how far in front of the bird ?

Daz Harrison

some of the pigeon i missed made me think i was firing blanks :P im going to keep at it and keep bothering you lot :D

cheers

Daz

I`ve had that feeling too :D

Fortunately today was much better. Started off with a few misses, although at least 1 of the birds was pricked. We then moved position and between us took 3 pigeons and 5 corvids, with me accounting for 4 or 5 of the birds. Used my old Miroku rather than the pump and I definitely reckon the more open chokes helped, as did shooting from a standing position. I don`t have an exact count of the shots fired but it was probably around 20. Still not great but a definite improvement and probably around half a dozen of the shots I was pushing it on range.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even the expert shots on this forum, some of whom can shoot 10/10 would have missed some of the pigeons I shot at today in windy conditions.

I am not the man to give you advice about your shooting but I would encourage you to know what pigeons at 30m and 40m look like.

As others have said - learn your distances.

Let the pigeons come in and shoot them just as they just about to land and almost stopped in mid-air. This also give you confidence that your decoy pattern is working well.

Shoot a few like this and then start a bit earlier - as they are committing themselves to land.

Give them a little of lead in front and keep the gun swinging. Do not take your eye off the bird and check where the bead is - you will miss.

Gradually build up the speed they are coming in and adjust the lead accordingly - you will then be able to shoot them earlier with more confidence.

Don't just sit there taking rangey pot-shots hoping you will eventually hit something :no:

I can only add to what others have said, but what may help in the interim is to SWING through the bird. Don't 'track' slowly, but swing through with smooth speed like you would backhanded tennis stroke. Your instincts will pull the trigger just at the right time.

The only birds I don't swing through are those quartering away, and with those I shoot as I do bolting rabbits; just track them and then PUUUUUUSH gently through before firing.

Daz - it's obviously true what everybody says about lessons, but also I think you should just generally get plenty of practice in on clays. I know some people say that it's not the same, and obviously it's not exactly the same. But there's plenty of others (Digweed, for instance), who'll tell you the basic disciplines ARE essentially the same; and clays is an excellent training for game/pigeons. The point is that it's practice, of which you can be certain of getting a lot if you can spare the time and money; and during which it's easier to concentrate on learning the basics of shotgun shooting than out in the field.

I would say as well as lessons, go and shoot lots of sporting and/or skeet clays, as often and as many as you can, till you can consistently hit significantly more than you miss; then go back to pigeons, and I think you'll do a lot better.

Daz - it's obviously true what everybody says about lessons, but also I think you should just generally get plenty of practice in on clays. I know some people say that it's not the same, and obviously it's not exactly the same. But there's plenty of others (Digweed, for instance), who'll tell you the basic disciplines ARE essentially the same; and clays is an excellent training for game/pigeons. The point is that it's practice, of which you can be certain of getting a lot if you can spare the time and money; and during which it's easier to concentrate on learning the basics of shotgun shooting than out in the field.

I would say as well as lessons, go and shoot lots of sporting and/or skeet clays, as often and as many as you can, till you can consistently hit significantly more than you miss; then go back to pigeons, and I think you'll do a lot better.

:good: will do, my friend is going to be taking me out more now he has more time also :)

I have been shooting 45 years never shot clays and I couldn't tell you how much lead I give, mates have asked me to stand by them and tell them whether they are missing above/below or behind/in front and I haven't got a clue. I point my gun towards a bird pull the trigger and it falls out of the sky(most of the time)

I have been shooting 45 years never shot clays and I couldn't tell you how much lead I give, mates have asked me to stand by them and tell them whether they are missing above/below or behind/in front and I haven't got a clue. I point my gun towards a bird pull the trigger and it falls out of the sky(most of the time)

I'm not saying you have to shoot clays to shoot game, of course not. Just that if, like the OP, when you point your gun towards a bird, 9 times out of ten you miss, maybe you could use some practise on something easier to organise in hundreds than pigeons.

