Air rifle Moderators,

evo

ok guys, what one are you using and on what rifle and also what do you think of it ???

I have been doing a few tests today to see which silencer/moderator works best on my daystates,

for the tests I used a sub 12ftlb Daystate Air ranger .177,

firstly I tried the carbon reflex mk5 it was quiet and from 30yrds away I could still hear the rifle being shot,actually firing the rifle it sounded ok but not very quiet,

I then tried the weihrauch , from 30yrds away I could hear the rifle being fired but no where near as loud as the mk5 reflex, also firing the gun it was considerably quieter than the mk 5 and I was very impressed just how quiet it was,

I then tried the Twink mk2, from 30yrds I could not hear the rifle being fired no matter how hard I tried and when I fired the rifle the only thing I could hear was the hammer striking, the rifle was virtually silent,

I went 20 yrds away and I could just make out the rifle being fired, now I know the weihrauch was quiet but the Twink mk2 certainly was quieter , the only downside was it was fatter than the weihrauch but an inch shorter,

I was very very impressed with the twink ,,, I have the xl mk6 on my wolverine b and will be testing that against the Twink mk2 tomorrow

what gun and what silencer combination are you guys using and what do you think of how quiet your moderator is ???

atb Evo

Hi Evo, an interesting read... :good:

I use a modified Air Arms silencer on my s400 and find it pretty quiet, certainly not worth me buying another. I removed the internals and replaced the two chambers with three separated by two washers with a 5mm hole through them. I wrapped three equal length curlers with packing foam and left it very effective.

My springer has a 31mm diameter MWSS silencer made by a member on TheAirgunForum who makes them out of a hard plastic called delrin and they equal the Weihrauch in performance for half the money, he has made hundreds now for members on that site with no bad comments at all. Matt makes them for any gun, mine was a grub screw fastened slip on type. Very effective at muting the sound down range, obviously the springer's internals can still be heard next to my ear though..!

The best silenced gun I ever heard (..?) was a Daystate with a shrouded barrel and a small silencer on the end. It was literally just the click of the hammer going off. I sat next to it on a club range and thought it was incredibly effective but what was left was an annoying 'ting' noise..!

david, my airwolf has a mk6 reflex on it and all I hear off that is a click or like you say ting,,but that's when it hits the target I,m aiming at,,

I,m very impressed with the Twink mk2 , it really is very quiet and I mean VERY QUIET , I was shocked it was quieter than the weihrauch as I,ve always highly rated them

Mine's quieter Evo, I don't hear it hitting the target!

But I have the same, air wolf with mk 6 reflex and find it very quiet. I did compare it using a couple of other mods a while ago and think it was quieter, can't really remember now!

Out of interest, is there much of a difference between the mk 6 and mk 5, or the mk6 and weihrauch?

Nathan

I have had Deben, weihrauch, Daystate MK5 and MK6 on various rifles over the years and I must admit weihrauch have always been the best for me for noise reduction in <12 ft/lb. Also I don't know why but they seem to be more effective on all the BSAs I have had????

On the Ultra I had all you heard really was the firing valve opening and the smack of a pellet hitting the target!

I have a short mk6 silencer and there is not any difference at all between that and the mk5,,the mk 6 XL which is the long one is very quiet on the wolverine b, but the wiehrauch silencer is better than the mk5 and 6 short mods

I use an HW which is super quiet but frankly it makes little difference in the field as the pellet will make more noise down range than the rifle.

I have to agree falcon to a certain point, but on some of my perms you can fire a shot at one and the others will run off, sometimes it will be from the sound of the pellet hitting the rabbit but surely if you cant hear it at 30yrds that must be an advantage on the little critters,

the one thing I have noticed with the Twink mk2 is once its fitted the only sound I can hear is coming from the action, same with the weihrauch but the Twink mk2 just edges it out at 30yrds,

the mk6 xl silencer on the wolverine really does supress the noise and have to say out of the daystate rifles it seems the quietest by far, the only problem being it wont fit some rifles due to its length which is a shame because they are slim and because they cover the shroud they only add 3 inches to the length of the rifle, one of the things which puts me off the weihrauch is once screwed onto your barrel the length gets silly, they are fine on a carbine as the barrel is shorter but on a standard length rifle it makes it a silly length

Put a weihrach on my s200 yesterday and I'm chuffed to bits with it. Really can't believe how good it is

they are superb paul, but if you ever get a chance to try the Twink mk2 out then give it a go,,you will be surprised just how good they are,

I have a few Weihrauch moderators - they are the benchmark which all the others are compared to, and rightly so.

I also have several made by a bloke called porkyyorky - I kid you not - on the UK Chinese Airgun Forum (UKCAF). They compare very favourably to the Weihrauchs, and come in at half the price. It's definitely worth registering on the forum just to be able to buy one. ;)

Daystate make reasonable - if totally overpriced - air rifles, but their moderators are not only expensive, they are simply naff. Still, there will always be somebody around who'll buy them. :rolleyes:

Evo, I use a Hugget and it's fantastic lots say how good it is! And I've recently seen a A&M show up a HW silencer which as you say has an excellent standard and reputation as a bench mark!

How ever i perceive it makes little if any difference to quarry between quiet and really quiet so I have stopped chasing the quest for silence so to speak ! It's the impact of the round/pellet on the quarry that seems to scare surrounding quarry most !

ATB

Matt

As Falcon FN said, the rabbits will hear the pellet down range (as well as the impact), but there may also be sounds generated at frequencies above our hearing range.

Think 'hear' bats, cats, silent dog whistles, ultrasonic mole scarers and others.

I can simply remove my hearing aid and things are so much quieter! Rabbits don't have relatively huge ears for nothing!

So, the issues of silencers, while good for the human ear, may not be designed too well at frequencies above our limited hearing range and their usefulness more limited than some may think.