mel 3b pellet pouch

fenboy

Mel was kind enough to send me a pellet pouch to trial the instructions were to use it and abuse it and make any suggestions for improvement and try to destroy it.

After receiving it , it was soon obvious that this pouch would last pretty much forever for its intended use , i told mel this but he still though I needed to destroy it .

Run it over he said so i did , three times in fact , there was barely a mark on it and the stud still worked fine.

Shoot it he said , so I did , with a 12 gauge from about 6 yards :lol:

After the test I would recommend if you are buying one of mel's wife's fantastic pouches to shoot it , then perhaps you could do with one more durable :whistling:

If you want it to put pellets in , you will get a great pouch at a bargain price that will most likely last a lifetime :good:

I never did find the strap after I shot it !

P1000310_zpsk2go9q4z.jpg

P1000311_zpsncmvsr9o.jpg

evening fenboy ,

thats a top job mate and exactly what i was looking for , i wanted to see just how much it would take , im glad that it stood up to the getting run over test as its one of the things that could possibly happen to it , i reckon a little bit of kevlar and it would be bullet proof lol.

thankyou for putting it through its paces mate , we wanted something that could be made specifically for the job and take a bit of stick in the field.

your new green replacement will be on the way in the morning , please feel free to report your thoughts on it mate.

thankyou again , mel :good:

evening fenboy ,

thats a top job mate and exactly what i was looking for , i wanted to see just how much it would take , im glad that it stood up to the getting run over test as its one of the things that could possibly happen to it , i reckon a little bit of kevlar and it would be bullet proof lol.

thankyou for putting it through its paces mate , we wanted something that could be made specifically for the job and take a bit of stick in the field.

your new green replacement will be on the way in the morning , please feel free to report your thoughts on it mate.

thankyou again , mel :good:

Thanks mel

Trouble is if you start making them in kevlar just think of the hardware I would need to buy to damage it :lol:

good god man , the poor thing has already been shot lol .

ill ask one of the other guys that are testing them to do it , would you prefer wheelspin or braking skid ? , itll be interesting to see just how tough they are :good:

Here's the album for all my industry standardised testing methods...

http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/chrisjpainter/library/Mel%20b3%20Pellet%20holder

now that my good man is the way to do a damned test ! , :good::good::good: , however , we now have to change the labels to say "do not liquidize more than twice".

i think those tests just about say it all really , the pouch that you tested was the mk I , the latest pouches have been made at double the strength , i would think that its safe to say that with normal use they should last for a lifetime.

thankyou again gents for putting them through their paces for us :good:

i cant wait to see what bob has in store lol.

to all the testers , your new pouches have been sent , they went in the post yesterday so you be with you from tuesday onwards , can you let me know when they arrive and feel free to post a brutally honest opinion of them on here.

however , please try not to , shoot them , run them over , liquidize them , boil them , feed them to any kind of animal , or hang from them lol.

cheers guys :good:

Here's the album for all my industry standardised testing methods...

http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/chrisjpainter/library/Mel%20b3%20Pellet%20holder

Looks like I have been outdone !

now that my good man is the way to do a damned test ! , :good::good::good: , however , we now have to change the labels to say "do not liquidize more than twice".

i think those tests just about say it all really , the pouch that you tested was the mk I , the latest pouches have been made at double the strength , i would think that its safe to say that with normal use they should last for a lifetime.

thankyou again gents for putting them through their paces for us :good:

i cant wait to see what bob has in store lol.

to all the testers , your new pouches have been sent , they went in the post yesterday so you be with you from tuesday onwards , can you let me know when they arrive and feel free to post a brutally honest opinion of them on here.

however , please try not to , shoot them , run them over , liquidize them , boil them , feed them to any kind of animal , or hang from them lol.

cheers guys :good:

Thanks Mel , I certainly will not shoot the new one , I need one now !

Well I received the pellet pouch from Mel and his good lady a week or so ago and very impressed I was with it too, even though it was just a sample test piece. I had chance to use it one weekend and it performed and functioned perfectly but Mel decided he wanted these pouches really putting through their paces.

I set about seeing how tough the pouch was by putting it under my foot and pulling and yanking on the thing with all my might and strength to try and tear it. By the time I was done it looked as good as new!!

Test two. I decided to do a tensile strength type test on the lanyard and hung the pouch by the lanyard from a hook and attached a 2KG weight plate to the pouch....unfortunately the lanyard snapped instantly before I could take any pics and progressively up the weight.

lanyard_zpshzf9fuwy.jpg

Surprised at how easy the lanyard snapped I began pulled at it and easily snapped it over and over by hand which I was quite surprised about.

lanyard2_zps6ph7guzo.jpg

Onto test three. On a gravel road I did a wheel-spin test with my car on the pouch as requested by Mel. I'm not sure how long of the 5 seconds of the wheel-spin it managed to stay under the wheel for but when I was done it was several feet away behind the car in a couple of pieces and shredded fairly well as can be seen in the pic below.

pouch_zpsa3yitwy1.jpg

The pouch really is tough and hard wearing , the lanyard on the other hand broke extremely easily and I can see it being an issue if you were wearing it around your neck and somehow the pouch got caught or snagged on something.

