where do I stand

gav05

Right guys and girls. I own my own plumbing and heating business and had a job come in that required a pipe threading tool so I went on a well known auction site and bought a used one of a company that deals in refub tools. But I collected and paid outside of the auction Long and short iv used it today for the first time and managed 4 threads and its started smoking and a burning smell has developed. What are my statutory rights im going to call him tomorrow just want to know where I stand I have a full receipt but no terms stated. Is this enough to entitle me to a full refund? Any advice much appreciated.

Did you say you bought outside of the auction? If that's what I think you said I think eBay will not help you as it clearly states that no sales should be outside of the auction.I would just contact the seller,last week I bought a set of car wind deflectors( car windows) and although they fitted the wind noise was terrible on the motorway.I emailed them and they paid refund and didn't even want them sent back.

Wish I had done it through ebay but I made a offer and the guy accepted only on the condition I paid by card when I got there to avoid his fees. He said it worked fine and showed me it work. The motor ran fine forward and reverse. I couldn't test it with pipe as it was missing the pipe clamp. So i ordered one and tried it today and obviously its not right. This was bought collected Thursdays used 4 times today problem is its not completely packed I stopped before it went completely. As he is a company I think he will be ok. just wanted to know my rights before I call.

Your protection is your card payment in default, ask the guy for either a new tool or a refund - he may be reasonable. Failing that, consider trading standards and the small claims court ( all costs incurred can be reclaimed). How much did it cost ? If it all goes pear - shaped it may not be a total loss - experience is costly to accumulate.

its a tool dealer he is in to plant diggers lawnmowers and hand and power tools. Deals in all used stuff mainly but is a proper company so should be ok. Iv literally done 4 threads out of 40 plus and know it won't finish the job. I bought it to save on me keep hiring one but dont do it often enough to warrant a new one cost wise. Hopefully he will resolve the issue hassle free.

Yes he has a workshop and a Portable Cabin with a office he has business registered on Company's house. With a reg number its all legit and above board. I just didn't know where I stood with used goods and the fact the motor ran whilst he showed me there but could not be shown working Until I had sourced the clamp required. Im hoping he will accept it and refund it.

Edited by gav05