A warning to all Section 2 pump and semi-auto shotgun owners

Oxfordshooter

On ‎02‎/‎05‎/‎2015 at 10:11, srspower said:

Lots of semi autos, and particularly those chambered for 3.5" shells, can fit an extra round up the pipe. Sure if you can fit several you should take it back but if you can 'just' fit an extra round that is normal. It has been proofed as section 2 so it's not an issue.

I have just brought an SXP and I can hold 3 in the mag, I was starting to worry.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Denboy said:

I have just brought an SXP and I can hold 3 in the mag, I was starting to worry.

What 3 can you fit in the mag? 

Is it 70mm or 65? You may fit 3 65mm carts in but the gun might struggle to fire them. 

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

It's like seeing an old friend again!

Always nice to reminisce 

I came across this on numerous occasions when working . Biggest problem we had was that if the gun was given to us , as an RFD , on a shotgun cert and we found it was a section one we under law could not return it to the owner as we would be breaking the law . The Police especially North Yorks were rather stupid about this and in a couple of cases could simply have issued a variation to a man who held both FAC and SGC, But they did not with out going through the hoops of a full grant . 

This was their fault entirely as the firearms officer should have check the gun as the owner had held it long before mag restrictions came into force . 

The other point is that if the importer changes a mag tube for a factory restricted replacement  fitted correctly to Home Office specs then I would assume , as other importers have , that this would be considered as "supplied " and would not need proof . Only if they had the existing mag tube crimped would in need to be submitted . 

7 hours ago, klatuveradanikto said:

I have a Auto 5 and a BPS, I'll check when I get home later. But it's just not something you think about when buying a section 2 you just accept it will only be capable of holding 2 in the mag tube. Will report back. 

Checked this evening all ok both section 2 mag tubes 

19 hours ago, Scully said:

Can’t say it’s anything I’ve ever tried with any mag’ fed shotgun I’ve owned. I’d keep schtum if I had. 

Just love your honesty Scully👍 I have to admit, I was having those thoughts whilst reading this.

Just tried putting three 70mm's in my Maxus, but it won't have it😪

13 minutes ago, KB1 said:

Just love your honesty Scully👍 I have to admit, I was having those thoughts whilst reading this.

Just tried putting three 70mm's in my Maxus, but it won't have it😪

🙂 I have a S1 Mossi which holds eight in the mag’, but it’s never occurred to me to try nine!  I might now! 😀

It’s a stupid piece of legislation anyhow, totally illogical, like much in firearms legislation. 

6 minutes ago, Scully said:

🙂 I have a S1 Mossi which holds eight in the mag’, but it’s never occurred to me to try nine!  I might now! 😀

It’s a stupid piece of legislation anyhow, totally illogical, like much in firearms legislation. 

Now you've put that out there, if there's ever a need for conscripts in Afghanistan or such like, they'll be knocking on your door👍

I think we`ve been here before with this one. It is my understanding that the Home Office advice, which contains a serious outbreak of common sense for once - not least since the 3.5" chambered gun had been on sale for years before anyone realised this, is that although capable of holding more than 2 cartridges an offence should be considered only if the gun is ACTUALLY loaded with more than 2 cartridges. So, as long as you don`t put more than 2 up the mag tube you and your 3.5" chambered gun are not committing any offence.

from the home office guidance

When assessing the magazine capacity of a firearm, consideration should be given to
the number of cartridges that the firearm was designed or proofed to take. For example,
where a shotgun has a magazine which is capable of holding three cartridges but was
designed to hold only two, the shotgun should be considered a section 2 firearm rather
than a section 1 firearm.

1 hour ago, KB1 said:

Now you've put that out there, if there's ever a need for conscripts in Afghanistan or such like, they'll be knocking on your door👍

🙂They can knock all they want, I won’t be going. 🙂

57 minutes ago, mudpatten said:

I think we`ve been here before with this one. It is my understanding that the Home Office advice, which contains a serious outbreak of common sense for once - not least since the 3.5" chambered gun had been on sale for years before anyone realised this, is that although capable of holding more than 2 cartridges an offence should be considered only if the gun is ACTUALLY loaded with more than 2 cartridges. So, as long as you don`t put more than 2 up the mag tube you and your 3.5" chambered gun are not committing any offence.

Have to admit, that is a serious outbreak of common sense.

On 30/04/2015 at 21:14, bornfree said:

What about 3.5" autos which hold 3 +1 65mm cartridges. How do you stand legally?

The proof requirements are that the magazine is crimped for the chamber size... in your case not to allow more than 2 3.5" cartridges in the magazine. The fact it holds 3 2.5" cartridges is up to you whether you wish to put them up there. A policeman might have something to say like 3 in the magazine is sec. 1 but it is crimped legally for that chamber/cartridge.  Don't know if anyone has been caught out yet. 

On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 13:07, Lloyd90 said:

What 3 can you fit in the mag? 

Is it 70mm or 65? You may fit 3 65mm carts in but the gun might struggle to fire them. 

Always nice to reminisce 

Not quite, but nearly

On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 11:33, Denboy said:

Reword to it can nearly hold 3

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2015 at 21:18, bruno22rf said:

speaking to a dealer the other day-a well known courier arrived at his shop after he had closed. Finding the door locked and the lights off the driver left the package round the side of the premises and left. Following day the owner turns up and finds the package......nice 12G sbs

Something similar happened to me about 40 years ago when I bought my first revolver. I bought it mail order which was pretty normal back then because some dealers were doing discount deals and came home from work one day to find it sitting on my doorstep waiting for me.

The thing was, because I went to work on my bike, most days I would have let myself in the back door and wouldn't have seen it even when I got home.

Back to the OP, I have heard stories of semis having a bit of wood stuffed in the mag to reduce the capacity. When the law changed a lot were converted in a bit of a rush I suppose. 

Edited by Vince Green

A few years back a mate purchased a section 2 Remington 1100 it had the crimp and proof mark on the magazine tube.

When he went to clean in one night He took the spring retainer out and a wood plug fell out He thought nothing of it and threw the plug away as it had a visible crimp and proof marks.

Wasn't until He took it out shooting pigeons with me that he noticed it took 4 then 5.Luckly I had a spare slot so it went straight to hes RFD to be put on my fac we couldn’t figure out what happen only explanation being the crimp wasn’t deep enough.

Edited by Green hornet

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2015 at 21:14, bornfree said:

What about 3.5" autos which hold 3 +1 65mm cartridges. How do you stand legally?

Something that has gone through my mind as well in the past!

...and where did this come from after 3.5 years?

Edited by Dekers