how far in front of the bird ?

Daz Harrison

as an an ole boy said to me...."if you aim behind the bird you will miss it everytime......aim in front of it and you stand a chance of hitting it.........how far in front comes with time and practice...and how many boxes of cartridges you can afford "

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as an an ole boy said to me...."if you aim behind the bird you will miss it everytime......aim in front of it and you stand a chance of hitting it.........how far in front comes with time and practice...and how many boxes of cartridges you can afford "

As Ditchman quotes always aim in front. I like JDog am no expert at what to do. I must admit I do not always use the bead I just shoot where it will be and it works. I apologise for repeating this info but when you were a kid and throwing snowballs at you mate running away, how much lead did you give then ??? It's in your brain what lead to give and when you hit a bird try to remember the shot and what you did , after a time you will build a mental image of the lead to give automatically it just takes time . That's my opinion on it anyway.

i learnt using my favourite catapult................christ i did some damage with that......i used to look for special round pebbles on the fields after they had been stubble burning....they were lightly crased where the heat had affected them....then when you "fired" at sparrows on the road the pebbles used to shatter when they hit the road surface near the birds.................

• 2 weeks later...

That is a almost impossible question to answer, depends on speed and angle and distance of the bird

Also everyone sees lead differently , instead of wasting shots go a have a lesson or two .

The wasted shots could also be down to shooting at birds that are too far away , how many shots per bird are you averaging ?

+1 Have a chat with Bakerboy.....top man, he put me right!

Guest stevo

I can remember my grandad telling . ( this was when i was a kid )

An average pigeon travelling at average fighting speed at 40 yrds need a farmers gate worth of lead . Which in todays money is 8ft . Thats with a average speed shell .even today its still pretty much on the money .

• 4 weeks later...

IF WE KNEW THAT ANSWER WE WOULD NEVER MISS;;;;;;;

I have been shooting for 40 years , an sometimes I cant work it out ?

Just keep trying it will come to you.. or you could take a few clay shooting lesson to give you a feel for the movement and swing of the gun

Mostly it's the old rule of "butt, belly, beak, bang"

If the bird is coming towards you, soon as you blot out its beak and body, then bang, of its going away then put its belly and beak on the top of the rib and bang.

If it's crossing left to right, right to left, or directly overhead, then general it's a birds length in front, except for very far and very fast birds which might need a double bird length lead.

Nothing beats practice, and practice makes perfect.

Also remember, you usually have lots more time available to shoot a bird than you actually take, so slow down, mount the gun correctly, swing correctly, and you should improve your kill to cartridge ratio.

Edited by Redditch

Mostly it's the old rule of "butt, belly, beak, bang"

If the bird is coming towards you, soon as you blot out its beak and body, then bang, of its going away then put its belly and beak on the top of the rib and bang.

If it's crossing left to right, right to left, or directly overhead, then general it's a birds length in front, except for very far and very fast birds which might need a double bird length lead.

Nothing beats practice, and practice makes perfect.

Also remember, you usually have lots more time available to shoot a bird than you actually take, so slow down, mount the gun correctly, swing correctly, and you should improve your kill to cartridge ratio.

I'm not sure i'd agree with that. I would say some birds would require 10x (or more) the lead you have stated.

How much lead comes with experience and that can be gained by smashing a few thousand clays, its all about timing, how long will it take for the shot to reach the bird, how far will the bird have flown in that time. You will build up a mental image of where and when but it takes a good amount of practice.

• 1 month later...

A prime example that taught me about lead was when a big flock flew quite high overhead. I picked one up, tracked it, passed in front - what I thought was ample lead - pulled the trigger, and the bird behind it (probably by two or three pigeon lengths) dropped out of the sky. If it feels like it's enough lead, it probably isn't (in my case - we're all different!) I know someone else who gives too much lead, so you never know..

It's not an easy one to answer as it comes with experience. I started out using the adage "slow bird, slow swing; fast bird, fast swing" and tracking from behind, but that's not a great way to lock onto a fast moving bird which'll be out of range if high or at a reasonable distance. Practising on clays, I was surprised at just how much lead a pigeon really needs. A fast bird at 30 yards crossing left to right I reckon needs 4 to 6 feet (with the wind) or about 4 feet on a still day. It feels all wrong and not intuitive until you realise you're hitting them every time! A bird going directly overhead I give about a few feet of lead, so follow the bird, pull through and pull the trigger whilst maintaining swing. Again, doesn't feel intuitive but works for me. Birds going away I balance on the bead and drop so that there's a slight bit of daylight before pulling the trigger. That seems to work for me too, but distance and wind conditions will alter all of these lead points so you have to get a feel for it.

Tell you what if what your doing ain't working then stop doing it!

If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you always got

My wild guess from the question as posed is your shooting infront

Try shooting the beak and work forwards till you get it

Of course if you don't know we're your pattern prints you could be giving correct lead and shooting over the top

Yeah a lesson might be in order here

ive had two lessons, first one i hit everything, 2nd lesson was told i'd picked up bad habbits in a short time :/ i do think i also need to get my eyes tested.

many thanks, your all top blokes :)

Daz

Come and have a round of skeet at Orston tomorrow I will give you some tips look for me I have no legs and have a mobility scooter

I agree with Kent, in the respect, my gun shoots low and coupled with the fact I have been shooting rifles more than shotgun i felt I was missing below all the time. I find it difficult to blank out the bird without overthinking the shot regardless of lead. So I fitted a comb raiser and now don't need to even think, I just do what I do automatically and it has increased my average greatly and given me more confidence.

As has been said, I tend to give a pigeon length in front for crossers generally and increase as needed and I am still working on that problem but I am not getting frustrated any more, well not every time out anyway.

I am a very long way from being proficient but not constantly missing below has given me the confidence to make further improvements with lead and swing etc.