Woodpigeon Recipes

henry d

Al Fresco Cooking Demo with Pigeon, with Dutch Chef Dennis Van Golberdinge - Wednesday 26th October, 1900 - 2100, @ No.7 Cooking Academy, Welwyn Village, AL6 9EE. Evening Includes Pigeon preparation, and different dishes, enjoy as meal afterwards, Ticket price includes a Beer or Glass of wine, soft drinks. Tickets price £25 purchase by PayPal info@no-7.co.uk. 20 places available. See you there.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

PIGEON SO SIMPLE.....

SPICY PIGEON KABAB,

WHAT YO NEED,

THI 7 SPICE (£2 AT TESCO ASDA ETC)

RUNNY HUNNY.

PREP,

1,BREAST PIGEON- CLEAN AND PAT DRY.

2, SCORE THE PIGEON BREAST WITH A SHARP KNIFE ( SCORE DEEP )

3, SPRINKLE AND RUB IN THE THI SEVERN SPICE ( REALY GOOD SEASON- DONT BE SCARED )

4, DRIZZLE WITH OLIVE OIL AND RUB IN

5, LITTLE OIL IN FRY PAN AND HEAT PAN OVER MEADIUM HEAT.

6, ADD BREAST AND COOK FOR TWO MINUTES

7, TURN BREAST AND COOK FOR 1 MINUTES

8, DRIZLE OVER A GOOD DOLOP OF HUNNY AND TOSS BREAST AROUND FOR ANOTHER MINUTE

9, REMOVE AND REST A MINUTE OR TWO

THIS IS SO SIMPLE AND ITS WHAT I COOK FOR FREINDS WHEN IM CONVERTING THEM TO GAME, THEY NOW GO MAD FOR IT!

WICH IS A PAIN IN THE BUM NOW :lol: GIVE IT A GO.... FAST FOOD TO DIE FOR!

• 3 months later...

Northumberland Pigeon Pie

Ingredients

8 oz of shortcrust pastry

Two plump pigeons

¼ lb bacon

¼ lb mushrooms

1 onion

½ pint stock

1 oz butter

salt and pepper

Tablespoon of flour

A pinch of gravy salt

Method

Place the pigeons in a pan, cover with a pint of water, season with salt and pepper and simmer for an hour and a half. Save water. Place pigeons in pie dish.

Slice onion and mushrooms, cut up bacon and fry them together in the butter.

Add them to the pigeon in the pie dish.

If you are using meat of the pigeon only, use ½ a pint of the water that the pigeons were cooked in to make the stock by adding a chicken stock cube, then thicken with tablespoon of flour, add a pinch gravy salt, to colour and pour over the pigeons.

(If you have cooked the pigeons complete with bones, simply miss out the stock cube, strain, and use ½ a pint of the liquid as your stock).

Add stock to the pigeons. Cover with pastry, pop a couple of slits in the top, brush with egg mixed with milk and bake the pie for thirty minutes at, gas 6, 400°F, 200°C. or until crust is brown.

• 5 months later...

i did some pigeon and sausage rolls once

half and half pigeon mixed with sausage meat use your favorite sausages

fry pigeon in butter and shallots ,then mince

cut skins off sausages and add the sausage meat and mix together with the shallots and pigeon ,let cool

home made suet pastry , flour and half the weight of lard or butter and a small drop of water until a nice crumbly dough ,cool in fridge for 20 min ,

roll the pastry into a long 1 foot x 3 to 4 inch strips ,

roll the meat filling into a long sausage and place on pastry ,

bit of egg wash on one edge and roll into a long sausage roll,

then egg was the top and cut into 1.5 inch lengths ,

cook for 20min until golden brown

i took these to are AGM meeting to go with the buffet and loads of people said iam not eating sky rats ,funny they only lasted a few minutes

once into them they polished the lot ,i made 80! lol

• 3 months later...

Ages ago I placed a thread in the Recipies for Pigeon sausages take a peek. I did Tandoori pigeon sausages etc and they were all fab.

Today I made Thai Noodles with a Thai pigeon curry :good:

noodles ingredients

1 pack of egg noodles

Sugar snap or petit pois peas

spring onions

2cm bit of ginger

1 red pepper

1 leek

1 medium carrot

bean sprouts

Curry ingredients

4 pigeon breasts

1 lime

coconut milk 300ml

1 clove of garlic

1 stalk of lemon grass cut into 4 length ways

chilli's deseeded and finely chopped (add to taste)

1/4 tsp of tumeric

1/4 tsp coriander

1/8 tsp star anice (ground)

1/4 tsp cumin

1/8 tsp cinnamon

1 tbs olive oil

Curry prep

Place oil in a sauce pan and bring up to heat.

add garlic and chilli's and cook for 60 seconds

Drop the Pigeon breast into the pan and cook with the chilli and garlic till the meat seals and browns

Squeeze in the juice from half a lime (KEEP THE LIME SKIN)

then add the spices and cook for 30 seconds

and drop in the lemon grass

add the coconut milk

lower heat and simmer for 20 mins. While your curry in simmering make a start on your noodles.

prep for noodles

bring a pan of water to the boil and place noodles in the pan. Lower heat to simmer for 4 mins strain noodles and rinse with hot water place to one side.

Clean and slice spring onions

peel and slice ginger thinly

deseed pepper and slice into strips

clean and thinly slice leek greens (disguard the white or use in another recipie)

peel carrot then shave with peeler

wash bean sprouts/

Bring wok to heat with oil smoking

add ginger peas and carrots and stir quickly for 45 second

add peppers and stir for 1 minute

add leek and onions and stir for a further 25 seconds

Add the skin from the lime

add noodles and heat through until vegetables start to lose their firmness (you want them al dente.

Remember to remove the lime skin before you serve it up.

To serve dish your noodles onto a plate and top with the curry

Fab :good:

Have just made this but with a few changes (added a small amount of soy and fish sauce to the curry) and it was delicious :good:

ewqQPvLJ.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this fantastic recipe henry d! I went for my first ever pigeon shoot with Pigeonblasterian last weekend, and we managed a modest bag of pigeons. I tried your recipe, and attach a photo of my version. It was DELICIOUS!!! ATB, Mike.

post-62540-0-53388300-1362164232_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

You can Jerk any meat but it may not taste great..... some of my South African friends have jerked Pigeon and it tasted great - had a really fresh tasting rub on it - almost lemony - didn't keep well though so not one for long storage.

• 2 months later...

Excellent Recipe I seen on the TV years ago.

You need.

Over ripe Peaches 10

Pigeon Breasts

Garlic

Unsmoked bacon

1 Bottle of really good red wine French.

Salt and Pepper.

Cut the Peaches in 1/4 inch thick slices, As big and wide cloves of garlic you can get and cut length ways in thin slices. Cut a slot in the thick end of the pigeon breast and insert a slice of garlic.Wrap up each breast in bacon until completely covered. Layer a casserole dish or oven pot with peaches then a layer of pigeons,another layer of peaches, another layer of pigeons and a final layer of peaches.Pour over the red wine until completely covered add salt and pepper. Cook in the oven at 200c for 2 1/2hrs. Strain the sauce from the dish into a saucepan add a tablespoon of brown french mustard reheat and thicken. Throw away the peaches.Serve with Mash and veg of your choice.

4 Breasts and sauce per person as it is very rich. Any sauce left over keep for the next night as it goes excellent with a steak or Venison.

Cheers Bill

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My first post, I came across this forum yesterday and am very happy to have found it.

Spatchcock wood pigeon with bitterleaf, orange and walnut salad

Serves 4

100ml orange juice
5 tbsp (75ml) olive oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 sprig of thyme
A good pinch of ground cinnamon
A good pinch of ground allspice
4 wood pigeons, washed and dried, backbones removed and breasts flattened
50g walnuts

2 large oranges, peeled and segmented
1 red onion, finely diced
½ tbsp wine or cider vinegar
2 heads of chicory, sliced in half lengthways and then sliced into lengths
A small bunch of chives, chopped
Salt and black pepper

1 In a flat dish that will fit the birds snugly, mix the orange juice, 1 tbsp of oil, the garlic, thyme, spices and salt and pepper. Immerse the birds and marinate for at least an hour, turning occasionally.

