Ear defenders for kids.

mossberg-operator

It seems only the electronic ear defenders stop sounds above 80dB.

I have been looking for some for the grandchildren to take them clay shooting and have not found any as yet specifically designed for children. The only ones for children seem to be the cheaper non electronic ones that don't reduce noise as well.

Either the kids ones would have to be combined with an in ear plug to get high enough protection or you would have to take children to a supplier and try some electronic ones on to see which had enough adjustment in the headband to fit a child.

Guest Mick.j

Those ones I had in my mind. However -this is the part I'm not sure- they have an 27Db SNR rating. So, if a gun on your shoulder producing 135Db -27= that is still above 100Db, which is more than 85Db, recommended. Or, am I missing something? So are they good for shooting?

You could always use the foam earplugs as well as muffs

I have seen loads of kids at various shoots with these on, although that doesn't vouch for their effectiveness either.

If concerned I would suggest doubling up with foam plugs too, but they are not so good in small ears as the ear canal is very narrow so difficult to get the plug seated well.

Edited by grrclark

Shotguns are around 140dB or more. Unless Hushpower.

Found this article which is interesting:

How much noise is too much?

85 Decibels (dB) -the "Action Level" where hearing protection is required.

90 dB -the OSHA, 8 hour average exposure limit.

100 dB -exposures longer than 15 minutes are not recommended.

110 dB -regular exposure of more than 1 minute risks permanent hearing loss.

What Are Hearing Protectors? How Effective Are They? Hearing protection devices decrease the intensity of sound that reaches the eardrum. They come in two forms: earplugs and earmuffs. Earplugs are small inserts that fit into the outer ear canal, To be effective they must totally block the ear canal with an airtight seal. They are available in a variety of shapes and sizes to fit individual ear canals and can be custom made. For people who have trouble keeping them in their ear, they can be fitted to a headband. Earmuffs fit over the entire outer ear to form an air seal so the entire circumference of the ear canal is blocked, and they are held in place by an adjustable band. Earmuffs will not seal around eyeglasses or long hair, and the adjustable headband tension must he sufficient to hold earmuffs firmly around the ear. Earplugs must be snugly sealed so the entire circumference of the ear canal is blocked. An improperly fitted, dirty or worn-out plug may not seal and can irritate the ear canal. Properly fitted earplugs or muffs reduce noise 15 to 30 dB. The better earplugs and muffs are approximately equal in sound reduction, although earplugs are better for low frequency noise and earmuffs for high frequency noise. Simultaneous use of earplugs and muffs usually adds 10 to 15 dB more protection than either used alone. Combined use should be considered when noise exceeds 105 dB.

You could always use the foam earplugs as well as muffs

This is what I used to do with my own kids and any others I took to young shots days.

The only problem with expanding plugs is your hands need to be very clean before inserting a plug into a childs ear (or any ear for that matter) which isn't always possible when out in the field.

This is what I used to do with my own kids and any others I took to young shots days.

The only problem with expanding plugs is your hands need to be very clean before inserting a plug into a childs ear (or any ear for that matter) which isn't always possible when out in the field.

That's what small packs of wet wipes are for. :)