How sad is this

Bluebarrels

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/photos/under-24x7-armed-guard-last-surviving-male-white-rhino/ss-AAb52cs?ocid=SMSDHP

I was fortunate enough to visit this old chap a few years back whilst in Kenya,its good to see him still around but for how much longer :/ what a sorry exsistence for a fine specimen

its sad...i lived in Nanyuki and that game reserve was just up the road from us..at first i thought he was in Lewa

I suppose it is sad, a damning indictment of how human beings can screw up nature.

Not much point in us preaching to the Africans about it though is there? After all, we have such a great track record of preserving our own animals don't we? Bears, beavers, wolves, great bustards. Bird species close to extinction, poaching in many forms, introduction of foreign species that do more harm than good?

I wonder how many white rhinos were shot by white hunters years ago for sport? Just to put a head on a wall?

Sad that animals are slaughtered just for their horn or ivory

I agree but no worse than trophy hunting. If you want an insight into hunting, read "Green Hills of Africa" by Ernest Hemingway. Shooting big game for trophies, not for food or to get money to support a family, just to kill and put a head on a wall. Appalling shooting standards as well. Gutshot and wounded animals were the norm, "potting" at running prey was commonplace.