10 bore duck loads

Thanks for reply old farrier, iv ordered the steel loading manual, so was thinking of using steel, iv got a lot of federal 3 1/2 " cases. I bought the gun and loading gear as a package so have lots of components, but unsure if there the best bits to use as a steel duck load. It all seems very complicated the more I read up on it, haha

Hia fellas, I'm wanting to start homeloading , got the machine, got a load of shells, need to get get powder,primers wads and shot yet, anybody got any recommendations on loads? I'm wanting to use this gone as my main wildfowling gun , any help welcomed thanks

39 grams is a nice load for duck in 10g 3.75mm shot works well that's a 2# in US sizes . some powders are in short supply at the moment so it might be a case of what you can get and not what you want where were you planning on getting your stuff from

Thanks for reply old farrier, iv ordered the steel loading manual, so was thinking of using steel, iv got a lot of federal 3 1/2 " cases. I bought the gun and loading gear as a package so have lots of components, but unsure if there the best bits to use as a steel duck load. It all seems very complicated the more I read up on it, haha

Clay and Game data sheet 021 for steel shot has 10g loads for Federal 3 1/3" cases. Costs £1 and they'll e mail it to you.

Cheers for that fellas, I was looking at clay game for supplies, I'll give them an email regarding that data sheet too, iv read a lot that alliant powder and Sam 1 wads are they stuff to use,is this right? And only primers I seem to come across are cheddite,is there others? Cheers

Sam1 wads will go well with the federal cases , I think you will find that alliant steel powder will be pretty much impossible to get at the moment though.

Also some of the later lots of steel powder have shown to be producing more pressure but the recipes in the manuals have not been updated to reflect this , so I would recommend backing off the powder by a couple of grains and testing .

Primer wise not sure about 10 gauge but I reload 12 gauge in federal cases and most recipes use winchester 209 primers , there can be some fit issues using european primers in American cases and vice versa I am led to believe.

a lot of the clay and game data is old and some over pressure the newer loads that Steve dales has done are safe and he has the proof sheets to go with the loads the new maxam powder has a 11/2oz load whish uses ched cases and multimetal wads runs at 1400 fps I have a load I developed with PSB2 this is 1 3/8oz pushing 1425fps in a ched case and primer . stay away from the hard to get wads and primers if you can fed primers are great but can be hard to get hold of and have to be ordered .

Edited by UK fowler

I mainly use Alliant steel and Sam1 wads for my duck and goose loads in the 10. I haven't put them over a chrono, but they should be running at around 1550 fps in a 1 1/2 oz load. I have had very good results using them over the last couple of seasons, though i'm now using more dense shot for foreshore geese.

Thanks for replies fellas,I'm going to start ordering the bits required, grandalf I'll give Anthony a call first chance I'm home at a reasonable hour for a chat and pick his brains, I'm working long hours at the minute to get a house ready for the market, don't want to bother him at this sort of hour..haha... Yeah I'm fully recovered from drive now, you live in a Bonny part of the country grandalf, very lucky

I mainly use Alliant steel and Sam1 wads for my duck and goose loads in the 10. I haven't put them over a chrono, but they should be running at around 1550 fps in a 1 1/2 oz load. I have had very good results using them over the last couple of seasons, though i'm now using more dense shot for foreshore geese.

Have you moved away from using Steel?

Have you moved away from using Steel?

I haven't moved away from using steel exactly, it's just I (along with a few friends) have had such good results with HW13 that I shall be using that more than steel for the geese on the marsh.

Guest cookoff013

I haven't moved away from using steel exactly, it's just I (along with a few friends) have had such good results with HW13 that I shall be using that more than steel for the geese on the marsh.

performance costs money. i can see why you`ve moved to hw13....

did you de-compensate for shotsizes?

go back to lead sizes?

or go for a new size?

performance costs money. i can see why you`ve moved to hw13....

did you de-compensate for shotsizes?

go back to lead sizes?

or go for a new size?

From using 4.5mm steel, mainly (with good success), I now use 3.8mm Hw13. I may try even smaller shot for the coming season.