Bashing Squirrels with added zombies!

Zetter

Yesterday my mate finally convinced one of the local gamekeepers that now the season is over we can have a crack at the grays again.

So he set up from a high tower near several feeders and I decided after seeing a lot of activity by a particular feeder 100yards or so away to set up nearer this feeder.

One squirrel came out and I lined up at his head with my Daystate and squeezed off a shot which resulted in a clean miss. Mentally cursing myself for pulling the shot I waited for another to appear and sure enough one did, again lined up on the head another clean miss.

Now at this point I knew something was up as my Merlyn is a tack driver and hold zero well  hence I popped out a target at 35 yards and shot a group. As I thought the zero was out by about 1/2" to the left, a few clicks and I was back on again.

I settled back down by the tree and my misses of earlier hadnt put off the first fat little grey squirrel I missed the first time as he was back and was rewarded finally by a .22 air arms field through the head. After that I also got a second which I was pretty sure was the second squirrel I had missed due to my zeroing issues and then a third joined the bag.

Now this is where the Zombie bit comes in ( I hope Wabbit bosher is taking notes for future sales!) the third squirrel went down like a sack of spuds and didnt move, at this point my magazine was empty after the previous zeroing session so I decided to stretch my legs and wander back to where I had dumped by gun bag to reload.

After a leisurely stroll back down to the bag I was once again in position by the tree awaiting the next customer when I noticed squirrel number three twitching (bear in mind this was about ten minutes after I had shot it) so concerned it was still alive I put another shot into it and it was still again. Even through all this a fourth squirrel appeared and I sent him to  join his mates and figured that may be it for this session but though I would give it another 20 minutes or so. Then blow me number three started twitching again so I walked up to it and shot it again from point blank.

Now bear in mind number three after examination had been hit clean in the head the first time had also taken a second shot in the head from 30 yards and had not moved for a fair while from when the shots were taken I was wondering if it was delayed nerves or if Wabbitboshers tales of zombies stalking the home counties were in fact genuine? Gun was an FAC Daytate running at 24 ft/lb.

Anyhow a long post I know attached is the picture of the days tally modelled by my shooting buddy we ended up with eight in the end (although two fell in inaccessible place)

6dd86145-379c-4ae5-8fe5-6e38c08b5ee1.jpg

Cheers Zetter

Edited by Zetter

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Only just caught up with this thread resurrection  and put a bit of a lump in my throat to be honest as my good friend in the  picture passed away last year after a hard fought and brave battle with cancer.

I owed him one hell of a lot as he through knowing just about everyone locally got me a couple of my starter permissions and always looked forward to heading out in the countryside even if we didn't get anything.  when I head out after the bunnies now on my lonesome the permissions seem a bit empty without me having to wake him up when he dozed off under a tree in the summer waiting for the rabbits to come out.

Rest easy Frank still miss you like hell mate.

Edited by Zetter