how far in front of the bird ?

Daz Harrison

In my experience its not so much the amount of lead (unless its 40 plus yards out) but THE SPEED OF THE SWING. Get those barrels moving FAST, swipe through the target and pull, the natural barrel speed will take care of any lead needed.

If swinging at the same speed as the target then a pheasant will want two bird lengths at normal ranges in normal winds, however if I try this I seem to stop the swing and a miss behind results.

Fast swing is far easier and more natural.

A

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to do the old pull through from behind and take your chance and fire,

After a lesson from Ben Husthwaite and quite some practise I now shoot the same shot every time, I don't see lead or bring the gun up behind, the gun has two speeds once moving, sort of like below

Exactly half way

View Point-------------------------------------------------------Pick up point-----------------------------------------------Kill Point

where you see first see the bird one speed tracking flight pulling away quicker on firing

A good lesson or two will work wonders as some of you may and are by the sound of it combining shooting styles, and losing track of what is best on each target, or using the same style every time.

Chiefy

I used to do the old pull through from behind and take your chance and fire,

After a lesson from Ben Husthwaite and quite some practise I now shoot the same shot every time, I don't see lead or bring the gun up behind, the gun has two speeds once moving, sort of like below

Exactly half way

View Point-------------------------------------------------------Pick up point-----------------------------------------------Kill Point

where you see first see the bird one speed tracking flight pulling away quicker on firing

A good lesson or two will work wonders as some of you may and are by the sound of it combining shooting styles, and losing track of what is best on each target, or using the same style every time.

Chiefy

Surely using different styles is the best way to shoot pigeons.

Surely using different styles is the best way to shoot pigeons.

I would agree depending on how the bird presents and depending on type of bird I use either follow through, pull away, maintained lead or point and shoot (as I would call it) for low straight incoming birds. Also agree with comments about barrels moving fast and would add keep them moving I try and visualise painting a line in front for a couple of seconds after firing. There is a youtube video that covers these quite well and the guy on there reckons a good bird shooter should have all of these methods up his sleeve.

I would say the minute one thinks "how much lead have I got" and tries to visually measure etc is the minute the shot goes wrong as the barrels will slow down or even stop.

Cheify I read your picture as maintained lead method (move - mount - shoot) the speeding up upon firing is where I visualise the painting out the line. BTW did you have many lessons from BH were they expensive? Would quite fancy a lesson or 5 from some of these top shots!!

PS when I say low incoming birds I am talking decoying pigeons

Edited by Andra

The only way to find out is to shoot. For ease I would suggest a clay ground. If unsure get a couple of lessons as well. Tbey are not expensive considering what you will benifit.

Then get out there and bag some pigeons. If only missing was the issue and not field craft.

Or spend loads on shells and miss very one with no idea what you're doing wrong . Simple. (Or is it)