Budget chainsaw recommendation

harpoonlouis

Used to per-mix all our fuel, often using some old Moto-x oil that I had laying around.

But as above, lack of use on some of our machine such as the Auger meant problems.

Now, although expensive I only use the Stihl premix and have not had any problems- so far but at €28 it's not cheap.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use aspen is 18 pound for 5 liters so at 3.60 a liter its expensive but is sits in the big saws the ms661 and the 084 as they don't see action every day as there is not all ways the need for 30 inch plus bars. Performance wise it's the same as petrol 2 stroke mix but do seem to get and extra few minutes out of a tank. Oh and soon as you put this in there is no going back as it reacts to standard petrol it makes the fuel lines perish and get holes I them

Looks like the choice for me, from my local agricultural stores is a Husqvarna 135 for £199 or a Stihl MS181 for £265, both 14 inch.

Or a Stihl MS171 for £175

Make sure you ask their best price/ I have literally this morning bought an MS 181 from Ernest Does at Wymondham, Norwich. Ticket price was £290, I asked do you price match as this is for sale for 240 at Lawn Boy, Downham Market (I showed him the internet website on my phone), he went away and came back saying he could do it for 230 and chucked in a file and stihl oil.

Keep an eye out on here as I only have a hedge to trim down and 6 small trees and then ill probably put the saw up for sale.

I asked for feedback on the MS171 as saw how cheap it was, but he showed me it and said it is more of a pruning tool than a saw and wouldn't last too long cutting down larger things. You could feel the difference between that and the MS 181.

Edited by djrwood

As I only use my saws occasionally and I want them to start straight away I only use aspen.

The biggest cause of small engines failing to start is residue in the carb from old fuel. Yes it is expensive but I use a couple of gallons each year. I only go logging for myself so it still works out cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've secured one, not yet paid for or collected.

Stihl 038 AV in bits but complete as a non runner, not believed to be a seized engine £50.

The guy had 3 auctions running, 038 Magnum running out first, missed that as it went for £70. Then an 038 Super also went for close to £70 so missed that. Got this one for the opening bid it's local as well.

I've done my research and this seems to be an old old model but held in very high regard.

Should be a good little project.

038 was a good saw, plenty of grunt. what about spares though? do stihl still make parts?

There's certainly loads of non original parts for it, I guess that might defeat the object of buying a stihl haha!

Slight issue in that he couldn't find the handle and brake, so I suggested sending a few quid back which he has as well as a nearly new bar. It's in quite a lot of bits though, gonna have to find a parts diagram to work out what goes where and if anything else is missing.