomy i feel an inner rage building. How dare he even think labour are fit to look after the UK coffers. Look at their track record. I hope that everybody remembers come polling day. All the pain we've had will be for nothing if those idiots get a chance to mess things up again by splashing the cash that we just dont have. Those goons nigh on chuffing bankrupted us. There is a generation that has had the odds firmly stacked against them as a direct result of the economic carnage that Brown and Darling created. Some folk will never own their own place or be able to accrue even modest savings.

Brown inherited a proper peach from Ken, and he squandered it. Unforgiveable.

Every time Balls talks of the ecomomy i feel an inner rage building. How dare he even think labour are fit to look after the UK coffers. Look at their track record. I hope that everybody remembers come polling day. All the pain we've had will be for nothing if those idiots get a chance to mess things up again by splashing the cash that we just dont have. Those goons nigh on chuffing bankrupted us. There is a generation that has had the odds firmly stacked against them as a direct result of the economic carnage that Brown and Darling created. Some folk will never own their own place or be able to accrue even modest savings.

Very true. Unfortunately (!) we are a democracy and we get the government we deserve due to the stupidity of the Great British public. Until we have a way of preventing idiots from voting then this will happen again and again.

Back to late 70s again when Maggie came in after Callaghan/Wilson etc. We never learn.

Interesting article from the Telegraph, confirms that average family income is up £900. This is from the OBR who are independent.

Blows all of the Labour hogwash out of the water.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/budget-2015/budget-2015-one-by-one-george-osborne-shoots-labour%E2%80%99s-foxes/ar-BBipcMP?ocid=mailsignoutmd

#

Agree 100% with Ack ack, but don't forget, the three clowns mentioned above, and Mrs Balls are always very quick to try to shift the blame onto the bankers. My feeling is that Labour created the problem and the banking crisis helped bring it all crashing down.

Edited by chrisv

In fairness, you didn't KW but i remain to be convinced by UKIP economic policy. Remember that they only have MPs who have jumped ship and whilst by-elections have re elected them, it is still not clear if they are voting for the man or the party.

In fairness, you didn't KW but i remain to be convinced by UKIP economic policy. Remember that they only have MPs who have jumped ship and whilst by-elections have re elected them, it is still not clear if they are voting for the man or the party.

I remain to be convinced the con men represent me as a PAYE higher rate taxpayer,and I cant ever forget they sold off our utilities to the highest bidder who are now almost exclusively overseas owned and who are taking the profit from them out of the country, and I certainly dont ever want to vote for the traitorous labour scum that gave my country away so UKIP for me and a chance I willingly would love to take.shame it seems more dont have the balls to try for change.

KW

Edited by kdubya

I remain to be convinced the con men represent me as a PAYE higher rate taxpayer,and I cant ever forget they sold off our utilities to the highest bidder who are now almost exclusively overseas owned and who are taking the profit from them out of the country, and I certainly dont ever want to vote for the traitorous labour scum that gave my country away so UKIP for me and a chance I willingly would love to take.shame it seems more dont have the balls to try for change.

KW

As a fellow PAYE higher rate taxpayer I am not willing to take a chance with UKIP and feel that the Conservatives better represent me. Unfortunately we are likely to both be disappointed and have to suffer Balls et al.