Is This True

WelshAndy

No I'm not easily upset at all, and if you think you have upset me then I'm afraid you will be disappointed. I'm just a realist, who knows that if we don't stand together then shooting will be next. I have been shooting, fishing and everything else since I was big enough to hold a 410, and worked in the countryside all my working life, so feel fairly qualified to stick up for how it actually is, now how others have tried to portray it is for their own agenda.

Your last post incited to me was fuelled with anger.And you have a shotgun licence. I stand by my other posts, I have an opinion too this Is mine. No need for name calling. "This means I upset you". Calm down dear It ok !.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha I was crying in my coffee! I hope you have the same chipper outlook when we are all handing our guns over to be cut up, just the same as when hunts were closing the door on the kennel for the last time

Crying In your coffee !!.gun cut up. A bit off topic now must be Irish, coffee you are drinking. But anyway get to anger management soon.I wish you all the best I really do.

well boys this debate will go on forever all its doing is splitting the ranks,if some pw,s could only accept that we all do things that others don't agree with,i once got asked to sign a petition to ban hand guns,i refused not because I have them but in support of the people that did use them,likewise I don't go with the hounds never have an never will,but I would vote to repeal it if I could,the recent handgun petition that was running I think only got 20.000 votes so why aren,t other shooters supporting it,its because they don't do it,so why support it,we,ll all go down the pan one day with this attitude.

Edited by hawkfanz

The Labour government spent seven hundred precious parliamentary hours discussing the hunting act, yes seven hundred!.....they spent seven hours discussing going to war in Iraq...........on those figures it's fair to conclude the banning of hunting was a hundred times more important to the Labour government than sending our troups into Iraq to get killed........why? Animal welfare? Don't make me laugh! spite, left wing class hatred, and delivering on the demands of their animal protectionist donors is more like it!

Edited by panoma1

I do find it interesting that many people think we should all close ranks and support overturning the ban on fox hunting because it is a field sport, even though many don't themselves hunt. Yes we should support field sports, but not blindly and without a wider perspective - after all who would support the return of badger baiting, bull pits and the Victorian pastime of shooting anything that moved? By blindly supporting something that an overwhelming proportion of society, including many shooters, do not believe has a place in today's society we run the risk of further alienating 'us' from 'them' and associating all other field sports with the 'barbaric' label. Some people will also see shooting and fishing as barbaric, but I believe the vast majority of the population, given the facts, will see it very differently - unlike fox hunting.

It's a case of choosing you battles, and I've said it before, the popularity and support of the horses and hounds has never been greater since the ban so be careful what you wish for.

For the record, I'm ambivalent towards the subject, I always watched the hunt as a kid but never took part, I felt the time and effort to ban it was an ideological one first and foremost, but on the whole I wouldn't welcome a repeal.

I do find it interesting that many people think we should all close ranks and support overturning the ban on fox hunting because it is a field sport, even though many don't themselves hunt. Yes we should support field sports, but not blindly and without a wider perspective - after all who would support the return of badger baiting, bull pits and the Victorian pastime of shooting anything that moved? By blindly supporting something that an overwhelming proportion of society, including many shooters, do not believe has a place in today's society we run the risk of further alienating 'us' from 'them' and associating all other field sports with the 'barbaric' label. Some people will also see shooting and fishing as barbaric, but I believe the vast majority of the population, given the facts, will see it very differently - unlike fox hunting.

It's a case of choosing you battles, and I've said it before, the popularity and support of the horses and hounds has never been greater since the ban so be careful what you wish for.

For the record, I'm ambivalent towards the subject, I always watched the hunt as a kid but never took part, I felt the time and effort to ban it was an ideological one first and foremost, but on the whole I wouldn't welcome a repeal.

I genuinely do not believe an "overwhelming proportion of society" think hunting should be banned! I believe it is unfounded, deliberately and cynically misleading propaganda spouted by the antis, I believe there are very many who are not bothered one way or the other, there are a lot of people who have no problem with it, there are some that are passionately against it, and there are many that don't know what they are talking about but blindly accept that it is cruel because a fox occasionally dies! And the protectionists say it is!

I also believe that some people are gullible and readily fall victim to the "if you say it enough it becomes true" brigade.

This view is purely mine and not directed at anyone in particular.

I'm with you and totally understand and agree with the logic of not supporting something just because it is a field sport.

The ban on hand guns for instance in my opinion is a good thing. And this is coming from some one who when in America took great please in firing them at the range. Even tho I enjoyed it I am still happy I live in a country without them available to anyone that can satisfy an feo. I would hate to call America my home where everyone has access. One school shooting is too many and I wouldn't want it here. Let alone the numerous accidental deaths before you even start to look at the deliberate acts.

It's all personal choice and just because I like to shoot doesn't mean I have to support every other country pursuit or form of hunting.

That said as others have already said, I still wouldn't actively go out to get these things banned. Just because I don't agree with I don't feel the need to stop everyone else doing it!