I am also a relative newbie to shooting and only having the one lesson to correct the terribly inconsistency with my shooting (eye dominance and have changed to the left shoulder). I have just got out there and done as much as possible.

Patterning gun helps as if your gun doesn't fit and you can't afford one that does at least you know where to shoot it to compensate for the incorrect fit.

Although now owning three guns I try and stick with one gun (for now) as each gun will fit and pattern differently and so you will have to constantly adjust. Sticking with one helps shot consistency, allows you to adjust to that gun and then should help build confidence.

I have shot appallingly in the past(177 shot for 17 birds) but slowly with the above advise and practice I am slowly bettering my average. (last time out 25 shots to 17 birds).

It'd be boring if we were all 100% shots 100% of the time. Gotta give the pigeons a sporting chance!!!

P.S. As well as the "stick to the one gun" it helps to stick the the same cartridge for everything (clays or birds) again its about consistency and building confidence.

Edited by jeffjjack

I am also a relative newbie to shooting and only having the one lesson to correct the terribly inconsistency with my shooting (eye dominance and have changed to the left shoulder). I have just got out there and done as much as possible.

Patterning gun helps as if your gun doesn't fit and you can't afford one that does at least you know where to shoot it to compensate for the incorrect fit.

Although now owning three guns I try and stick with one gun (for now) as each gun will fit and pattern differently and so you will have to constantly adjust. Sticking with one helps shot consistency, allows you to adjust to that gun and then should help build confidence.

I have shot appallingly in the past(177 shot for 17 birds) but slowly with the above advise and practice I am slowly bettering my average. (last time out 25 shots to 17 birds).

It'd be boring if we were all 100% shots 100% of the time. Gotta give the pigeons a sporting chance!!!

P.S. As well as the "stick to the one gun" it helps to stick the the same cartridge for everything (clays or birds) again its about consistency and building confidence.

Without wanting to offend you 17 from 177 shots shows why people should start shooting and become reasonably competent on clays before moving onto live quarry , though it is different the fundimental basics are the same.

Without wanting to offend you 17 from 177 shots shows why people should start shooting and become reasonably competent on clays before moving onto live quarry , though it is different the fundimental basics are the same.

I danced around not saying that earlier in the thread, for fear of seeming rude, but I agree. I think you should be a reasonably competent shot (nothing special, but at least hit more than you miss) before you shoot live quarry.

If your vehicle engine kept cutting out every 3 miles or so, would you get it sorted or keep on driving it in the hope that it would get better by itself ? I suggest that you would seek professional assistance and have it sorted. So why keep on shooting with such poor averages without seeking some help ?

I danced around not saying that earlier in the thread, for fear of seeming rude, but I agree. I think you should be a reasonably competent shot (nothing special, but at least hit more than you miss) before you shoot live quarry.

I must confess to being more than a little surprised at how little shooting experience the OP and 1 or 2 other posters in the thread have. It doesn`t surprise me that some are having difficulty hitting much. I`m a novice shooter, I`ve only been at it for about 18 months but I`ve put several thousand rounds through my guns on the clay grounds. I`m far from brilliant but as said I usually hit more than I miss. Compared to clays, pigeons and crows seem huge targets but I`ve been amazed at just how tricky they can be to hit.

I don`t think you, or anyone else, could be considered rude for suggesting that acquiring some experience with clays would be a good idea. I don`t necessarily think lessons are required but attending a few clay grounds or doing a straw bailer once a week would certainly be money well spent.

There is no doubt the more you go pigeon shooting the better you get at it , you start to build up pictures of what lead certain birds need , but for me you need to think about how many you ***** / injure while you are gaining those skills , most poor shooting is down to mount / fit or eye dominance problems , all of which can be fixed away from the field .

You then have the basics in place to start shooting live quarry , yes there is a marked difference between a clay and pigeon shooting but once you have those basics in place it is a much easier thing to master.