2 Set the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4. While it heats up, toast the walnuts on an oven tray. When they have a little colour, tip them on to a chopping board, wipe the oven tray, and return it to the oven to get hot, ready for the pigeon.

3 Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large heavy-based frying pan over a medium heat. Add the pigeons, skin-side down. The pigeons should be evenly flattened to create a flat piece made up of two breasts and two legs.

4 Fry for 2 minutes, then turn and cook for another 2 minutes. Lift out of the pan and put on the hot oven tray, breast side up, to roast for 8 minutes.

5 Add the marinade to the pan. Reduce until slightly thickened and set aside.

6 For the salad, toss the oranges and onion in a bowl with the vinegar, salt and pepper. Roughly chop the walnuts, add the chicory, chives and remaining oil and mix. Season to taste.

7 Remove the pigeons from the oven to a warm plate, pour over the marinade and set in a warm place for 5 minutes.

8 Pile the salad on to the plates, cut the pigeons in half along the breastbone and arrange on top with a spoonful of sauce. Serve with good bread for the juices.

• 2 months later...

Marinated woodpigeon with soya sauce

3 breasts

Chopped red onion

Crushed garlic clove

Bay leaf

Spoon of olive oil

Dried rosemary. (Pinch)

Black pepper

Dark soya sauce. ( 2 spoons full )

Put all ingredients into a sandwich bag leave in fridge 4hours . Add spoon of olive oil to frying pan add all ingredients fry for 6 mins each side leave to rest 3 mins enjoy .with crusty bread glass of wine .

• 1 year later...

I recently done the following salad as a starter with Woodie breasts.

Ingredients for 2 people:

Rocket and mixed leave salad

4 breasts (skinned)

3 slices of smoked bacon

2 slices of black pudding (I use McLeod's of Stornoway)

balsamic vinegar

good quality virgin olive oil

Method:

Place the washed salad leaves on the plate and set aside.

Pan fry the smoked bacon and black pudding in a pan, cook the bacon until it is really crispy and remove from the heat. Cook the black pudding to your liking and set aside somewhere warm.

Season the pigeon breasts with salt and pepper, I use a knob of butter in a hot cast iron frying pan to pan fry the breasts, only cooking for 1-2mins each side. Once cooked set aside somewhere warm to rest.

Cut up your crispy bacon and sprinkle it evenly over your salad leaves.

Break up the black pudding and sprinkle over the salad leaves evenly.

Drop a few spots (hardly any) of balsamic over the salad leaves.

Slice your now rested breasts, they should be nice and rare. and place on top of your assembled salad.

Drizzle a small amount of really good olive oil over the full dish.

Enjoy with a really good glass of Rioja or Montepulciano :yes::yes::yes:

pigeon%20salad_zpsqau5alza.jpg

• 3 years later...

Pigeon Tagine for three to four people.. who asked me to do it again soon so I wasn't the only one who enjoyed it! 

4 pigeon
3 onions
4 cloves garlic
3 carrots, chopped
A few Mushrooms
15 Dried apricots 
Can of cider
Some Streaky bacon

Two teaspoons ground cumin
One teaspoon ground cinnamon
Two teaspoons ground coriander 
Two teaspoons hot paprika 

Sweat quartered onions, sliced garlic, carrots and mushrooms in a dash of olive oil in large stockpot.
Halve about 15 dried apricots and add to the pot.
Take breasts of four pigeon and slice into 1cm thick slices before adding to the pot with the streaky bits from ten rashers of back bacon, or three rashers of streaky bacon.

Stir fry for a few minutes and add the spices. 
Slowly add cider to nearly cover the mix and bring to the boil. Once the pot is boiling, reduce heat and cover. Raise the pot off the gas flame by using a trivet and simmer very gently on lowest heat for 1.5 hours or longer. Stir periodically. About 15 minutes before serving remove the lid and raise the heat to reduce the liquid.

Serve on bed of rice, we had mashed sweet potato on the side. Flatbread would go well too.
Bon appetit!