I've never been fox hunting in my life, however it falls under the umbrella of country pursuits or field sports, and by my reckoning antis or causal observers see shooting, fishing, fox hunting etc as all the same, everyone involved should really show a bit of solidarity. If you don't agree with it fair enough, however loudly condemning it WILL eventually jeopardise your own strand of fields sport whether it be game shooting, clay pigeon shooting (through a ban on private gun ownership) etc

I'm with you and totally understand and agree with the logic of not supporting something just because it is a field sport.

The ban on hand guns for instance in my opinion is a good thing. And this is coming from some one who when in America took great please in firing them at the range. Even tho I enjoyed it I am still happy I live in a country without them available to anyone that can satisfy an feo. I would hate to call America my home where everyone has access. One school shooting is too many and I wouldn't want it here. Let alone the numerous accidental deaths before you even start to look at the deliberate acts.

It's all personal choice and just because I like to shoot doesn't mean I have to support every other country pursuit or form of hunting.

That said as others have already said, I still wouldn't actively go out to get these things banned. Just because I don't agree with I don't feel the need to stop everyone else doing it!

I've read this post several times and am really struggling to get my head round the logic of it, assuming that is, that you're a firearms owner.

I've read this post several times and am really struggling to get my head round the logic of it, assuming that is, that you're a firearms owner.

Just look at the amount of gun related crime in the states compared to the UK. That's evidence enough for me for why I'm happy that hand guns are banned

Thanks jtd10, I wasn't seriously comparing the 2, but at the end of the day we all kill, or try and kill things for basically fun. Surely it's a bit hypocritical to pick when it is, and isn't ok, to suit your own agenda.

kennet,, I don't shoot for fun on animals, if I shoot for fun its on targets, I shoot because I,m doing pest control,,its a job

regarding the foxhunting,,,bring it back I say,,these anti,s are trying to ban everything that happens in the countryside, will they ban cars next ? as I,ve run a few animals over in my time

Edited by evo

I genuinely do not believe an "overwhelming proportion of society" think hunting should be banned! I believe it is unfounded, deliberately and cynically misleading propaganda spouted by the antis, I believe there are very many who are not bothered one way or the other, there are a lot of people who have no problem with it, there are some that are passionately against it, and there are many that don't know what they are talking about but blindly accept that it is cruel because a fox occasionally dies! And the protectionists say it is!

I also believe that some people are gullible and readily fall victim to the "if you say it enough it becomes true" brigade.

This view is purely mine and not directed at anyone in particular.

Possibly, but look at the responses on a shooting forum alone, surely if there was any group that would be all in favour it would be us. You are right though that many people are ambivalent towards the subject so my assertion that an overwhelming proportion of people are against fox hunting may be over-egged, but I still think it has no chance of a repeal and arguing for it could cause more negative press towards the shooting and fiels sports communities than is necessary.

Just look at the amount of gun related crime in the states compared to the UK. That's evidence enough for me for why I'm happy that hand guns are banned

I'm sorry but that's even more illogical than your previous post. To compare gun related crime in the UK to that of the USA is ridiculous.

I'm sorry but that's even more illogical than your previous post. To compare gun related crime in the UK to that of the USA is ridiculous.

I have re read my posts and can't for the life of me see how I've been illogical. Hand guns are legal in the U.S. And illegal in the UK. Comparing two country's with opposing rules in terms of hand guns is perfectly logical

I have re read my posts and can't for the life of me see how I've been illogical. Hand guns are legal in the U.S. And illegal in the UK. Comparing two country's with opposing rules in terms of hand guns is perfectly logical

Ok, to begin with you can't base the logic of your argument on a particular firearm with the premise that banning that particular type of firearm will prevent school shootings, as that is what you seem to want to base your argument on.

Handguns are readily available in the UK; in the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and N.Ireland. Even on mainland UK people still own CF handguns, not in the numbers they once were granted, but owned nonetheless. Also blackpowder handguns are still in plentiful supply in the UK.

You claim you're happy you live in a country which doesn't allow anyone to own a handgun by simply satisfying an FEO or words to that effect, but you do live in such a country I;m afraid.

There is nothing whatsoever to stop anyone who owns a LBR from walking into a UK school armed with one, there is nothing to stop anyone who owns a blackpowder revolver from doing the same.

You also live in a country where if you satisfy your FEO you can arm yourself with a CF lever-action carbine, a 50 round .22 semi automatic rifle, a 10 shot semi-automatic or 10 shot pump action shotgun, a straight-pull AR15 type variant etc and a high powered rifle in the calibre of your choice. There is nothing at all in place to prevent anyone from walking into a school with any of the aforementioned firearms. This is where your logic doesn't stand up.

It was just as illegal for Hamilton to walk into Dunblane primary school with his handguns as it still is today, but it will take more than a long barrel and an arm brace to make it any more improbable now than it was then.

I'm not trying to persuade you to embrace the idea of handgun ownership in the UK, really I'm not, but please don't believe the hype; question everything. The handgun ban had nothing to do with handguns.

Edited: Hamilton not Hammond.

Edited by Scully