when happens, how you deal with flinching?

Orangeclay

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suddenly tensing you muscles up as you go to shoot causing the barrel to move off target. Everybody has done it on occasion.

Could be caused by bad gunfit or firing too heavy a round before your ready for them or anticipating recoil or tender muscles or not wearing ear defenders.I am sure there are lots more causes.

It can become ingrained.

One way to stop it is too deep breath before you shoot to relax yourself.

Another if it is becoming ingrained is to put snap caps in the gun and do dry fire practice at home. This will build your muscles up too and help with muscle memory if its a shotgun.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

If you are like me ,it is your brain which won't allow you to pull the trigger.Sometimes I have three or four goes before finally getting the gun to fire. My flinching I know is pretty extreem and is caused by the bodys fear of recoil,which I don't actually feel but obviously my brain does.I have tried lots of lighter cartridges but then I suffer from a lack of confidence in the light loads, which again I know is a load of old tosh. Rock and a hard spot for me.The old buzzard has almost had her day but I still love the sport so what the heck... from Auntie.

If anyone has mental trigger flinch and wants to have a shot at getting rid of it I reckon I can help. I'm on maternity leave this year but would put myself out for someone prepared to give working with me on this a shot. Should be a one day thing, and most of that is contingency time.

People from PW were very nice to me when my chokes were stolen, so I'll give this one back. PM me if you're interested.

Mental trigger flinch is basically a past experience sparked into rerunning. Address the root memory and you deal with the problem. Most "cures" are spark avoidance. It's the same method I use to cure PTSD. It works no matter how small the problem.

If anyone has mental trigger flinch and wants to have a shot at getting rid of it I reckon I can help. I'm on maternity leave this year but would put myself out for someone prepared to give working with me on this a shot. Should be a one day thing, and most of that is contingency time.

People from PW were very nice to me when my chokes were stolen, so I'll give this one back. PM me if you're interested.

Mental trigger flinch is basically a past experience sparked into rerunning. Address the root memory and you deal with the problem. Most "cures" are spark avoidance. It's the same method I use to cure PTSD. It works no matter how small the problem.

A very good offer. Pigeon Watch. At its best. :) Edited by loriusgarrulus

Great offer I feel for anyone with a mental trigger block as it hard to fix with out head doctor type magic.

A cure for PTSD , please tell me more :)

Guest Mick.j

I would have thought if you had a trigger flinch you would pull the trigger before you needed to.

Are people getting mixed up with 'Trigger freeze' the inability to pull the trigger at the correct time or not at all.

The op asked about 'Flinching' this is a nerve related issue via signals from the brain.

Similar to a twitching eyelid - just happens and goes. Or when you just nod of you may jerk/twitch an arm etc.

Evening Madam, good to see you're getting back in to it! :good:

Thank you, Mr TC. The baby is making it bloody hard to type, but I have sent some PMs today.

ehb, what causes the mental trigger flinch and how you are sure that is... mental and not from other aspects involved in the shooting

process.

In other words, how do you diagnose a mental flinch ??

When all other options have failed I suppose. I personally had a burr on the gun mechanism plus a habit of not taking my finger off the trigger between shots. That wasn't a head problem.

ehb you said

;When all other options have failed;

what kind of options are you refer to and who is solving them before you conclude that is a mental flinching?

When you say mental you refer to brain memory or some psyhological problem??

Sorry, is trigger flinch (or freeze) something you suffer from? I think the "why didn't that work?" moment after pulling the trigger is fairly self explanatory. You check everything you can and when external factors have been addressed it must be a problem with the shooter. When it's not something you are doing physically in error it can only be something you do you unconsciously.

I work with memories and awareness. I don't brand anything a problem, that's down to the individual.

Guest Mick.j

Sorry, is trigger flinch (or freeze) something you suffer from? I think the "why didn't that work?" moment after pulling the trigger is fairly self explanatory. You check everything you can and when external factors have been addressed it must be a problem with the shooter. When it's not something you are doing physically in error it can only be something you do you unconsciously.

I work with memories and awareness. I don't brand anything a problem, that's down to the individual.

I may be wrong on this, but i thought a flinch was an involuntary muscle movement - hence flinch/twitch.

Trigger freeze is the inability to pull the trigger.

TWO very different problems

I may be wrong on this, but i thought a flinch was an involuntary muscle movement - hence flinch/twitch.

Trigger freeze is the inability to pull the trigger.

TWO very different problems

I noted your last post and included both terms because people often use "flinch" in cases when they have been hurt and are preemptively avoiding pain. They are withdrawing from anticipated pain. That would be a fair use IMO. Flinch in the sense of muscular twitch caused by a stroke is not something I deal with.

When I was much much younger, I used to go clay shooting with my Old man and Uncle.. I only used to watch as i was around 7 years old. but i do remember my uncle used to have problems with taking a 2nd shot. Him and my old man thought it was a problem with the gun. on further investigation my uncle found out that it was a human error by not letting go of the trigger after the first shot. Not sure if this has anything to do with twitching... but just a thought

As I know, ;Flinching;is the result of a trigger freeze. If you can,t pull the trigger you will flinch, jerk, throw the gun. etc.

Now, the causes of trigger fresze are several, I suppose, so the trigger freeze, caused by mental factors have some specifics to be

sorted out.

What are the causes of mental trigger freeze and how you diagnose them other than speculating and eliminating other factors???

As I understand you are an expert, so I would like to learn!

As I know, ;Flinching;is the result of a trigger freeze. If you can,t pull the trigger you will flinch, jerk, throw the gun. etc.

Now, the causes of trigger fresze are several, I suppose, so the trigger freeze, caused by mental factors have some specifics to be

sorted out.

What are the causes of mental trigger freeze and how you diagnose them other than speculating and eliminating other factors???

As I understand you are an expert, so I would like to learn!

Oh, gosh! Well, it's nice you want to learn but I'm not a teacher I'm afraid. I can't really make my explaination any simpler.I just do what I do and it can be applied to lots of things. I don't diagnose though, you need a psychiatrist for that.

One thing I have seen which helps involves a pal and clays. You buy some ver light loads and go to a clay ground at a quiet time. Easy clay which you will shoot. The thing is the pal loads the gun behind you (like a loader on a double gun shoot) only sometimes you get a snap cap and sometimes a cartridge. This fools your mind because it doesn't know if there is going to be recoil or not. I have seen it work, but if it doesn't show an improvement quite quickly get further help. Of course if you are near Cambridge there is a better offer out there.

Best wishes,

David.

The studies of flinching for other shooting disciplines are intereting and helpfull to understand the process, I am looking SPECIFICALLY for flinching studies regarding the shotgun disciplines. The still and moving targets make the difference on why and how flinching occurs during the shooting action.

Thank you, keep them coming!