pheasants with airgun

Joshcup11

After trawling through the airgun selection of Facebook groups I've seen a few photos of pheasants that have been shot with a sub 12 air rifle. Is it just me that thinks sub 12 is a bit too little for these beautiful birds?obviously no longer shooting season so no one should be shooting them, proably because I've been brought up in a game kind of life and would only shoot them with a shotgun,each to there own just wanted to hear others opinions!

josh

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in the saddlery and gunpoint in biggin hill once and a gypsy was asking about air rifles and the salesperson asked what he was going to use it for and he replies 'pheasants' and everyone looked and wasn't impressed. Maybe if there's a problem Cockbird round a pen then I suppose a close range headshot would be okay.

Thats true. Admittidley like everything there is exeptions. But for walking around shooting them and shooting them whilst there roosting i think its unnaceptable. Like i said that may just be how ive been brought up but if someone was to come and buy one of my guns and say it was for shooting phesants i would usher them out of my house using a wide range of vocabulary!Appauling!

Josh

Oh my, this is in danger of being just like the other threads on the same thing.

A sub 12 airgun will cleanly dispatch a pheasant at a suitable range if a head shot... I doubt very much their heads are any stronger than rabbits..

HOWEVER:

Is it right to shoot a pheasant with an airgun?

This is where you will see some serious arguing about what is classed as 'sporting' or not. You'll have some members saying only a shotgun and other saying that loads fly away and don't die as they haven't been hit properly whilst moving etc...

The simple fact I guess is that most pheasants are reared to be shot at by shotguns from paying punters as they offer a good sporting opportunity and they are bred for that purpose, so someone going about shooting them with a airgun is poor form.

I guess thats what im attempting to get at! Yes i suspose like anything in air rifle quarry standards, phesants will be dispatched humanely at the right distance with the right shot, its just the shooters opinion,like i said I personally would only use a shotgun because of the birds sporting heritage,this is why i agree with you when you say it is poor form to go after the bird with anything other

Josh

Again im not quite sure. I know for a fact when im out wildfowling its non toxic, but im inclined to think that because your inland you can use toxic. Dont take that for definate. I assume because your allowed to shoot duck with lead inland,so i dont see why you couldnt shoot canadas inland with toxic shot. The reason for non toxic when wildfowling was to preserve the marsh and the other wildlife which would eat or digest the shot. But im sure you dont want a history lesson!

Josh

josh ,,,

any chance that you could explain " WHY " you should " NOT " shoot pheasant with an air rifle ???

after reading what you have written so far you are either trying to be a high class idiot or simply you are already one who,s head is so far up your own backside trying to be lord of the manor its unreal,

sorry for being blunt but people like yourself are just trying to look down your noses at air rifle shooters and hunters, " WHY "

I am one of those people who will spend hours and hours out in fields in all weathers shooting with an air rifle and then you have the " way too much money I,m better than you cos my cars bigger than yours clowns " who will put a set of tweeds on probably at most 3 times a year , turn up in his top of the shop range rover and pay stupid money to shoot pheasants on the estate, and will not even lift a gun or even a finger to see just what goes on behind the scenes to ensure he has a very nice day out shooting with his friends,and you write here that

" but if someone was to come and buy one of my guns and say it was for shooting pheasants i would usher them out of my house using a wide range of vocabulary!Appauling!

you need to get a grip mate and stop trying to think your better than the person standing next to you,

I know many people whom have worked all there life and have never been able to afford shooting on an estate,yet they have an air rifle and spend all year out shooting pests and looking after the countryside and you think its right that they should not be allowed to shoot a pheasant with an air rifle ???

topics like what you have started just make my blood boil,

all I can say is its no wonder shooting is getting harder and harder for the average joe blogs because people have the same attitude as you,

try doing a full season in the beating line or picking up to see just how many pheasants are wounded and its the likes of me and my dog that has to spend my time picking them up and dispatching them whilst " the guns don't even care about their welfare "