Well I received the pellet pouch from Mel and his good lady a week or so ago and very impressed I was with it too, even though it was just a sample test piece. I had chance to use it one weekend and it performed and functioned perfectly but Mel decided he wanted these pouches really putting through their paces.

I set about seeing how tough the pouch was by putting it under my foot and pulling and yanking on the thing with all my might and strength to try and tear it. By the time I was done it looked as good as new!!

Test two. I decided to do a tensile strength type test on the lanyard and hung the pouch by the lanyard from a hook and attached a 2KG weight plate to the pouch....unfortunately the lanyard snapped instantly before I could take any pics and progressively up the weight.

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=222995fb2f5d853eae24450b9415ca8a&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=309367&p=2797395&md5check=b0f98ca18841d838017cfeff56b9a793&isRte=1,l8PuqRhht8,true,false,3U90gIcTgWY'); //]]></script>lanyard_zpshzf9fuwy.jpg&&0

Surprised at how easy the lanyard snapped I began pulled at it and easily snapped it over and over by hand which I was quite surprised about.

lanyard2_zps6ph7guzo.jpg

Onto test three. On a gravel road I did a wheel-spin test with my car on the pouch as requested by Mel. I'm not sure how long of the 5 seconds of the wheel-spin it managed to stay under the wheel for but when I was done it was several feet away behind the car in a couple of pieces and shredded fairly well as can be seen in the pic below.

pouch_zpsa3yitwy1.jpg

The pouch really is tough and hard wearing , the lanyard on the other hand broke extremely easily and I can see it being an issue if you were wearing it around your neck and somehow the pouch got caught or snagged on something.

well that lanyard turned out to be really pants lol , funnily enough i didnt think that they would be strong enough so i tried to break a few of them , all of the ones that i tried to break , wouldnt , as a precaution the new lanyards were made much thicker and stronger (thats what the testing was for) , im really dissapointed that it didnt stand up to the wheelspin , im glad that it was the leather that tore and not the stitching though.

many thanks for taking the time and trouble to do the tests matt , your new and improved pouch should be with you over the next couple of days , please feel free to write a brutally honest opinion of it and go through the tests with the new one as well if you want , if it gets wrecked we will just make it even stronger and pop another one in the post to you :good:

I was really pleased with how the pouch functioned under normal use, undoubtedly it's a great bit of kit!

The tests we are doing to them are kind of on the extreme side! Ha ha.

The lanyard was a bit of a surprise to me too, I know the leather felt particularly soft so whether that had anything to do with it or not I don't know.

On all the tests I did I could not get the stitching to fail and now they're double stitched they should have no chance of failing in that department.

I can't wait to receive the new improved version!

To be honest, the lanyard may well be down to me, i was very keen to get stuck in and offered to help by cutting them, i may well have cut it too narrow or from the wrong part of the hide.

The tests are a little extreme lol, i just wanted to see just how strong they are and any problem areas sorted so that they should never fail in normal use, the new pouches should be bang on the money.

The breaking lanyard should be a selling point. 'Elf and safety would probably insist that the lanyard should break quickly if the person using the pouch had it hanging from their neck whilst climbing a tree after an elusive squirrel and lost his footing. Better to fall 20 feet and bounce than hang by the neck until dead....

The breaking lanyard should be a selling point. 'Elf and safety would probably insist that the lanyard should break quickly if the person using the pouch had it hanging from their neck whilst climbing a tree after an elusive squirrel and lost his footing. Better to fall 20 feet and bounce than hang by the neck until dead....

Good point, like all the NHS lanyards and things that open if so much force is applied. Might be a good idea to ensure that the lanyards do actually break if body weight or similar is put on them... But are still strong enough not to break if snagged?

Thats a very good point and may need a little research, the new lanyards are very much stronger so may need a weak link designing into them, i know that she has experience with this from when she was sewing airbags into the seats of aston martins, ill look into it and report back, cheers guys.

My pouch arrived from Mel today, absolutely delighted with it. Excellent quality and vastly under valued by Mel, but that is to the benefit of those of us who buy one.

Thanks Mel, really super quality.

Needless to say I won't be destruction testing mine, just using it happily.

My pouch arrived from Mel today, absolutely delighted with it. Excellent quality and vastly under valued by Mel, but that is to the benefit of those of us who buy one.

Thanks Mel, really super quality.

Needless to say I won't be destruction testing mine, just using it happily.

im very glad you like it , they are pretty good , i can take no credit though , its all down to lins leatherwork .

its really funny , they evolved in just over a week , the new ones make the first ones look and feel very primitive indeed.

dont forget that it comes with a lifetime guarantee so any problems will be taken care of :good: .