.22-250 rebarrel

fieldwanderer

For those that remember me mentioning it, I thought I'd shot the barrel out on my .22-250 but thankfully hadn't - it's back to shooting .3 to .5moa

However, I intend to get it re-barrelled again later this year in something deer legal. I'd still like to use it for fox and long range vermin though so .308's probably a little o.t.t.

So far, I'm keen on the .260 rem (trying to get away from barrel burners too :eh: ) Any other ideas?

Rifle's a Sako 75 action III, their list for that action is; .243, 7mm 08 and .308 (and .22-250) Personally, I'd rather not go with .243 but obviously there's a lot of cartridges based on the .308. Soo, just looking at my options really - to me, it makes more sense to spend £600ish on a rebarrel to make a jack of all trades than buy another rifle + scope etc and use both.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyway. My 308 with 110grn vmax was not over the top on vermin! In fact it was bloomin good!

Some of it comes down to what the police'll let me have for fox AND deer, with it all being a bit flat around here I think I'm probably limited to 6.5mm max (if that). Compared, it seems a lot of people are going over to the .260 rather than .308 these days because of it's higher b.c.

I will be loading my own but I think id rather not bother with ackley because of the hastle fire forming etc

260. 140 Amax Anything is game at ranges that you wouldn't dream of with a 22.250. Furthest I've got so far is 625 yds and still room to go. It's a fantastic round.

thought you were having issues with yours and ready to send it back to brock n norris.

Personnally I wouldn't look at 22 BR is a nightmare to bulid to feed well let alone reliably.

6mm BR possibly.

If you don't want 243, which I like for fox and deer up to fallow, for me that leaves 2 good choices

308 some police forces aren't keen on it for foxes but I like it as a calibre and never had a fox complain it was to dead

Or

260 versitile and effective.