"not all guns are like this" but I find the people with your attitude are,

an air rifle shooter has just as much right to shoot a pheasant as someone with a shotgun does be it a paid shoot or not,

here is a picture of myself with a pheasant that I spent ALL DAY lying in the grass in a hedgeline waiting to get , shot with a single .22 pellet to the head, died instantly

permission%20and%20pheasant%202012-11-16

,,and do you know what,,it tasted better than any I have shot with a shotgun because I had bloody earn,t it,

you need to have a rethink mate , its got nothing to do with sporting heritage at all, that's just a bull excuse,

I await your self centred reply to my questions

Edited by evo

josh ,,,

any chance that you could explain " WHY " you should " NOT " shoot pheasant with an air rifle ???

after reading what you have written so far you are either trying to be a high class idiot or simply you are already one who,s head is so far up your own backside trying to be lord of the manor its unreal,

sorry for being blunt but people like yourself are just trying to look down your noses at air rifle shooters and hunters, " WHY "

I am one of those people who will spend hours and hours out in fields in all weathers shooting with an air rifle and then you have the " way too much money I,m better than you cos my cars bigger than yours clowns " who will put a set of tweeds on probably at most 3 times a year , turn up in his top of the shop range rover and pay stupid money to shoot pheasants on the estate, and will not even lift a gun or even a finger to see just what goes on behind the scenes to ensure he has a very nice day out shooting with his friends,and you write here that

" but if someone was to come and buy one of my guns and say it was for shooting pheasants i would usher them out of my house using a wide range of vocabulary!Appauling!

you need to get a grip mate and stop trying to think your better than the person standing next to you,

I know many people whom have worked all there life and have never been able to afford shooting on an estate,yet they have an air rifle and spend all year out shooting pests and looking after the countryside and you think its right that they should not be allowed to shoot a pheasant with an air rifle ???

topics like what you have started just make my blood boil,

all I can say is its no wonder shooting is getting harder and harder for the average joe blogs because people have the same attitude as you,

try doing a full season in the beating line or picking up to see just how many pheasants are wounded and its the likes of me and my dog that has to spend my time picking them up and dispatching them whilst " the guns don't even care about their welfare "

"not all guns are like this" but I find the people with your attitude are,

an air rifle shooter has just as much right to shoot a pheasant as someone with a shotgun does be it a paid shoot or not,

here is a picture of myself with a pheasant that I spent ALL DAY lying in the grass in a hedgeline waiting to get , shot with a single .22 pellet to the head, died instantly

,,and do you know what,,it tasted better than any I have shot with a shotgun because I had bloody earn,t it,

you need to have a rethink mate , its got nothing to do with sporting heritage at all, that's just a bull excuse,

I await your self centred reply to my questions

Couldn't agree more EVO

It's called hunting.

Kill it cleanly, then get it in the pot.

Evo, I agree with the majority of points you put across on your posts. I myself shoot every night 5 days a week,lamping rabbits and Saturday I shoot all day,without fail,bare in mind I'm only 16 I love the sport and shoot with my airride more than anything. I'm not trying to have a dig at those who shoot pheasants with an air rifle and can also assure you I don't own one item of tweed. I bush beat all season on 3 game shoots locally and me and my dog do the majority of picking up. I have seen a lot of wounded pheasants. I didn't mean to start a thread which came across as me taking a dig and saying that it is an issue shooting them with an air rifle, I just wanted to voice MY opinion,of which I stand by, I personally would not do it,mainly because I see pheasants as a sporting bird,this however is because of how I have been brought up,and I can also Garuntee I'm no range rover driving,purdy wheeling "hooray Henry". I'm not self centred and I'm no where near a snob! I work for what I have and I appreciate what I have, At the end of the day this could be argued till the cows come home,it's each to there own and I respect your opinion and would appreciate it if you respected mine.

