Electric trolley for shifting decoying equipment

Nomispw

Hi having had to carry my gear over a 1000 yards today and then carrying my gear plus 28 pigeons back I am fairly knackered tonight. As someone who is starting to get on a bit I have been thinking about some type of electric powered trolley to carry my stuff. I know that there are a number of electric fishing trolleys on the market but has anyone used these for transporting pigeon gear ?

I have recently bought an electric carp barrow from Prestige engineering comes with rear legs and auxiliary wheels,reduces the price a bit if you choose to omit some of the side bars and the centre bag,has a large battery and all terrain tyre,its a great piece of kit I have actually ridden on it although wouldn't recommend it for more than a few yards,downside of course is the price.

I would look at trying to condense the gear on those longer treks. shell deeks instead of full bodies, using floaters in place of the rotary, look at lighter camo nets like the blind type, or use the natural surrounding as a hide, obviously if at all possible.

Of course taking the normal 250 cartridges just in case :rolleyes: , your not able to cut down on those :lol:

Plenty of secondhand electric golf trolleys on eBay that might be adapted. We use a large plastic child's sledge which slides well on grass or soil to cart stuff also bought off ebay.

Sounds a good idea. I have an electric golf cart but the wheels are fairly small. I think they would get clogged up too much and the treads are poor. I think you would spend more time pulling it than guiding it. You definitely need big wheels.

• 1 month later...

some of the "professional" pigeon and duck shooters/film makers (you tube and DVD) use them.

I've seen Darren Bailey from Shootingandmore using one in one of his DVD's.

I believe it's an electric powered fishing trolley. That said, they DO look rather slow, but seem to cope well with most terrain

Being 60+ and suffering badly from arthritis, I try to drive everywhere, but some places carrying it is the only option, so might end up getting one myself :(

Edited by Redditch

have the same problem as a lot of older shooters.... the arthritics.... so decided to cut nets in half , use Sillosox decoys , crows and pigeons, only use two very light hide poles , directors chair with an upside down u on it to attach nets and the lot can fit on a cut down carp trolly tied down with poundshop bungees

The main net is attached to the poles and has a clearview top bit of 2 footish , the bottom bit is a stealth. two half stealth on the sides makes it very compact.

have been using the sillosocks for some years now and would not use anything else if possible

It may not be as much gear as I want to take but being in my late 60s just have not got the omph [ although going to pensioners keep fit] as a younger chap.

• 3 weeks later...

If you go for an electric golf trolley then you can get things called crocodiles ( or is it alligators). Either way they screw onto the wheels, over the treads and have a large number of 2cm cones sticking out of them. The treads on most golf trolleys are almost useless so you need something else. Some courses insist on them in the winter as they do little or no damage to the fairways. Phone a few pro shops to find them. They are good or so I believe.

Edited by Uncle Albert

have the same problem as a lot of older shooters.... the arthritics.... so decided to cut nets in half , use Sillosox decoys , crows and pigeons, only use two very light hide poles , directors chair with an upside down u on it to attach nets and the lot can fit on a cut down carp trolly tied down with poundshop bungees

Just be careful with those bungee ropes. I had one flip off and wack me on the head. I considered myself to be lucky. Needles to say i don't use them anymore

• 3 weeks later...

I've just bought myself a Prestige MK2 Streamline barrow to cart my gear about. It certainly looks the business and should work well. It has a large wheel with a good tread on it. Have a look on Angling Direct's web site. They have all the barrows on there. It folds up well and due to try it out this week.

let me know how you get on with it uncle. in the same boat myself 69yrs and a bypass. been lucky most places been able to drive or no more than 100yds walk and take 2 trips i am sure it will change though, getting much stricter on the grass verges around the fields.one 600 acre farm i shoot had 3 inspections this year even the game keeper on his gater was stopped.

let me know how you get on with it uncle. in the same boat myself 69yrs and a bypass. been lucky most places been able to drive or no more than 100yds walk and take 2 trips i am sure it will change though, getting much stricter on the grass verges around the fields.one 600 acre farm i shoot had 3 inspections this year even the game keeper on his gater was stopped.

Good point, too many people think the headlands are for walking on.....