BASC - Landowners - Shooting

markbivvy

In the post you refer to I was answering a point that Mark had raised, that BASC was only creating courses due to police demand. This is not the case.

dave,i dont remember saying that if i did what i should have said was the big demand for courses is because some issuing authorities are insisting on them.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK fair enough, maybe I misunderstood what you meant to say, sorry I did not mean to put words in your mouth mate.

But the only course that I know of that the police have mentioned in relation to FAC is DMQ level 1. Having such a qualification satisfies the 'good reason' part of the application in many cases as opposed to just saying 'I want to take up stalking'

There are no qualifications that I know of in relation to vermin shooting, fox shooting, or any other form of live quarry shooting that the police ever make reference to - but if you know different guys let me know and I can investigate.

Please aslo remember that BASC does not run the DMQ course- we are an assessment centre.

John,

Please will you tell me via PM or e-mail which police authority you hade the issue with? If of course you would like me to inveastigate and report back.

David

I have been through this thread and tried to select posts to move into a separate "BASC Training Courses" thread.

However, most of the posts contain elements of all parts of this discussion and it could all end up looking like a dogs dinner.

So please start a new thread if you want to discuss BASC courses/Police requirements etc. :)

If you can identify any of your own posts you want moving into that thread (use the post number), please advise me.

Hate to say this guys, but just because David works for BASC, don't you think you're publicly berating him somewhat.

If this was any other member on here, Cranners or one of the other Mods would have closed this down by now.

Take it easy, if you have a concern about something in particular then I suggest you PM him rather than trying to twist words that he has written. David has given his time and views to come on here and try to impart BASC's stance with regards to various things and I for one am grateful. Just becuase we don't all agree on it or with it for that matter doesn't mean to say we should publicly abuse him.

As I previously stated, I hated BASC with a passion right up until 2-3 months ago, but now see them in a different light altogether. The advice I have been given, hasn't always been what I wanted to hear, but given the unequivical evidence backed answers, information and statements, not to mention the time given up, I have total respect for them at the moment, after all it is only a job, albeit an important one on behalf of us Countrymen everywhere.

SS :)

In post 120 at the bottom of page 8, I posted;

"Its also fair that we all recognise that David represents the BASC here and no comments are aimed at him personally. "

In fairness, there has been some criticism of the BASC, but not of David personally.

You are right that we would not permit that to happen.

Dear All,

Thank you for all the comments- somtimes when we are posting on issues that we have strong feelings about we can get 'personal'

BUT.........

When all is said and done we are all on the same side..arn't we?

We are all big boys - and as such must accept that we should be happy to discuss the issues in a frank way and not hold back.. but not to attack each other.

I am affraid that you may not always like the answers you hear to the questions you ask of me - but I will only tell you the truth to the best of my ability. Unfortunately I am not very good a politics - I say it as I see it without spin and without B*****t.

Anyway,

I think this thread has well and truly run its course - I told you about my project- you gave me your feedback, and I have made the changes to both the presentations and the adverts to stress the need for farmers to keep open free pest control oportunities.

Howerver, I stick to my guns when I say in both presentations and in adverts that shooters should be insured - and frankly no farmer or other land owner should let anyone shoot on thier land if the shooter is not insured.

I would aslo urge you, where ever possible- to formalise your agreements so as to protect your shooting rights- I know there are objections - but believe me it is the way forward.

Anyway, as I say I think this thread has run its course- other topics have come up, not least of all that of courses and testing- but I see that so far no one has wanted to start a new thread on this.

So unless there is anyhting more to add in relation to landowners and shooting rights I think we should draw a line under this one and move on - agreed?

Ta

D