Josh

Another point is, from reading the majority of your posts it occurs to me you shoot mainly FAC air? As I said In the start of this it's the 12ft lb part which gets me. the people I have seen doing this or have told me about this either need a more powerful gun for the dispatch or need a hell of a long time at the range sorting there selves out!

Let's just say it's a VERY contentious subject. I've shot a few cockbirds in the situation I stated above in my comment when I was helping a keeper. I agree with Evo that 1 or 2 pheasants with an air rifle for the pot is okay and the bird would probably suffer a lot less with a clean headshot than an incompetent gun on a shoot pricking birds. Pheasant is classed as shotgun shooting and that what the history of it has created and I can see why people frown upon Shooting them with an Airgun but really what's the difference between a stationery pheasant or a stationery rabbit,magpie,crow etc. I suppose pheasants arent pests and most airgun quarry are pests and that's why maybe people frown upon it but then you can argue why do you shoot them for fun on a bought day and so on. Owwww I'm going round in circles haha. Funnily as I write this a hobbling cockbird is 40yds from me on someone's lawn so do I reach for the air rifle? Hahaha

I was in the saddlery and gunpoint in biggin hill once and a gypsy was asking about air rifles and the salesperson asked what he was going to use it for and he replies 'pheasants' and everyone looked and wasn't impressed. Maybe if there's a problem Cockbird round a pen then I suppose a close range headshot would be okay.

Prior to the "sales person asking" ... what was the air rifle to be used for ... was the first question .. Excuse me my kind fellow; but by chance, could you confirm to me that you are indeed a Gypsy ...

That certainly is going the extra mile by Saddlery & Gunpoint of Biggin Hill ..

Edited by hoggysreels

josh,,lets see if you have the same opinion in 40 years time,

I was brought up with my cousin being the head game keeper on one of the largest estates in Cheshire,he still shot pheasants with a springer I might add,

also where do you get I only shoot fac air ???. I only ever shoot sub 12ftlb

also you have not answered my questions, please re read what you said in red in my post and explain you where not getting at people whom shoot pheasants with air rifles because you was josh,

if you wasn,t then why did you post such a comment

Josh, in England you are not allowed to shoot wildfowl with lead shot anywhere, ie species specific. You are not allowed to use lead shot over SSSI's in England to shoot anything . It is in Scotland where it is habitat specific.

I did think I wasn't correct hence why I stated not to take it for definate!

Cheers

Josh

Now for the reality check from a keeper before the driven game bashing carries on there is no contention it's quite straight forward if you have permission and it's in season crack on old phessie won't care if he's shot with an air gun or a canon dead is dead

josh,,lets see if you have the same opinion in 40 years time,

I was brought up with my cousin being the head game keeper on one of the largest estates in Cheshire,he still shot pheasants with a springer I might add,

also where do you get I only shoot fac air ???. I only ever shoot sub 12ftlb

also you have not answered my questions, please re read what you said in red in my post and explain you where not getting at people whom shoot pheasants with air rifles because you was josh,

if you wasn,t then why did you post such a comment

assuming your talking about the "ushering out of my house" that would be because of MY opinion on the matter. Nothing else I personally don't see it sporting enough. I will pm you and have a full length discussion into why I don't think its acceptable but it's just my opinion. I'm sure you have opinions on things to which others don't agree.

To be honest if they are in season and most importantly the landowner is ok with them being shot crack on. On quite a few permissions I would guess unless they have organised driven shoots or rough shoots the phesants are a pest as much as pigeons as they will be eating crop the same as the aformentioned pigeons.

A sub 12/ ft/lb air rifle would have no problems dispatching them with a head shot a sensible ranges and what a nice meal they make :good: . Also you dont end up after a head shot with an air rifle picking out bits of lead from the meat.

Hi

I wear tweeds shoot a purdy and my chauffeur drives me in the range rover

What's wrong with that ?

Kettles on

Popcorn at the ready

Best of luck

Of

yes but you do look like james bond sir so that's acceptable :lol::lol: :lol: