Open FAC application Norfolk

mine was 3 years to step up to a .243 open ticket (Suffolk) may be shorter if you only want a 17HMR, they don't have the manpower to assess land that's not already cleared so that may help as long as you can show your competent, I undertook a 2 day Rifle safety course in support of my application it cant do any harm

I recently spoke to the Norfolk firearms officer and he said automatically opened up on first renewal, but could apply after 3 years. I've got around 6000 acres but only had fac for a year, bit of a pain keep taking permission forms to police but no bother really.

however, if you can prove to the fao that you're competent and have someone willing to vouch for you then they'll open your ticket up earlier. I got mine opened after a year, I did ask only for the shotgun and rimfire but it came back with everything cleared.

it also depends on if you need an open ticket, I had quite a few invites to shoot and it was awkward with a closed ticket.

I recently spoke to the Norfolk firearms officer and he said automatically opened up on first renewal, but could apply after 3 years. I've got around 6000 acres but only had fac for a year, bit of a pain keep taking permission forms to police but no bother really.

I've had mine for 14 years and its still closed.

Yep i think a lot of licensing authorities are adopting this policy of automatic opening on renewal. However i understand that a request for an open certificate will be considered on an individual basis before the existing certificate expires. As has been said. Speak to your licensing authority and ask them the question. Only they can give you a definitive answer ;)

ATB,

Pat

Why do you have to take 'permission forms' to the police? Surely on a closed ticket you can shoot wherever you have permission and the land is cleared. Most often the land owner would know whether his land had been cleared and to what calibre. On that basis you are free to shoot, providing you are within any calibre restriction. On the rare occasion where it's not known whether land has been cleared, a phone call to the Firearms Admin team would probably give you an answer.

Why do you have to take 'permission forms' to the police? Surely on a closed ticket you can shoot wherever you have permission and the land is cleared. Most often the land owner would know whether his land had been cleared and to what calibre. On that basis you are free to shoot, providing you are within any calibre restriction. On the rare occasion where it's not known whether land has been cleared, a phone call to the Firearms Admin team would probably give you an answer.

With a closed cert, you cannot assume any land is cleared or take someone else's word for it - just to protect yourself under the firearms Act - hence you apply for permission -If its already cleared for your calibre you should get a quick response. If it isnt, a 'visit' to clear is required. Its not until you are a 'trusted shooter' (if such a person exists), that you are allowed to decide on your own and your cert is opened.

Cheers for the input guys maybe I will call my FAO and just ask what criteria if there is any for getting an open ticket , ive lost a couple of potential permissions/invites due to land not being passed and the landowners not wanting the hassle of it being checked , even though ive explain this is a simple process , cheers anyway.