eley firsts

Its looking like ill be taking over pigeon dutys over 800-900 acres of land and with new work patterns, its meaning i can get out 3-4 times a week.

Because of the amount of carts ill hopefully be getting through i need to get cheaper carts.

Anyone use the firsts for pigeon decoying?

Express do a pigeon load which sells for £182/1000 up here. 29gram, FIBRE wad, 6 shot. If you are only going to be shooting over decoys to a range of around 30 yards, try Hull superfast FIBRE, 27 gram 7 1/2's at around £170/1000. I have used a lot of Eley firsts which were supplied at a ground where I was an Instructor, I was less than impressed with them and through an auto can be troublesome.

I think i might just do a couple of hours overtime a week and that would pay the difference so i could carry on using clear pigeon!

Don't let others put you off, there is nothing wrong with shooting Eley firsts, or any other 7.5 shell for that matter, on pigeons. They will kill well enough.

As Fenboy said, though, you may not have the need for too many cartridges if you are going to shoot that small a piece of ground so regularly.

I meant i will have the chance to get out 3-4 times a week not actually out shooting that frequently, but i will have more time for reconasinse and observing so rather than going in cold on a saturday morning i might be able to get better days when ive got the gun out.

I meant i will have the chance to get out 3-4 times a week not actually out shooting that frequently, but i will have more time for reconasinse and observing so rather than going in cold on a saturday morning i might be able to get better days when ive got the gun out.

That makes more sense .

900 acres sounds a lot but its not enough to guarantee good results consistently , also much depends on what those acres are made up of crop wise.

I'm not entirely easy with the 7.5 (biggest Eley First) as a general Pigeon cart, certainly fine at times but I would favour a 6, possibly even a 5 in some circumstances.

Nothing wrong specifically with Firsts, although I have had the odd one that didn't want to play, and they do tend to be rather dirty, a bit like firing a confetti cannon at times!

:good:

my mate bought 250 of them and never hit any thing,i bought the last 50 off him and hitting well with them.i will buy the again.

I dont think the cartridge has anything at all to with you mate not being able to hit anything with them.

Yes, and I have found them to be a perfectly acceptable cartridge, 28g fibre 7.5. My go to pigeon cartridge now at £40 for 250.

Its looking like ill be taking over pigeon dutys over 800-900 acres of land and with new work patterns, its meaning i can get out 3-4 times a week.

Because of the amount of carts ill hopefully be getting through i need to get cheaper carts.

Anyone use the firsts for pigeon decoying?

Personally I dont like these at all, the only only time I shoot them is about once a year and thats when I have robbed them off my farther when I join him on the clays. He only ever buys fibre wad eley firsts and is happy with them but I dont like them !

For me on pigeons I would look for the cheapest size 6 shot I could find.

I would put the extra in and spend the money on the Gamebore`s.

ATB

Matt

I have used the 7.5 Eley Firsts and found they were ok for close shots over decoys , but time after time they would not bring down pigeons cleanly at 40 yards. Most birds just left a cloud of feathers and flew on.

And before anyone suggests they were well over 40 yards for the last decade I have been working part time for a wind farm builder doing bird surveys and after years of using a range finder to plot the hight of birds flying over the proposed wind farm site you get a very good idea of range.

Edited by anser2