any butchers/cooks

islandgun

Brisket needs super slow cooking and kept moist. It needs cutting across the grain too otherwise it is stringy.

I wouldn't choose to use diced brisket as a pie filling, if it is still whole when you get it then shred it instead before putting it in the pie.

if it's been well hung 3-4 weeks it should be fine just cook a little slower the pie's i make i cook meat on the hob for 1.5 hours i have used brisket and cooked it for 2-21/4 hours before putting in pie not had any complaints yet,

be sure it brisket and not flank as that's a different cut altogether

colin

stewing and rump 2 completely different cut's,

you will get away with rump straight into pastry but not stewing i would guess they are giving you something other than stewing,

another good cut is skirt

colin

A nicely cut skirt is a joy to behold, most lads prefer this to a slab of belly.

stewing and rump 2 completely different cut's,

you will get away with rump straight into pastry but not stewing i would guess they are giving you something other than stewing,

another good cut is skirt

colin

I reckon its rump as its sometimes described as rump on his bill (despite us asking for stewing), we often fry up a steak for our tea and jolly good it is :) I will ask for some skirt, my ignorance is down to that, this is a fairly new departure for us as our main income is from seafood, cheers IG

+1 for shin , moist , course and full of flavour , also cheap

I asked my butcher for some he was so pleased somebody knew what it is and wanted to cook with it he didn't want to charge me,

so I bought him a drink . what a gentleman

if your butcher was so pleased that one of his customers knew what shin is he must get some strange customers as a very large proportion of our customers know what it is and how to cook it as it's not a rare cut it very common

colin

• 2 weeks later...

Really good done in a slow cooker overnight. I use shin a cheaper cut than brisket, full of flavour just like brisket.

Since all of these televised cooking programs promoted the cheaper cuts of meat, I have found that the like of Shin and Skirt have rocketed in price. I also USED to use Salmon trimmings. They were great for fishcakes. Ppace in cold water and bring to the boil. Just as they reach the boil, take them off the heat. Remove them while hot and flake the flesh off. Now Morrisons stopped selling them. I used to get a huge pack for about £1.

I often find cheaper cuts at butchers, stew them and make pies, or mince them for sausages. Sometimes Morrisons meat counter have some reduced price bargains. Last week I got a boneless leg joint for £3. About £9 normally. Lamb is fine to go a few days over the UBD. Same as beef. I often find the older it gets, the tastier.

I also USED to use Salmon trimmings.

If you buy from a proper fishmonger get the salmon head. Chop the nose off and cook just like you describe, it is very good.

I used to work in a fishmongers, over 30 years ago. Such a shame there are so few around now.

• 3 months later...