Fogs or doxes

dob

Is it pheasablly possible for a fox and a dog to mate. I am guessing the answer is no but why,I have often wondered if anyone has ever raised a fox cub and trained it to retrieve pheasants.that would turn a few heads.

Perhaps I am losing the plot but heyho.

Is it pheasablly possible for a fox and a dog to mate. I am guessing the answer is no but why,I have often wondered if anyone has ever raised a fox cub and trained it to retrieve pheasants.that would turn a few heads.

Yes you are :lol:

I know of a chap that was in to his fox hunting and a member of a small foot pack.

One day they bolted a vixen from its den, the dogs did what they do and on inspecting the carcass found she was in milk.

The team then dug out the den and found a single fox cub, now a orphan. He picked it up, wrapped it in his coat and took it home with him. He bottle fed it for a while until it could manage solids (mainly rabbit).

It ran in the garden with his other dogs until it was big enough to survive on its own.

He released it on a local golf course, who were overrun with rabbits and with the help of a local the fox survived. As far as I'm aware the fox lived very happy.

So it is possible for dogs and foxes to live and play together, but will they mate? I wouldn't have a clue

Extract from Wik

When the differences in number and arrangement of chromosomes is too great, hybridization becomes less and less likely. The wolf, dingo, dog, coyote, and golden jackal diverged relatively recently, around three to four million years ago, and all have 78 chromosomes arranged in 39 pairs.[6] This allows them to hybridize freely (barring size or behavioral constraints) and produce fertile offspring. The side-striped jackal and black-backed jackal both have 74 chromosomes.[7] Other members of the Canidae family, which diverged seven to ten million years ago, are less closely related to and cannot hybridize with the wolf-like canids;[6] the red fox has 34 metacentric chromosomes and from 0 to 8 small B chromosomes,[8] the raccoon dog has 42 chromosomes, the fennec fox has 64 chromosomes. The African wild dog, however, still has the same number, 78 chromosomes, as do the wolf-like canids but it has yet to hybridize with any of them.[9]

You have too much time on your hands :lol:

I know of a chap that was in to his fox hunting and a member of a small foot pack.

One day they bolted a vixen from its den, the dogs did what they do and on inspecting the carcass found she was in milk.

The team then dug out the den and found a single fox cub, now a orphan. He picked it up, wrapped it in his coat and took it home with him. He bottle fed it for a while until it could manage solids (mainly rabbit).

It ran in the garden with his other dogs until it was big enough to survive on its own.

He released it on a local golf course, who were overrun with rabbits and with the help of a local the fox survived. As far as I'm aware the fox lived very happy.

So it is possible for dogs and foxes to live and play together, but will they mate? I wouldn't have a clue

If you're thinking of GJ it was two cubs, and his boarder terrier was having a phantom pregnancy and took the Cubs on!

My uncle was a head keeper on a remote scottish estate and his under keeper got a cub and reared it and kept her on a chain to a wire running the lenght of the garden , when she was in season the dog foxes would come down off the hill to get to her and he just shot them out the window . But a fellow keeper called in one day and his terriers killed her . Seen a few more keeper get a cub and rear them but they never settle down and ended up being given to wildlife parks

My uncle was a head keeper on a remote scottish estate and his under keeper got a cub and reared it and kept her on a chain to a wire running the lenght of the garden , when she was in season the dog foxes would come down off the hill to get to her and he just shot them out the window . But a fellow keeper called in one day and his terriers killed her . Seen a few more keeper get a cub and rear them but they never settle down and ended up being given to wildlife parks

Yeah the two that GJ had were no more than a week old, but despite being reared by the terrier and handled by his kids on an almost daily basis they became more and more wild

Guest Mick.j

Bloke i knew many years ago reared a fox from a cub. Followed him everywhere. One day while out on a walk it just 'took off'. Never seen again. Wild animal - its in the genes.

There was a chap years ago who had a pet Fox that he used for retrieving, there is film footage of it somewere.

Also there is a Farm around the midlands area selling Pet Fox's for £200 each. Not sure if its "GooFarm" I will let you do a search for it chaps