Rifle choice in .22lr and .17hmr

Outdoorsman

Dekers, what do you clean/shine your rifle and stock with?

The plastic stock on my HMR (actually all my plastic stock rifles) only ever tend to get a wipe over with a cloth and warm water. Even though they have got dirty/muddy/wet/whatever over the years I have seldom found the need for anything more! They have never had any form of polish applied.

The visible metalwork gets a wipe over with Legia, the workings/barrel interior get an assortment of solvents. Primarily internally Hoppes no 9 and/or 303, then a smear of Express gun oil.

I have found these to work and I'm somewhat reluctant to change. There are a number of newer solvents available, and I suspect some of the newer ones are just as good or even better.

Cheers v8 , im sure i read a review for one of the many choices and one was free floating and bedded straight out of the boxCheers v8 , im sure i read a review for one of the many choices and one was free floating and bedded straight out of the box

Possibly the Premium model may be bedded but I'm not sure - in general they're built for everyday vermin control & so aren't bedded to keep costs down - with the trigger worked they are a very accurate rifle ;)

Just out of intrest again is the cz floated and bedded as standard?

I'm not aware that any are bedded, and as for free floating, there is a suggestion that some of the wooden stocks are.

I suspect many will have to check and do a little fettling just the same, my WMR American was meant to be, it is now but it took a little work.

post-20848-0-26634000-1430723667_thumb.jpg

Annie every time! Beautiful triggers, and top build quality. Also consider an older Sako Finnfire.

The question was....... which rifle to get in either cal for best accuracy,.........

I am somewhat surprised you seem to rate the Anschutz so much more accurate? :hmm::hmm:

I would appreciate you quantifying the difference in accuracy from your experience!

As ever, it's each to his own. When looking at an HMR I tried a mate's CZ and my experience was that I found the trigger difficult in that I couldn't squeeze it but had to pull it and as a consequence pulled the shots. Didn't like it at all - grouping 2"+ at 100 yards. Bought the Anschutz and easily MoA. However, although in pristine condition it was second hand. Had it been new, I would have got the same trigger as the LR and it cost a bit to get one. Now both the HMR and LR are adjusted to the same pressure and the HMR is now sub MoA.

Mind you, I do plead age as a mitigating factor here. But am I not right in understanding that there is a roaring trade in replacement CZ triggers? Why is that?

As ever, it's each to his own. When looking at an HMR I tried a mate's CZ and my experience was that I found the trigger difficult in that I couldn't squeeze it but had to pull it and as a consequence pulled the shots. Didn't like it at all - grouping 2"+ at 100 yards. Bought the Anschutz and easily MoA. However, although in pristine condition it was second hand. Had it been new, I would have got the same trigger as the LR and it cost a bit to get one. Now both the HMR and LR are adjusted to the same pressure and the HMR is now sub MoA.

Mind you, I do plead age as a mitigating factor here. But am I not right in understanding that there is a roaring trade in replacement CZ triggers? Why is that?

Nope, spring/tube sets about £10-15, not triggers.

For some reason more commonly needed on the 452 HMR/WMR than the .22lr, no idea about the new CZ variants. A purpose built trigger replacement is now available for some models I understand from Edgar Bros., Complete replacement triggers have been available for a while but the uptake was minimal.

My .22lr Silhouette is original trigger and absolutely fine for field work, I have fitted the spring kit to my CZ WMR and HMR, mine both came direct from Eric Brooks with a landed price of under £10 for the whole kit.

:good: