Best type of pistol sight

welshwizard

Just bought a CP1 air pistol and very pleased with it apart from the front blade sight being so big ,however I don't really want to remove it so thinking about adding either a pistol scope , a red dot or perhaps a reflex or aimpoint (similar to r.dot) I use it mainly for target but its .22 and seems powerful enough for small vermin -rats .

So what thoughts have you on mounted sights , which one and how good is it , any links appreciated ,thanks in advance .

With pistols I've always preferred the open sights they come with. Stock with them a while longer before you decide to change. If u do then a red dot/holographic one is my preferred choice over a scope and cheap enough to not be a problem.

thanks but this front blade does not aid accurate shooting ,very pleased with how the pistol performs though .

Hi, I've got a Hw45 Air pistol. I found the open sights are ok, but never really grouped particuarly well with them. There is a wide range of red dot sights available specifically for pistols, and they work pretty well. I've got a Hawke RD 25 on mine now and can actually hit things with it consistently. They cost around £30.

-Andrew

My complaint with the CP 1 sights is that the rear sight is too narrow. - Pistol used for precision target shooting have excellent sights, evolved to do their job perfectly. Shooting really small groups at 10 or 25 meters with one hand, unsupported is quite possible with standard open target sights, it just takes loads of practice.

The open sights on a target pistol have big square block sights and work really well.

If you want to fit something other than open sights then the easiest would be a basic red dot sight - these are often no or low magnification and don't have the eye relief problems that most scope have, dedicated pistol scope are often more expensive.

The cheap red dot scope will fit straight on the CP1 once the open rear sight is slipped off.

Thanks

My complaint with the CP 1 sights is that the rear sight is too narrow. - Pistol used for precision target shooting have excellent sights, evolved to do their job perfectly. Shooting really small groups at 10 or 25 meters with one hand, unsupported is quite possible with standard open target sights, it just takes loads of practice.

The open sights on a target pistol have big square block sights and work really well.

If you want to fit something other than open sights then the easiest would be a basic red dot sight - these are often no or low magnification and don't have the eye relief problems that most scope have, dedicated pistol scope are often more expensive.

The cheap red dot scope will fit straight on the CP1 once the open rear sight is slipped off.

Thanks 1066 glad you also find these open sights fitted on this pistol similar to my thoughts , have been looking at the red dot sights and see they have little or no mag and was wondering which would be best as I have not tried one but looking at the Walther , are they all equally as good in varying degrees of light - i.e. full sunlight through to overcast or dusk ?

Thanks

Thanks 1066 glad you also find these open sights fitted on this pistol similar to my thoughts , have been looking at the red dot sights and see they have little or no mag and was wondering which would be best as I have not tried one but looking at the Walther , are they all equally as good in varying degrees of light - i.e. full sunlight through to overcast or dusk ?

I really don't think there's much to choose between the cheaper ones. If you want to spend a wad of money then something like an aimpoint is excellent, but then it costs £400 or so.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aimpoint-MICRO-H-1-Optics-red/dp/B007R6AF9Q

I have a cheap £30ish basic one that works well. I've used it on air rifles, pistols, rimfire and .357 lever action rifle. It has 12 levels of brightness and never looses it's zero once set.

http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products/red-dot--laser-sights-red-dot-sights/nsrs130-nikko-stirling-30mm-red-dot-sight-with-38-intergrated-mounts.html

• 3 years later...

I apologize for bump an old topic...

For what it is worth, I have standard Trijicon  https://thetacticalscopes.com/best-combat-pistol-sights/ sights on my Glock 17 and Springfield TRP. Its what they came with. I shoot the Glock fine though do wish it would hit better at extended distances, though the other week when I shot an IDPA match with it over in Alabama with a friend of mine it didn't have much issue hitting any target though the groups weren't get, but on par with what everyone else was shooting with polymer guns, Glocks, M&Ps, XDs, ect. That said, I wouldn't mind a set of night sites with a slimmer front site on the glock. 
My TRP though I have never had much of an issue hitting with at all at whatever range I shot with it within reason. That said, its front sight post is slimmer then what is on my Glock along with a longer sight radius. 
I do have an older Beretta 92SB with just the standard U notch rear with a little white on it and a front post with a white dot that I have absolutely no issue hitting a target with, even pie plates at the 100-meter berm with pretty regular consistency when I last had it out there. 
For what it is worth, I personally don't like fiber optic sights for combat or defensive use. I have had them on other pistols and shotguns for competition and had the fiber optic part fall out on several occasions under less than hard use. Don't know if anyone has come up with a way to really hold them in tight. I've seen tritium inserts fall out too, but much less often with less effect to being able to effectively engage with the gun. I often look at Youtube for different videos on this topic, I will leave one here, maybe this will be useful to someone in the future.Good Luck.