decommissioning a shotgun

30-6

A friend has an old s/s sidelock on his cert which he wants to give to his uncle to hang on the wall as it's been in the family since new. He's been quoted over £200 to have it decommissioned commercialy, is there any legal way he could do it himself ?

It has on there a name of H C Little & Son, Yeovil. I googled it but could not find anything.

Does anyone know the name ?

Not a DIY job as far as I know, Think it has to be done in accordance with rules and regulations and verified by a proof house?

Also the legality of removing it from ticket?

Feel sure a PM to Welshwizzard will clear this up?

Edited by old man

Hi. Yes you can do it yourself,just look up the specs on the net,then take it to your local RFD to have it removed from your licence and they will send it to the proof house to be checked and a certificate of deactation issued,

I did my 357 under lever last year,it cost me £14 each way for P+P and a tenner in my RFDs pocket for the paperwork,so £38 all told also did a .410 the year before for a similar amount..

The hardest part was using the angle grinder on the gun I've looked after for ten years and then the welder.

Cheers. Vulture

Hi. Yes you can do it yourself,just look up the specs on the net,then take it to your local RFD to have it removed from your licence and they will send it to the proof house to be checked and a certificate of deactation issued,

I did my 357 under lever last year,it cost me £14 each way for P+P and a tenner in my RFDs pocket for the paperwork,so £38 all told also did a .410 the year before for a similar amount..

The hardest part was using the angle grinder on the gun I've looked after for ten years and then the welder.

Cheers. Vulture

+1

It's amazing how many people still think that deactivation work has to be done by an RFD/engineering firm.

Some people have a lot more money than sense.

+1

It's amazing how many people still think that deactivation work has to be done by an RFD/engineering firm.

Some people have a lot more money than sense.

True but you do need a certificate if you want to sell the gun. I had one done by the local RFD for £100 including the certificate, double that seems OTT.

True but you do need a certificate if you want to sell the gun. I had one done by the local RFD for £100 including the certificate, double that seems OTT.

Yip, £200 is very OTT

Anyone lucky enough to live near one of the two proof houses could also take care of that part of the process themselves too...

Aside from the OP's particular issue, I've sold deactivated guns without certificates in the past...as they'd been lost by previous owners.

The guns did not suddenly become illegal through lack of certificates

Back on track though - I wonder when the OP's gun was last checked over? If it's out of proof it may be an easier exercise to have it taken off SGC

Many thanks for all the input.

A bit more info.

It is a 12g hammer sxs sidelock with about 30" barrels, under the stock is a little metal insert (in the shape of a shield) but has no engraving in it. The lock for the for end is loose and the barrels badly pitted around this area. It can be remembered being last fired in the 50/60's at pigeon attacking the brussels sprouts.

In its day I bet it was quite an elegant and much prized gun.

The answers are perfectly correct, insofar as there is no reason why an owner cannot undertake the work to the Home Office de-ac spec, and submit it to Birmingham or London for a de-ac certificate.

Costs are about as suggested if you DIY, proof house charges and return P&P from them amount to around £45 for a single gun, but there are savings if several are submitted together.

Downside is, the Proof House is very strict about the work, and if the DIY work is not up to scratch they will reject the gun for De-ac, and that means it is still as far as the law is concerned it is still a Sectioned gun and can only be returned ia an RFD, entailing further expense. Then the gun will need whatever extra work the Proof House requires, and re-submission with all the fees being paid a second time.

Going rate to De-ac a gun is about £100 plus transport costs, and giving it out to some-one who knows their stuff should ensure first time De-ac pass, and also that the work is not crude and nasty, some of the cutting and welding etc is pretty skilled if you want the gun to not look like its been smashed to bits in the process of machining and welding.

I'm with demonwolf444 on this-although the gun is most likely a mass produced Birmingham built gun it still has some worth-there are few problems that cannot be fixed with time and money. I would get the barrels measured to see if they would stand fine boring and go from there.

• 4 years later...