Diet

Neilwoody

hi pigeon watch members..

I'm just looking for any tips on vitamins or oils that I could add to my springer spaniels diet daily.hes four years old and he really struggles with bowel movement! If he has treats or dog bones etc other than his own food..I'm just looking to give his coat a boost as he's other wise fit,happy,and healthy.

Thanks

Neil

I give mine cod liver oil. I buy it in the large containers for horses from the farm supplies. I give mine it off a spoon or you could mix a desert spoonful in his meal. Good for joints and a glossy coat.
Also mine get raw carrots and cabbage offcuts. Today they were eating swede chunks as I was soup making. Great for extra roughage.

Also ours are on Skinners Duck and Rice. Ad Lib.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

I am just in the process of changing my dogs food over to Kronch basic complete food. It has comes highly recommended to me. It contains a lot of oily fish so is high in omega 3 and 6 which should be good for joints and their coats. Early days yet but I will see how they are in a month or so.

We put our dogs onto a complete food called Eden. Bowls never seem to be upset now due to no rice or wheat and the dandruff stopped too. We also feed them sardines or mackerel 2-3 times a week with the biscuits for glossy coat. When we got our puppy he was on wainwright but hungry all the time. On Eden he has half as much but doesn't get hungry because it's 80% meat so actually works out cheaper then wainright.

Fair enough, in a very posh "complete food" like that, junk is too strong a word, in that it's not full of nasty fillers and chemicals like most "complete foods". But if you want examples of things in that food that dogs don't actually need in their diet, then thyme, marjoram, oregano, parsley and sage spring to mind. It's just anthropomorphic marketing. As is that whole list which is basically a list of tasty ingredients that humans like and which are good for humans. There's no way it is natural for dogs to have 15.5% potato and sweet potato in their diet, or 30% fish, or chickpeas, camomile, rose hip etc etc. That's a fashionable modern diet for a health conscious human. There's no credible independent science behind it at all. Just billions of dollars of marketing.

Eden is good stuff, kronch is poor food and expensive

Kronch is certainly cheaper than Eden, as for quality it has some very good reviews. Eden does look very good and the meat content is high. I will see how mine get on with Kronch and look at Eden if I want a change.

I thought all the herbs and fruit were antioxidants,potato and sweet potato is added for carbohydrate and fibre as far as I am aware.

I only put a link in for Eden because it had been mentioned, there are plenty of others to choose from of similar calibre, here's one I found that is cheaper than Kronch.

http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0341/markus-muehle-naturnah

Here is a breakdown of kronch,

http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0837/kronch-basic

It would be interesting to know how many top trailers who are sponsored by cheap dog food companies actually feed them the stuff they promote because some of it is very poor quality

Edited by gazbev

I use chapel farm have tried all their offerings and my dogs get on well with it .... They do one that has salmon oil in it, link below.

http://www.chapelfarmdogfood.co.uk/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=3:chapel-farm-performance-24&Itemid=72

Also I give my dogs sardines straight out of the tin with the oil once or twice a week. Sometimes a bit of olive oil in the dry food too.

I give some treats of raw carrot although I am not convinced dogs digest veg and fruit etc like humans mostly it fires out of the other end in a recocognisable form.

Edited by Andra

A dog doesn't yearn for a varied diet just like a goldfish in a bowl doesn't yearn for the sea. My dogs get eukanuba puppy then tripe and biscuit as adults. That's it. And I have NEVER ONCE had a dog hesitate at meal times. No wonder so many dogs are "funny eaters" when "Giles gives our baby cocker Pak Choi twice a week and essence of fish eyes every third Tuesday".!

You are right cocker boy, I have a spaniel now and he has never not eaten what I put down, if he did, it would be taken away till the next day, I use a complete food but I have fed tripe in the past.

These food questions always start a debate because people dont like to be told they are feeding rubbish, some people feed their dog to a budget and automatically think that the more they spend the better food they are getting.

One of the foods mentioned above is half the price of a decent quality food with 45 percent real meat (not from animal derivatives) but you have to feed twice as much so it works out the same, the difference is it is better for your dog and half the poop and won't cost you any more money.

Dogs live on protein and fat, the quality of these is important to dogs health and performance, the dogs enthusiasm to eat it is no measure of its quality, ( mine will wolf down horse poop!)

It pays to do research or look on an independent review website even if it's just to get more for your money and no be ripped off.

Edited by gazbev

That's 14% meat?

Did not spot that checked one of my bags it says 24% must be a typo on their site the other varieties seem to be listed ok.... btw I am in no way connected with this company and I do use other brands at times some good and some not so.

As you say in latest post spending more does not mean better I used to get stuff from a guy who had his own branded stuff had his company name on bag etc apparently it was re-badged eukanuba, only had the one dog then and he got on well with that from puppy to adult. It was pretty cheap too.

After reading about the kronch salmon oil I had a quick squizz on google etc and found some 2.5L scottish Salmon oil that I am going to try :good: either one sounds like a good thing for the OP to try too.

Edited by Andra